'87 TBI R10 dual tank problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
A friend has a problem with his R10 1987 TBI his truck has stopped ... and runs it and doesn't want to start, put a little gas in the trottle body looking to start so there seems to be a problem with the current somwhere because we no longer hear the two pumps (dual tank) or the click of the relay, check all the ground everything seems ok, the switch selector tank separator the connection has heated and partially melted, so we do not hear the selector module either tank, on a current test at the selector we see a voltage of 6.5, both fuel pump and tank are new, as my friend is in a hurry to get back on the road, we thought we had bypassed all this to only have a functional tank for the moment (big restoration in full view for this winter ) are you here who we do kind of bypass and tell me how they did it? ;)

You must be registered for see images attach

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
i bypass one tank from the selector module..he can start but run like crap...normal the ECM is still sleeping can't find where is the problem... got current on the ECM, ground are good, no sound from the relay and nothing happening when i test it with the red plug...try a another ECM..again..nope now i run out of idees ;)

PS: got a SES code 12...it only flashing 12

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
got a feelling that this code is my problem:
GM OBD Trouble Code 12
No Distributor Reference Pulse (Diagnostic Test Active)
The Engine Control Module uses the distributor reference pulse to calculate the engine speed. On newer engines, the Crank Shaft Position Sensor performs this function.

Fault Code Description

12 - No Distributor reference pulse (diagnostic test active)

Symptoms

• When flashing the Check Engine Light to read codes, code 12 will always display first, indicating the diagnostic system is active
  • The engine will not run with a "hard" code 12 set
Common Problems

• Chances are you will never need to diagnose a code 12. Rather, the problem would be a crank, no-start condition.
  • If code 12 does not flash, that would indicate a communication problem with the ECM.
  • Code 12 does not show when reading codes with a scan tool. If there is a communication problem, the scan tool will let you know.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
"87 tbi 350 died on me one day, had no fuel or spark, I watched this video and replaced the distributor and like magic it’s up and running better then before."

Hum gonna try this for shure! :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg