87’ Black Thunder !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
You got a nice fricken truck man..

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Howdy from Ohio! That Burb of yours has some very nice bits put into it. I vote for polished wheels and tires with more sidewall, but I may be biased lol.

You must be registered for see images attach

BlackThunder

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
350 sbc
Holy crap you have high steer..

Ah thanks for the reply!! That makes me feel a lot better hearing you say it. What is High steer??
There is ss break lines to the front. I got excited when I saw 4 disk breaks too.
Looking again, I do not see a sway bar front or back.

PS are the HUGE rims growing on you yet.

BlackThunder

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
350 sbc
Howdy from Ohio! That Burb of yours has some very nice bits put into it. I vote for polished wheels and tires with more sidewall, but I may be biased lol.

You must be registered for see images attach
Nice one!! I like your style!

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Ah thanks for the reply!! That makes me feel a lot better hearing you say it. What is High steer??
There is ss break lines to the front. I got excited when I saw 4 disk breaks too.
Looking again, I do not see a sway bar front or back.

PS are the HUGE rims growing on you yet.
They have become invisible... all I see now are a disposable set of 'rollers' while your waiting for the new boots to get mounted.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Does you rear driveshaft have a slip joint in it..? Or slip joint in the transfer case. If that's the case (pun) you may want to consider a CV coming out of the TC and slip joint in the shaft. Long shocks, lose the lift blocks, and you will have more suspension droop which = better off road articulation.
This is related to a shackle reverse kit.. as the rear diff gets 'swung' lower on the reverse shackles, the input of the diff will be pointing up more or less in the vicinity of the tc output. With a CV joint on the tc you don't need to have the same U joint angle front to rear.
Might have to shim slight angle adjustment to prefect the driveshaft angle. Also understand that a reverse shackle will move the rear wheel slightly forward, and well you can see it in the fender opening. So a quick simple is and Add-An -Inch or Easy-inch 1" lift block that have offset leaf pin hole... you can gain and inch and move the axle forward or backward 1".

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Those are some major upgrades on that unit for sure. Did you get if for a good price since buddy got it on a trade?
Definitely recommend getting rid of those rear blocks and do a shackle flip like said. Also I see your missing your torque converter cover. I would find one if you're keeping the 700. Also I think your missing a transfer case support bracket.

BlackThunder

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
350 sbc
You guys are spot on with the tall leaf springs and smaller rear lift blocks. I'm doing that! We have big rocks here in AZ.
ShiftPro That slip CV on the Diff sounds like an awesome mod. Originalthor Got it for 4k. Got to say its nice to have a truck I can easily get under.
I will look again for a transfer case support? Thanks for the heads up.

As for the transmission, I'll have to rebuild or replace due to the lack of Reverse. I'm not sure but I think the guy that got it on trade didn't know to wait for the RPM's to go down before slamming it in to reverse. There is nothing there, feels like "N". I'm pretty sure its why he let it go.

Right now, I love the way the 350 drives with the 700r4
Ive never driven anything with such a long power band.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Rear discs... man..

Are those Caddy calipers? I don't see an e brake cable but I'm blind anyway
I believe they are k10 front calipers on the rear. Late 70s eldo calipers would have a bolt for the e-brake link in the same vicinity as where his hydraulic line enters.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
:welcome:
76-78 Cadillac Eldorado rear calipers is what you want if you want to have a parking brake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DENREXX169