1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

84 C20 Silverado Project #1

Discussion in '2wd Pick-Ups C/R 20 2500 C/R 30 3500' started by HotRodPC, Oct 12, 2010.

1. HotRodPC

HotRodPC Administrator Staff Member

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    85 K20 LWB / 86 K5
    Truck Model:
    Silverado / Silverado
    Engine Size:
    454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73 350 - 700R4 - 4.10
    ********** [​IMG] ********** UNDER CONSTRUCTION ********** [​IMG] **********

Here is the 84 C20 I bought from an Airmen off Dyess, AFB in Abilene, TX where my daughter and SIL were stationed. The AFB told them to get it running or get it hauled off. So they called Pick a Part and they would not take it without the title that was in AR where the couple was originally from. It was her dads truck, and he had given it to them to move to Dyess, AFB. The dad had put a new crate 454 in it a few years previously and they said it had 30-40K miles on it. The truck is ugly and the Turbo 400 trans with 171,000 took a dive when they were pulling a double axle U Haul trailer fully loaded. I have never ever seen a Turbo 400 in such horrific shape when I pulled it apart. I'll probably do a tech write up on that since I took plenty of pics. Lots of carnage !!! The truck has all the Heavy Duty RPO codes including electric cooling fan that still work along with the water pump fan, and 14 bolt FF rear end instead of the standard 14b Semi Float for 84 models. Heavy Duty front and rear springs. Seemed to have all the good stuff.

C20Silverado6.jpg

C20Silverado1.jpg

C20Silverado5.jpg

C20Silverado7.jpg

81_C10_4SquareStrip1.jpg

thomas harvey and Mandoguy like this.
  2. Irishman999

Irishman999 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K-1500 High Sierra
    Engine Size:
    Dude that thing is in great shape! It looks way better than my daily driver. I look forward to your write up on that trans, I have always wondered what was inside.

3. HotRodPC

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    85 K20 LWB / 86 K5
    Truck Model:
    Silverado / Silverado
    Engine Size:
    Here is the bad stuff on the body. Dent in top of the cab, small rust spot under the passenger side door molding, that is actually bigger than it appeared after I took the molding off. Also just surface rust on the top of the cab and the hood. Also had a dent in the bed on the driver side, but I had pulled the body molding off and popped it out before pics, so its fairly straight now. But, Cab corners, rockers, floor pan and fenders were ZERO Rust.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  4. j-dogg

j-dogg Junior Member

you know what your missing right? the shifter ha.that is a nice truck man

5. HotRodPC

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    85 K20 LWB / 86 K5
    Truck Model:
    Silverado / Silverado
    Engine Size:
    Ohhhh trust you me. You'll love the write up on this trans. I'll do that someday soon. Lots and lots of carnage. And you'll be amazed at how I handeled it and made the trans better than new and other than labor, it didn't cost me a dime. In fact I made money on the deal. That's just how I roll I guess !!!

6. HotRodPC

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    85 K20 LWB / 86 K5
    Truck Model:
    Silverado / Silverado
    Engine Size:
    LMAO, this is my daily driver. This is the one I am saying , I am gonna get that SM465 stick out of the shop and drill a hole in the hump. I am gonna have me an auto and manual at the same time truck too. I might even put in a fake clutch pedal. LMAO !!!

7. j-dogg

j-dogg Junior Member

haha very nice

8. HotRodPC

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    85 K20 LWB / 86 K5
    Truck Model:
    Silverado / Silverado
    Engine Size:
    The Hood was straight as an arrow, but surface rusted, so I wet sanded the rust off and hit it with some cheap red oxide primer to kill the rust. Not pretty, but effective til I can get it painted. Also the grill was broke in a couple places, although doesn't show well since its kinda holding itself together. So I took a square tubing grill off another truck I had bought that had an engine fire. Not perfect, but much better looking than the broken OEM grill. So at this point, I still haven't spent any money on the truck other than the 2 cans of cheap Wal-Mart .99 cent primer. Up to $102 in the truck now. But the truck also had a full tank of gas and the other tank was about 1/4, so I figured it to be about $60 worth of gas in the truck when I bought it.

Attached Files:

9. HotRodPC

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    85 K20 LWB / 86 K5
    Truck Model:
    Silverado / Silverado
    Engine Size:
    So that is how the truck sits today. I did rebuild the Turbo 400 so that the truck runs now and is my daily driver and work in progress. The trans didn't cost me a dime to rebuild, which I'll explain in a write up on the T400 build. The AC was never recharged after the PO had the crate 454 installed, and its all there and hooked up. I think if I added a belt and added freon it would probably work. The blower and all works fine. The shift indicator is stuck on D2, but past those 2 things not working, everything else on the truck works fine. The power locks, windows, interior and cargo light, etc all work. I was freakin amazed as all get out when I tried the cruise control and it even works. The speedometer and odometer are even accurate. So needless to say, the $102 I have in the truck minus the $60 in gas, I have been extremely happy with this ugly truck so far, and had it about a year now. Just haven't have time or funds to get it painted, and really, I have other things I want to do to it before I start thinking of painting it, but it is currently my daily driver.

10. HotRodPC

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    85 K20 LWB / 86 K5
    Truck Model:
    Silverado / Silverado
    Engine Size:
    The bed floor has some waves in it where the PO obviously carried some heavy weight in it. It also has a properly installed Gooseneck Plate and Hitch and I have left it installed. Also has what I call a Homemade Git'R Done, Stop a Freight Train, redneck rear bumper with Receiver hitch built in. Kinda ugly, but obviously heavy duty as hell. I have towed mega weight on my 18ft trailer with this truck now using that reciver and bumper and no problems at all. Its not going anywhere I promise. The tailgate came with the truck too. Obviously does not match, and the Silverado insert is not there although the OEM holes are there for it. Also a small dent in the tailgate.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  11. HotRodPC

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    85 K20 LWB / 86 K5
    Truck Model:
    Silverado / Silverado
    Engine Size:
    After updating another post about the 14b Full Float perch width. I rememberd something else to add about this truck. Being it had all the Heavy Duty RPO codes, HD Radiator and Trans which is likley the package that adds the factory electric pusher fan in front, Heavy Duty Chassis Equipment axle etc, cuz in 84 the standard rear axle was the Semi Float, but this truck was the 14b FF. And the Original/Previous owner who bought the truck brand new, had the Gooseneck plate and hitch added, he also made that Gir'R Done Bumber to tow heavy stuff obviously, why would a truck like this have 3.21 Gears??? Fine with me I guess since its currently a DD and it doesn't have OD with the Turbo 400, I just found it odd to have 3.21 Gears. When I nail it to get on the freeway, it kicks down to 1st gear, and doesn't hit 2nd till 55mph and if I stay in it, it won't shift into 3rd until just under 85mph. Maybe the dude was thinking with a 454 and plenty of torque he didn't need a low gear to tow? But I am here to tell you, towing that Burb on my 18ft trailer, that 454 was even struggling just a tad. I also think that tall gear hurts my in town mpg. 8-9 mpg sucks !!! Now the good part, on the hwy Cruise set at 67-68, and empty, no towing, it gets just over 13 mpg. That's probably pretty good for a 454 and no overdrive.

Attached Files:

12. Hip 2 be square

Hip 2 be square Full Access Member

I'm guessing the original owner was OK at math and decided he didn't want to listen to a 454 spin at 3000 rpm on the freeway. Stick some 4.10's in that and see if you can get 13 mpg out of it...

You should add one of those Lokar floor shifters to it. Looks completely like a 4 speed shifter for a truck, and has a push button detent dealie on the handle. It's not racheting, so for a DD it's still easy to use.

13. HotRodPC

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    85 K20 LWB / 86 K5
    Truck Model:
    Silverado / Silverado
    Engine Size:
    No doubt, I wouldn't get no 13mpg hwy out of a 454/Turbo400 combo with 4.10's. But, I bet I'd sure get better than 8mpg around town, and it tow a bit better.
    I think I'd have gone middle of the road with 3.73's. Afterall, it is running a pretty tall tire, so that will make up some ground in itself. If I changed shifters, I'd probably go with a B&M Quicksilver or Mega ratchet shifter. I love those things.

14. HotRodPC

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    85 K20 LWB / 86 K5
    Truck Model:
    Silverado / Silverado
    Engine Size:
    Well Fellers, I've just flat had it with no progress on any of my squares. Either dealing with long work hours, broke or both at times. Along with other situations called "life". So the the 84 C20 daily driver, I've had a differant bed for it for several months now. The old bed was wavy on the floor, had a couple creases on the passenger side from my son in law jackknifing my 18ft trailer, and the driver side bed rail bent up pretty good from PO damage. Also one of the tailgate hinge bolts didn't bolt to the bed for some type of damage or reason. Sad part is, there wan't a damn spot of rust on the old bed at all. So today, I said to hell with it, and I dove in.

Driver side of the bed didn't look so bad at all. But the top rail was bent up and had some welding done it or I'd have saved it. But you'll see, not all of its going to waste.
    [​IMG]

See the rust and dent free section behind the wheel and to the bumper?
    [​IMG]

The bent driver side bed rail.
    [​IMG]

The creases in the passenger side don't show up very well but htey are there. I'll also need to cut out the passenger side fuel door.
    [​IMG]

This is a section of the other bed acquired. See the rust and the dent under the taillight? I'll be cutting this section out of the old bed and welding it in for a rust and dent free bed.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  15. HotRodPC

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    85 K20 LWB / 86 K5
    Truck Model:
    Silverado / Silverado
    Engine Size:
    I first had to remove the 5th Wheel hitch in the bed. Came off much eaiser than I expected with a biggo pipe wrench and a cheater pipe. This truck even had the OEM muffler heat shields under the truck just behind the cab, so I had to also remove those to get to the front bed bolts. The back bed bolts were a bitch cuz of the homemade "stop a freight train, Git'r Done, Redneck Bumper and Hitch". I had to use a wrench instead of a ratchet since with the bumper bolts in the way, no clearance to get a socket and ratchet in there. Also one of them bolts rounded off the square in the bed, so it was not holding the bolt still and it spun. Had to use Mr Sawzall with a bend in the blade to cut the bolt off. It was a bish, but I got it. Took much longer than I thought. I took the bed off the 85K1500. It was simple as 8 bolts and done. This one has OEM parts and homemade stuff in the way that hampered efforts. And for those who at one time said an engine hoist couldn't be used to lift a long bed but could be used for a short bed, now you know, yes you can do a long bed too, even with the tailgate in place.

As usual, my good buddy engine hoist was there to lend a hand. Love that dude, he doesn't complain a bit, and never asks for anything in return, not even a beer. He never even asks for a break in this 106 degree heat.
    [​IMG]

That back bolt I cut the head off of, still hung up a bit, keeping the bed from coming up level.
    [​IMG]

Once I figured out it was that one bolt in back end that was hanging up, pried up a little with a 1x6 and it lifted right off and came more to level off. Checked underneath, unbolted the diff vent hose and that was it, away it was since I had already unhooked the gas fillers and ground straps.
    [​IMG]

Once free and jacked up high enough, drove out from under it. No problem. Now its to freakin hot, so its break time. I'll follow up with more progress later.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011