86 gmc C1500 Blower motor won’t turn on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billys44s

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
High sierra
Engine Size
400 Sbc
So I’m having an issue with my blower motor, I just bought a new one a few weeks back and it worked for the 1st few days but it suddenly stop powering on, so I decided to do some digging and if I hook a wire straight up to power it comes on but if I use the fan controls inside the cab, nothing happens, I Checked the main power wire going to the plug and it gets 12 volts while the switch is on but the blower motor still doesn’t do anything

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Edit: misread post. I'd suggest removing the HVAC switch from your dash, and tracing the wires.

I once had a bullnose Ford pickup that had this same problem. It ended up being the ignition switch on the steering column. On many vehicles, most of the key-on devices power (such as the blower motor) originates from the ignition switch.

Last edited:

Arizona Ranger K5

Reaction score
First Name
Harper
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Silverado package
Engine Size
350/TH350/NP208/GM12/4.56
There is a "heater fan relay" on the outside of the a/c box (on my '81) and there is also a "heater fan resistor" in the top of the a/c box. heater fan resister I believe controls speed setting, relay controls operation of fan. I have to change out both of mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84