'87 GMC issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brownsquare

Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
4.3 V6
Hey guys. New member with an '87 GMC R1500 long box. Truck has a 4.3 and a 3-speed on the column. The bushing between the column lever under the hood and the shift rod needs to be replaced. The local Chev dealer has no interest in helping me and steers me to LMC. LMC only has stuff for automatics. I know she's a unicorn but someone has to have parts for 'three on the trees'! Really don't want to switch to a floor shift...haven't heard good stories about the conversion kits.. Also looking for new seals for the trans (input, output, side cover) and having the same issue. Help? Thank you! -Marc.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Hopefully someone will chime in with a better idea than I have but what I've done at the shop for hard to find bushings like this is to take them off the truck and go down to the parts store and ask if you can please riffle though there bushings. You might get lucky enough to find something that will be close enough to work. If you have the bushing off and can snap a picture of it and upload it to the site I might be better able to help you.

Brownsquare

Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
4.3 V6
Thanks for the suggestion! Probably going to look into it. Meanwhile I've got the trans out for a clutch change and am in the middle of doing a reseal on the Saginaw 3-gear. Very pleased to have found several sites that still offer the o-rings, seals, and side cover gasket. These trucks are quickly becoming my favorite due to the overwhelming availability of parts!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg