1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'88 GMC Jimmy

Discussion in '4wd Suburban, Blazer and Jimmy' started by Powerhouse Ranch, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Powerhouse Ranch

Powerhouse Ranch 3G Connoisseur Supporting Member

First Name:
    Luke
    Truck Year:
    1980 & 1988
    Truck Model:
    C25 & V1500
    Engine Size:
    454 & 350
    wouldn't happen to have a picture of this would you? for more reference?

2. Vbb199

Vbb199 B-rate Hillbilly Customs

First Name:
    Vince
    Truck Year:
    91, 89, 87
    Truck Model:
    91 Blazer V1500- "K5ton", 89 Suburban R1500
    Engine Size:
    502, 350, 350

Please no steering blocks for dd.
    If you're gonna run big lift, invest in a D44 pass knuckle and buy or make a crossover arm

Curt likes this.
  3. 82sbshortbed

82sbshortbed Fuckemall!!

First Name:
    Doug
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    That looks like mine did. Lol

20210318_175308.jpg

Powerhouse Ranch likes this.
  4. Powerhouse Ranch

First Name:
    Luke
    Truck Year:
    1980 & 1988
    Truck Model:
    C25 & V1500
    Engine Size:
    454 & 350
    So i'm currently looking for an original power steering pump adjustment bracket. The first picture is of my dad's '87 Custom Deluxe 350, the second is my '88 Jimmy 350 (had AC) my bracket is huge due to the AC compressor mounting to it originally, but i'm doing an AC delete and am looking to clean up the bay a bit and simplify. anyone know where i could get such a bracket? Thanks

DSC01352_LI.jpg

DSC01326 - Copy_LI.jpg

5. Powerhouse Ranch

First Name:
    Luke
    Truck Year:
    1980 & 1988
    Truck Model:
    C25 & V1500
    Engine Size:
    454 & 350
    Excellent day today. Dropped the gas tank earlier this week, washed it out AND off today. Poured two jugs of LSR into it and filled tank 3/4 way full, let sit for a while. Then dumped and rinsed and dried (let me know, the two pics are after shots. Sending unit is also junk i realized, new one along with straps and squeak proof is on the way. Finished up the rear brakes and replaced the bearings and seals with some sexy Timkens. Meanwhile my partner in crime got the doors and tailgate stripped. Seeing what needs replaced, lubing the lubables. Tailgate is gonna be a pain but it is what it is. Getting them nice and ready for the sanding of a lifetime! I also cleaned off the Jimmy fender badge for a morale boost haha

DSC01428.JPG DSC01429.JPG DSC01430.JPG DSC01436.JPG
    DSC01427.JPG

Catbox and Turbo4whl like this.
  6. Powerhouse Ranch

First Name:
    Luke
    Truck Year:
    1980 & 1988
    Truck Model:
    C25 & V1500
    Engine Size:
    454 & 350
    Got the rear diff bolted back up with a new gasket and filled with premiummmmm oil

DSC01432.JPG DSC01434.JPG DSC01435.JPG DSC01437.JPG DSC01438.JPG

Catbox and Craig 85 like this.
  7. Powerhouse Ranch

First Name:
    Luke
    Truck Year:
    1980 & 1988
    Truck Model:
    C25 & V1500
    Engine Size:
    454 & 350
    DSC01439.JPG

8. rpcraft

rpcraft Full Access Member

First Name:
    Robert
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Jimmy
    Engine Size:
    LS 6.0 364 CID
    Shorten the bracket with a cutoff wheel if you plan on not having AC. Then paint it black and put it back.

9. Curt

Curt Supporting Member Supporting Member

First Name:
    Curtis
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K-30
    Engine Size:
    6” is a lot of lift via leaf springs.Personally,I wouldn’t go over 4” of lift.If it will be a dedicated mud truck,then yes,6” is ok.Probably won’t ride to well on the road.The more arch a spring has,the less flex it will give.

From the pic I see,your angle is definitely off on the drag link.You do want it to be parallel as much as possible,that way when the suspension flexes up or down it isn’t impossible to steer..The ultimate fix is cross over steering,but is expensive.

Not sure if anyone told you,but that steering box needs to be braced up if it isn’t.Offroad design has a kit.It is vital to help prevent a cracked frame.

I seen a blazer frame almost completely cracked in 1/2.Steering angles like that,with big tires will work out that problem quickly..

Powerhouse Ranch likes this.
  10. rpcraft

rpcraft Full Access Member

First Name:
    Robert
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Jimmy
    Engine Size:
    LS 6.0 364 CID
    I guess the amount of lift for me is always proportionate to the size of the tires. I know you can fit 33's on stock height, but I always feel it looks better somewhere between 0 to 2 inches. I went with a 4 inch lift on mine though because I found a deal on marketplace. I'm still in the process of installing it and instead of blocks on the rear am doing the ORD shackle flip brackets so I am hoping I am OK with how it looks but if I am not I'll probably just order some 2 inch front springs and ORD sells a 2 inch flip bracket now, which of course they didn't when I bought mine and it will be easy enough to swap out,

Curt and Powerhouse Ranch like this.
  11. Powerhouse Ranch

First Name:
    Luke
    Truck Year:
    1980 & 1988
    Truck Model:
    C25 & V1500
    Engine Size:
    454 & 350
    i'm running 35s

12. Powerhouse Ranch

First Name:
    Luke
    Truck Year:
    1980 & 1988
    Truck Model:
    C25 & V1500
    Engine Size:
    454 & 350
    in your opinion, what EXACTLY would you put on it? (links to these particular parts would be great)

HAPPY EASTER BTW

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  13. Curt

First Name:
    Curtis
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K-30
    Engine Size:
    It depends on what your goal is for the truck.A daily driver weekend warrior can work with a 2-3-4” lift.Myself,3” lift up front,2” lift in rear on 33”,35” after these tires.All springs,no blocks.However,people swear by a shackle flip with the stock rear spring.Seems like you might have some laying around,you could put new bushings,wire wheel them,check for cracks and paint.Just like new.

Stock steering can work well if not too extreme of angles used.

Even if you use your truck mostly offroad,I wouldn’t go 6” lift.I like to try and keep a low center of gravity.Specially a blazer or suburban that is top heavy.You’ll know exactly what I mean on some side hill action.It can get dangerous right now.Driving offroad takes common sense,but practice,and even then you can find yourself in over your head.

Of all the squarebody suppliers for offroad,Offroad Design has got what works best.The drawback I find with them is shipping is a killer,I feel like after you spend so much on a order,it should be free.I’ve been doing business with them since about 2008’.Recently have used DIY4X and am pleased with them,but the former is just the best out there for squarebodys.

35” tires would be my max tire size on the blazer running 6 lugs.Even then,don’t be surprised if you shit hubs and front u joints,and stub axles.

A rear locker will make you feel unstoppable.Find a 77’,78’,79’ 3/4 ton rear axle (14 bolt) and it will bolt right up to your blazer.U bolts and a little driveshaft work and your rolling.

That’s what I’d do.14 bolt rear,4” lift.Good shocks,steering brace,rear shock brace.

14. Curt

First Name:
    Curtis
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K-30
    Engine Size:
    Happy Easter brother.

15. Curt

First Name:
    Curtis
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K-30
    Engine Size:
    I agree.I like to make full use of my suspension.A good suspension keeps the tires planted and makes for a much more enjoyable trail experience.Don’t want tires to rub and want the suspension to flex,not the chassis.

The key is the right modifications in the right areas.Also,addressing the factory weak links.I don’t just thrash my truck,but I do sometimes and like that it holds up and I’m not limping home.I also like to show Jeep’s and others that I can wheel a Chevy and pull their happy asses out.

It’s definitely a way of life around here.There’s nothing else to do,really.Every 4x4 around here has some kind of mod,some just do it better than others.Mine has all mostly came from experience and research.I had a 77’ k-10 and it did well,but I wanted more and ended up stuck all the damn time.Then it was a 82’ k-10 and broke the front hubs,front driveshaft,ball joints,front shock mount on axle.Both those had 33” tires.

Then I threw 1 tons under a 80’ 1/2 ton with all the mods.Np205/Sm465 450hp.37” tires.That truck went everywhere.Broke a stock stub shaft on its maiden voyage.Upgraded to alloy shafts and never broke another thing again.Sold it for cheap (big mistake)but I never drove it and it sat while I was a dad and worked all the time.Now my kids are grown and I’m bored and found happiness in the hobby again.

I have my current truck.Not as extreme as the last but ready for action and a joy to drive.Gas gussler is really the only complaint.

Catbox and Powerhouse Ranch like this.