1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'88 GMC Jimmy

Discussion in '4wd Suburban, Blazer and Jimmy' started by Powerhouse Ranch, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Powerhouse Ranch

Powerhouse Ranch 3G Connoisseur Supporting Member

First Name:
    Luke
    Truck Year:
    1980 & 1988
    Truck Model:
    C25 & V1500
    Engine Size:
    454 & 350
    There have been increased talks of a roll cage. IF i were to get one, i'd want it to be set up sort of like this. does anyone know if such thing exists and where i could find one? thanks

1987-chevrolet-blazer-k5_LI.jpg

2. Powerhouse Ranch

First Name:
    Luke
    Truck Year:
    1980 & 1988
    Truck Model:
    C25 & V1500
    Engine Size:
    454 & 350
    Week 5 I think? I don't know... got the gas tank cleaned out and prepped, primed and painted on the exterior. Rebuilt the sending unit and i have new squeak proof and tank straps for when she goes in. My brother (who did his frame EXCEPTIONALLY on his '77 Cheyenne years ago with prepping, priming, painting against the elements) was unleashed on the Jimmy today. Doing a hell of a job so far. Meanwhile I replaced the front brake calipers that i ordered off of Brothers, my first Brothers purchase (i'm an LMC guy). Where the brake line meets the caliper was angled differently and required a little bit of grinding, also to help it fit on the truck too. Wasn't too happy about that. Then again there's very little anymore that doesn't require a little extra straight out of the box. So after the front brakes were done (still need to bleed them though) i moved onto the rear driveshaft FINALLY. Long story short, the original driveshaft snapped at the transfer case yoke, breaking both that end of the driveshaft and the yoke. Thanks to @yevgenievich selling me his original Texas NP205 yoke, i was able to replace my damaged one and put my new driveshaft in! The driveshaft that cost me $600. Yeah, it hurt a little bit. His hardware worked great and everything except the rear end side strap kit that my local Hovis sold me is too small i think. I don't wanna beat on it, looks like it wants to go but at the same time it doesn't. ANYWAY next steps will be to sort out the rest of the driveshaft, find hardware for the front driveshaft (strap kits and a new u joint) and throw that in and i'm beginning some sanding on the hood/tailgate. FUN STUFF

DSC01449.JPG DSC01450.JPG DSC01451.JPG DSC01455.JPG DSC01457.JPG

Catbox, Curt and bucket like this.
  3. Powerhouse Ranch

First Name:
    Luke
    Truck Year:
    1980 & 1988
    Truck Model:
    C25 & V1500
    Engine Size:
    454 & 350
    DSC01461.JPG

Doppleganger, Catbox, Curt and 3 others like this.
  4. Powerhouse Ranch

First Name:
    Luke
    Truck Year:
    1980 & 1988
    Truck Model:
    C25 & V1500
    Engine Size:
    454 & 350
    Couple random questions:

-Does anyone have a mechanical diagram to a '88 Jimmy/Blazer tailgate with removable cap and NON power window?

-How exactly is a horn wired in? I bought the truck with a separate button wired in STUPIDLY with no trace in the actual column, i want to do it right

-And what is the shift diagram for a NP205? can't seem to find any, i'm new to 4x4 and the truck doesn't have any

thanks gentleman

5. Curt

Curt Supporting Member Supporting Member

First Name:
    Curtis
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K-30
    Engine Size:

Powerhouse Ranch likes this.
  6. Craig 85

Craig 85 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Craig
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K30 SRW
    Engine Size:
    454/TH-400/NP205
    If you mean the shift pattern, it this.

[​IMG]

hoagster, Curt and Powerhouse Ranch like this.
  7. Bextreme04

Bextreme04 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Eric
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K25
    Engine Size:
    350-4bbl
    Is that a 6" BLOCK for the lift in the rear?!?!?! :wtf:

I'd get rid of that fast... maybe a 4" Shackle flip on the stock springs or a 2" shackle flip with 4" Soft ride springs(either Skyjacker or Tuff Country) to maintain that 6" of lift while still giving a good ride.

8. Powerhouse Ranch

First Name:
    Luke
    Truck Year:
    1980 & 1988
    Truck Model:
    C25 & V1500
    Engine Size:
    454 & 350
    close, 5 inch block. i have yet to drive the thing to see how the current setup for the lift is

9. Powerhouse Ranch

First Name:
    Luke
    Truck Year:
    1980 & 1988
    Truck Model:
    C25 & V1500
    Engine Size:
    454 & 350
    thank you!

Curt likes this.
  10. Powerhouse Ranch

First Name:
    Luke
    Truck Year:
    1980 & 1988
    Truck Model:
    C25 & V1500
    Engine Size:
    454 & 350
    Well i went to finish putting in the driveshaft on the rear end, ends up the previous owner had stripped out the yoke somehow so i can't get my bolt straps tight. So now i need a new rear end yoke, which is okay because i need to get hardware anyway for the front shaft, which i'm painting up to match my brandy new one. I scraped the dreaded yellow paint off of the driver front fender and about 95% of the tailgate and was able to get the emblems surprisingly clean, although the only one im not replacing will be the fuel injection one (hard to find). Body guy told me that with what i had planned, scraping off all the yellow and then getting a 8" buffer with 80 grit and take the rest to bare metal and hit with epoxy. After that get all the body work done to it, then the paint. Sounds reasonable enough; just happy to be getting rid of that darn yellow! Meanwhile my brother continues frame prep/prime/paint. We're not doing it all now, still haven't washed the thing since i got it (it doesn't drive and outside of my bay is mud, we WONT be pushing it out of a mudhole) so it's alot of cleaning by hand. The rear is the main goal, as we can hit it all while the gas tank is out, and wait for the rest until we get it washed and the floorplan replaced. I had also quickly finished the gas tank; put the sending unit in, buttoned her up and put on the anti squeak. Ready to go in when the painting is done! Pulled the fuel neck off too, she's a little rusty. . .Productive day indeed

DSC01476.JPG DSC01478.JPG DSC01479.JPG DSC01480.JPG DSC01482.JPG

Catbox and Curt like this.
  11. Powerhouse Ranch

First Name:
    Luke
    Truck Year:
    1980 & 1988
    Truck Model:
    C25 & V1500
    Engine Size:
    454 & 350
    DSC01487.JPG DSC01488.JPG DSC01490.JPG DSC01491.JPG

Craig 85 likes this.
  12. Curt

First Name:
    Curtis
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K-30
    Engine Size:
    If you like those front springs,some greasable bushings,new Teflon pads are available from offroad design.Be like brand new

13. Powerhouse Ranch

First Name:
    Luke
    Truck Year:
    1980 & 1988
    Truck Model:
    C25 & V1500
    Engine Size:
    454 & 350
    thanks for the idea. btw your profile picture is kick ass. got yourself a fine truck with a beautiful stance

14. Curt

First Name:
    Curtis
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K-30
    Engine Size:
    Right on!I wish my build was there again where you are,but then again,don’t.Once it really starts coming together that feeling of progress is great and seems to speed up.

It’s a great way to spend my time...and money.Helps keep me sober and I can see where my resources went.

Catbox and Powerhouse Ranch like this.
  15. Powerhouse Ranch

First Name:
    Luke
    Truck Year:
    1980 & 1988
    Truck Model:
    C25 & V1500
    Engine Size:
    454 & 350
    Few updates, still a total mess on the driveshafts/yokes situations haha, dang i wish i knew more. In other news i started tearing into the front hubs to replace what's necessary and pull the axles (u joints need replaced) beyond bone dry and squeaks when you barely even move it. Will do this this weekend, i need to get new u joints though and won't be able to get them till Monday. My pal's been POUNDING away on the frame, dang lucky to have him (he's my brother, obviously), have the rear pretty much wrapped up. Since the rear diff is put together again and the gas tank out, was the perfect time to paint it all up to the where the rear floor pan and cab floor pan meet, since it will be replaced down the line. Gas tank hopefully this weekend will be going back in, all brand new practically, can't wait

AND A SERIOUS QUESTION:

The bearing races in the hub, are they supposed to spin in place (all time 4 wheel drive), thanks

DSC01504.JPG DSC01502.JPG DSC01503.JPG DSC01505.JPG DSC01506.JPG

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021