84 GMC 1500, Air Conditioning questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Isotope

Reaction score
First Name
ISO
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra
Engine Size
5.7 Vortec
I acquired an 84 GMC 1500, which was a project that is literally 96% complete. The truck runs great, has a late model Late Model Vortec / Cenerbolt Head 350, Rowdy Comp Cam, Street Warrior Intake, Edelbrock Carb, Aluminum Headers w/ Lock Bolts, 700R4 Overdrive Automatic Trans, 2500 Stall, a newer interior, with a new Air Conditioning system.

The problem I am suffering from is somewhat confusing issue to me as I am by no means an A/C guy. When I engage the Air Conditioning, the truck loses significant power, to the point of stalling, or nearly stalling, regardless of if I am traveling at a high rate of speed, or if I am idling, any suggestions?

I also noticed that the vent on the driver side, nearest to the door is not blowing anything from the vent; regardless of if I have the unit set to Vent, or attempting to use the Air Conditioning, or heat. May I ask for guidance regarding tracking down any diagram which will allow me to take apart the lower portion of the dash to investigate if I am missing a vent connection?

I spent a significant amount of time looking through the forum; however, I am unsure as to if, or when the units change between years. For that reason, I thought it would be best to ask.

Thanks in advance,
Iso

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
First, check ALL of the vacuum lines for the HVAC.

It sounds as though you have a vacuum leak.

Red Rex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 1500 4 WD shortbed
Engine Size
For your vent issue check that the duct hose behind the glove box is connected. My 84 model has a habit of slipping off

Isotope

Reaction score
First Name
ISO
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra
Engine Size
5.7 Vortec
First, check ALL of the vacuum lines for the HVAC.

It sounds as though you have a vacuum leak.

Will do, thanks for your time... I will report back.

Isotope

Reaction score
First Name
ISO
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra
Engine Size
5.7 Vortec
For your vent issue check that the duct hose behind the glove box is connected. My 84 model has a habit of slipping off

I will look at that shortly. Does the glove box need to come all the way out, in order to check the duct hose?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
No you don't have to pull the glove box. I have my A/C system out right now to rebuild it. Here's the hose set up. I did not include the defrost vents. You may be missing the tube with the white tag or it slipped off on the right side. Look behind the ash tray.

Also, losing lots of power is normal. I had a fully equipped Calif. emissions '79 K15 with a 350. 165HP was stock. It was a dog with the A/C on.

You must be registered for see images attach

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
I will look at that shortly. Does the glove box need to come all the way out, in order to check the duct hose?

Sorry guys. I'm still trying to figure out how to make multi posts here so in the mean time I just copy/paste.

Had the same issue with my 86. You can reach up underneath thw glove box and check it.

The factory AC setup has a solenoid attached to the stock QJ that has a rod that pops out when the AC is turned on. This rod engages with the throttle plate and is completely adjustable to add a little higher idle which eliminates your problem. Mine works perfectly for that exact reason.
Sounds like you need to find out what that equivalent part is associated with your AC system and either install it or fix it.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
Crap...I just reread this. I told you about the passenger side vent duct.
The driver side duct is exactly as Craig85 pointed out.
You can get to it easily from under the dash on the driver side but you have to first remove the plastic and metal covers that are just underneath the steering wheel at the bottom the dash. Thats the only way you can R&R that duct.

Isotope

Reaction score
First Name
ISO
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra
Engine Size
5.7 Vortec
Crap...I just reread this. I told you about the passenger side vent duct.
The driver side duct is exactly as Craig85 pointed out.
You can get to it easily from under the dash on the driver side but you have to first remove the plastic and metal covers that are just underneath the steering wheel at the bottom the dash. Thats the only way you can R&R that duct.

Perfect, I will have a look shortly and report back. Does the driver side vent plug into the system just as the passenger side?

Isotope

Reaction score
First Name
ISO
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra
Engine Size
5.7 Vortec
No you don't have to pull the glove box. I have my A/C system out right now to rebuild it. Here's the hose set up. I did not include the defrost vents. You may be missing the tube with the white tag or it slipped off on the right side. Look behind the ash tray.

Also, losing lots of power is normal. I had a fully equipped Calif. emissions '79 K15 with a 350. 165HP was stock. It was a dog with the A/C on.

Thank you. I will have a look shortly.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
Perfect, I will have a look shortly and report back. Does the driver side vent plug into the system just as the passenger side?

Yes, all the way over by the ash tray.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Yes, all the way over by the ash tray.

There is a flexible hose that connects from the main A/C housing to the right dash duct. It's the round fitting on the upper right in my second picture.

Isotope

Reaction score
First Name
ISO
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra
Engine Size
5.7 Vortec
There is a flexible hose that connects from the main A/C housing to the right dash duct. It's the round fitting on the upper right in my second picture.

Nailed it - THANK YOU!

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome: