88 c30 cranks long time before starting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donnie Kingrey

Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I recently bought a 88 c30. 454. The guy I bought it from put new cap, rotor, plugs and wires in it. When starting it seems to take a long time to fire up. It cranks for several seconds before it starts. One time it would not start. Let it set overnight and it started. Looking for some direction. It has two new tanks with sending units also.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Have the battery load tested for starters. I chased a problem like this down for a while and found it was my battery. It would long crank when the vehicle was cold (and when the ambient temps were cold) In warmer weather it would crank right up. Other places to test are the fuel pump relay and oil pressure sender. Those systems are tied in together and can cause a hard starting problem.

Get in the truck and turn the key on but dont start, make sure to listen for the fuel pump priming. It primes for a couple of seconds then shuts off. If its not doing this then check the fuel pump relay. Its bolted to firewall to the right of the underhood light.

You must be registered for see images attach

Also, when you do finally crank the motor over, look at your oil pressure gauge and take note if it builds pressure before finally lighting off.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

Donnie Kingrey

Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
They guy I bought it from done about everything except a TBI rebuild. The back story of the truck is it spent it’s life in Tucson. When he got it it was non running. He put new tanks,sending units and pumps in it. New cap, wires and rotor.

radio2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
83 and 88
Truck Model
83 C10 and 88 R10 Burb
Engine Size
Subscribing
I have an '88 burb that does the same thing. Once it cranks for the first time, it cranks normally afterwards.
Outside temp doesn't seem to make a difference.
Fuel pump primes
Oil pressure only increases once cranked.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
If you have a matching, consistent injector spray while cranking, it might be spark related. I’d check for distributor cap corrosion, distributor rust, a shift in initial timing, or other failing high energy components, particularly the pickup coil and the HEI coil.

You must be registered for see images attach

Tanked

Reaction score
First Name
denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
Mine does the same thing but watching the oil pressure gauge is very good advice that's as far as I got it I tried grounding the oil sending unit and seeing if that works that did not work turns out that's not the computer oil sending unit the oil sending unit for the computer is behind the distributor with two pins. I'm still looking I'm thinking of jumping those out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL