1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

84 C20 Silverado Project #1

Discussion in '2wd Pick-Ups C/R 20 2500 C/R 30 3500' started by HotRodPC, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Rusty Nail

Rusty Nail Victim of Culture

First Name:
    Rusty
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20, K5
    Engine Size:
    350, 350
    Are we gonna eat lunch tomorrow or?
    I'm scheduled 9-6 and am left to presume an average lunch time? 1? ish? Prolly 1-2.
    12-1? 12:39-1-30?
    LOOK I DONT HAVE AN EXACT TIME! :D

If you don't wanna then you don't wanna. Pick some place cheap though that has free refills.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  2. HotRodPC

HotRodPC Administrator Staff Member

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    85 K20 LWB / 86 K5
    Truck Model:
    Silverado / Silverado
    Engine Size:
    454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73 350 - 700R4 - 4.10
    Sure I wanna, What sux though, I'm supposed to be in a wrecker tomorrow, so if I don't have a call going on at that time, let's do it. If I get a call, it'll have to be a quick one. Hate to say it, but we'll just have to play it by ear. Pickles works it's close. Of course there's all kinds of places on NW12th St too.

3. HotRodPC

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    85 K20 LWB / 86 K5
    Truck Model:
    Silverado / Silverado
    Engine Size:
    I PM'ed you my cell # from the 405. When you know a closer time, you can text or call me and see what's up, if I'm on a call or not. Hopefully we can work it out.

4. Rusty Nail

Rusty Nail Victim of Culture

First Name:
    Rusty
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20, K5
    Engine Size:
    350, 350
    Cool dude. No worries, we'll figure it out.

5. HotRodPC

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    85 K20 LWB / 86 K5
    Truck Model:
    Silverado / Silverado
    Engine Size:
    Wellll, I may have FUCT up beyond all Phuk ups. This past summer I had a small coolant leak. Not wasting Antifreeze, I just filled it with water til I got I finally had a few minutes to investigate that leak that I thought was the heater core. Come to find out, I was lucky and it was just a rotted heater hose. I clipped the end of the hose off, and re attached it to the heater core. Then filled it with coolant/Antifreeze....... SO I THOUGHT !!!

After 2 nights of 5 degree weather, one afternoon of about 36 degree weather, I see 2 streams of something leaking out from under the truck. Looked like water. Pulled the radiator cap. Radiator full of snow cone like ice.

6. Georgeb

Georgeb Full Access Member

First Name:
    George
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 Burb Z71
    Engine Size:
    I didn't even need to read your whole post before I figured out what was coming. Lets hope it popped the plugs and that there was enough antifreez to let it flow and equalize. Fingers crossed.

7. HotRodPC

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    85 K20 LWB / 86 K5
    Truck Model:
    Silverado / Silverado
    Engine Size:
    I sure hope it's OK. That crate 454 can't have over 40,000 miles on it. I started it up, got quite a bit of water out of both tailpipes. I hope it's just that much condensation. I let it run for about 5 minutes, shut it off, went back 20 minutes later and let it run 10 minutes, then opened the drain cock on the radiator. It's just sitting with nothing in it now. We've got some 60's weather coming and I"ll fill it up with water and pressure test it, then drain it again and fill with 50/50 Antifreeze mix if it's OK and replacing any freeze plugs that might be popped out of it. It's leaking from directly under the oil pan sump so I figure at least 1 plug is popped and it was running down the side of the block as it thawed.

8. bucket

bucket Super Moderator Staff Member

First Name:
    Andy
    Truck Year:
    '77, '78, '79, '84, '88
    Truck Model:
    K5 thru K30
    Engine Size:
    350-454
    Ugh. Hopefully its just a popped plug.

9. HotRodPC

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    85 K20 LWB / 86 K5
    Truck Model:
    Silverado / Silverado
    Engine Size:
    Me too. I've had enough bad luck lately. Or maybe it's not bad luck, maybe I deserve all this hell for some reason. :shrug:

10. Darkrider

Darkrider Full Access Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Truck Year:
    1984/1986
    Truck Model:
    Custom Deluxe/Sierra
    Engine Size:
    350/305
    Any updates on this truck?

11. HotRodPC

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    85 K20 LWB / 86 K5
    Truck Model:
    Silverado / Silverado
    Engine Size:
    Looking back on the last few posts, I guess I never did update the engine is fine when I had snow cone ice in the radiator from a couple nights in the low teens. Not sure where that water under it came from as it thawed, but I never did find any coolant leaks and I pressure tested the entire cooling system up to 15lbs psi. Though for some reason it does seem to run hotter now and gets there quick. If I let it idle for about 15 minutes it'll overheat. Water Pump is new last year with little to no use since. So long as I keep it moving it won't overheat but will run 210 and it's not even hot yet. I'm thinking maybe fan clutch or a blockage in the radiator cuz it's not losing antifreeze and when it does overheat, the overflow catches it all and I see it boiling in the resevoir. As it cools down it draws the coolant back into the radiator so the cooling is working as it should, just running hot for some reason.

On another note, this project is actually probably dead. It'll be consolidated with my K10/K20 projects. Funds aren't going to allow me to have both projects. So I'll need this engine and truck bed. I really prefer as small block in the 4x4 but...:shrug:

12. jake wells

jake wells Can i be me?

First Name:
    jake
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    custom deluxe 10
    Engine Size:
    good to hear the old peg legger is alive and kicking.

13. HotRodPC

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    85 K20 LWB / 86 K5
    Truck Model:
    Silverado / Silverado
    Engine Size:
    Well, I got stung for lack of maintenance. Remember I don't plan on keep this truck. The parts are to be used to complete my K10/K20 Conversion and my K5 and this truck is to be dissolved and live within 2 other builds so there's issues it has and I don't bother fixing them so long as they're not dangerous.

So I'm driving it the other day and the steering wheel all of a sudden was ripped outta my hands and a nasty clunk noise from the front Left. I limped it the rest of the way to the house for about 2 miles. It made some clunk noises a couple more times and didn't steer right. I thought the front end was falling out of it.

Pulled the wheel off, low and behold, no the inboard rotor is chewed to all hell with 2 very deep grooves and the pad is gone gone gone down to the metal. So I made it out to my dad's this weekend to get a rotor of the old C20 frame I have out there and the new pads I had bought for that 80 GMC I had.

Started with the passenger side since I figured it might be easier. It was, pads were still 50%, but I changed them anyway. Started the driver side, got the caliper and pads off. Took the castle nut off, washer out and dammit if the friggin inner race on the outter bearing isn't seized on the spindle. Yep, the grease is dried up, but no sign of excessive heat, bearing was still in OK shape too.

I've already tore the bearing up trying to get it out since I brought the known good and well greased bearings off the C20 frame with the rotor.

So who has some tips on getting this old bearing race off the spindle? I've done them before like this and it's just pure hell. Just thought someone might know of a secret I'm not thinking about.

89Suburban likes this.
  14. idahovette

idahovette Full Access Member

First Name:
    Perry
    Truck Year:
    1975-1979
    Truck Model:
    K20-K10
    Engine Size:
    Use a cutoff wheel(worn down smaller) at an angle on the race to stay away from the seal surface. Cut through as much as you can, then use a sharp chisel in the cut mark .It will usually split it and finish it off. Be careful !!

89Suburban and bucket like this.
  15. HotRodPC

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    85 K20 LWB / 86 K5
    Truck Model:
    Silverado / Silverado
    Engine Size:
    It's the outter bearing. It's inset to the hub lip so it would take a blade about the size of a quarter. I was hoping I'd have a cut off wheel for my dremel, but those damn races are very hardened. I didn't even have a drill bit sharp or tough enough to put nothing more than a dimple in it.