84 Chevy P30??? Anyone know anything??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Sooo in my endless search for a junkyard 454 engine for my truck I find this. A 1984 chevy motorhome with 69k miles... Owner says its been sitting for a year. But that it ran and drove when it got parked. Hes saying he'll get it running and driving for me, he will pressure wash it, put a battery and clean gas in it and for $500 i have to take the whole thing. He doesn't want me to take just the drivetrain unfortunately and rip the thing apart and leave it there. I have the space to beat the nose off the damn thing and take its heart out. But before hand I have some questions.

1) How do i know this is specifically a 454 4 bolt main block? And not say a 427 or 366 2 bolt block.

2) am i mistakingly seing value where there isn't any? I drool over the thought of a healthy 454 4 bolt. But am I jumping too soon at this offer? Should i keep looking?

Idk why but around here junkyards don't have old cars. Mostly crashed modern ones. Oh how I wish for a junkyard near me with nothing but old school trucks and muscle cars.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

84 M1008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1008 K30
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
It's a 4 bolt truck motor, what are you planning to put it in?

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
It's a 4 bolt truck motor, what are you planning to put it in?
Eventually in my 84 C10 project, but there's a lot i gotta do before then. I want a motor already so i can put it on a stand and start buying parts and putting it together.

If i may ask, how do you know its a 4 bolt? And how can I find out what cubes it is? I know it'll be stamped on the block but from what I've researched the motor on those is waaaayyyy in there.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
VIN code W = 454. Highly doubt it's been replaced with anything else.
Thank you for clearing that! And I'm guessing that the chances of a 2 bolt being put to work an RV aren't likely... Itd be nice to make sure.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I used to be an RV technician for a short time and also gave an actual lot of experience with a Grumman P30 chassis. I am excited FOR YOU! Great block, GREAT transmission, and a veritable slew of other parts you can and want to use!

But mannn...that is a whole lot of motorhome! If it's not too MOLDY on the inside, it could be used for a huge number of things - after you sealed the top.

I wouldn't simply get after it with a sawzall or somethin, everything really will be useable - the wiring harnesses come to mind.

If you don't keep it for a storage unit or bury it, you can call some dude on craigslist that says he will haul your scrap metal for free? You know the guy...
winky-face ;)

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
I used to be an RV technician for a short time and also gave an actual lot of experience with a Grumman P30 chassis. I am excited FOR YOU! Great block, GREAT transmission, and a veritable slew of other parts you can and want to use!

But mannn...that is a whole lot of motorhome! If it's not too MOLDY on the inside, it could be used for a huge number of things - after you sealed the top.

I wouldn't simply get after it with a sawzall or somethin, everything really will be useable - the wiring harnesses come to mind.

If you don't keep it for a storage unit or bury it, you can call some dude on craigslist that says he will haul your scrap metal for free? You know the guy...
winky-face ;)
Great transmission? What would be in that thing? I would like to go 6 speed manual in my truck. Like a t56 from an Fbody. But I havnt decided on that yet because im not sure if the gear ratios will line up with the 454's power curve. So I was thinking I'd just junk the transmission along with the rest of the body, but ill look into selling it and getting my 500 back if its of any value.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I hear that some of those larger motorhomes also came with a auxillary trans / overdrive unit.

You could probably sell some of the RV components on Craigslist.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Check the engine casting number on the back of the block on the driver's side. Not all 454's are 4 bolts. I know the engine I recently pulled out of my truck was a 2 bolt. Luckily the replacement was a 4 bolt.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
I hear that some of those larger motorhomes also came with a auxillary trans / overdrive unit.

You could probably sell some of the RV components on Craigslist.
I actually don't know what an overdrive unit is. I know what overdrive is and does in a transmission, but I've never heard of an overdrive unit. But yes my plan is to part put the drivetrain and just junk the body.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Check the engine casting number on the back of the block on the driver's side. Not all 454's are 4 bolts. I know the engine I recently pulled out of my truck was a 2 bolt. Luckily the replacement was a 4 bolt.
So that's the thing, I dont think I'll be able to see the block casting number prior to desmantling the truck just because of how deep in there the engine is. Access is very limited from what I've researched.

But where can I find a guide on how to read the casting number to check if its a 4 bolt? What am I looking for?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I got a P30 based motorhome running to sell, and the engine and transmission were excellent. It had a TH400 so I would imagine yours also does. I couldn’t imagine it having anything else. Also, I think they’re talking about a Gear Vendor unit so instead of having three speeds, it would have six. Mine didn’t have that, however.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
I got a P30 based motorhome running to sell, and the engine and transmission were excellent. It had a TH400 so I would imagine yours also does. I couldn’t imagine it having anything else. Also, I think they’re talking about a Gear Vendor unit so instead of having three speeds, it would have six. Mine didn’t have that, however.
Do you know if all p30 big blocks are 4 bolt?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I have the assumption that they are, but I’m afraid I don’t know for sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28