85 C20 AT suddenly backfires; now runs crappy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krcaddis

Reaction score
First Name
Gene
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
My recently re-powered crate 350 (TH400) suddenly backfired cruising about 40 MPH and now sort of lugs, less power and sputters on decel. I suspect the timing. I changed harmonic balancers to match the rest of the pulleys, located the TDC (different place than marked), set timing based on that ran crappy. Limped it to a retired expert who set it quite a bit different by ear. Found a shop to replace all the rotted emissions spaghetti and it runs pretty good for about 50 miles for a new tank of gas. The backfire happened about 10 miles later. There's two pieces missing on the Quadrajet 4 BBL carb after the rebuild: dashpot for the idle and the diaphragm for the choke. Those vacuum tubes are temporarily plugged and there seems to have little effect. Other than that, the crate engine is a used one w/20k+/-. Truck has 42k.

Might the timing chain have jumped a tooth? Distributor loose and rotated? Bad gas reached the freshly rebuilt carb? (unlikely)? What else?

JoeR Jr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0/4L80E
If your timing changed, make sure the top of the distributor shaft didn't come loose on the splines. Your symptom matches that problem.
Joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jakebr8k