84 3/4 ton 6.2 drive train into 1987

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigdaddyjak

Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
here is my dilemma, My truck is a 1987 v10 ,305-700r4 ,4x4 with 35s . I had my current 700r4 rebuilt, installed it, couldn’t back out of garage , no reverse!! So I pulled it took it back he “fixed” it . I installed it took it for a drive, it won’t shift out of 1st gear now ! I have a 1984 , 6.2, 3/4 ton 4x4 . I’m seriously thinking, just pull the th400 and t-case from the diesel and swap it in and get rid of the 700 R4. The body is completely gone on the 84, it is parts only. My question, how much screwing around will it b to swap the 400 and t-case matted to it from the diesel to my gasser ? I know that the torq converter and governer , but besides that will it all bolt rite up, just need to change decent cable ? I have had the 700 in and out so many times , I’d rather blow it up than ever use it again !!! Thst being said, I have 4 years to finish the truck, my daughter is turning 12 and this will b her first vehicle , so I have some time to mess with it and want it reliable .

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
here is my dilemma, My truck is a 1987 v10 ,305-700r4 ,4x4 with 35s . I had my current 700r4 rebuilt, installed it, couldn’t back out of garage , no reverse!! So I pulled it took it back he “fixed” it . I installed it took it for a drive, it won’t shift out of 1st gear now ! I have a 1984 , 6.2, 3/4 ton 4x4 . I’m seriously thinking, just pull the th400 and t-case from the diesel and swap it in and get rid of the 700 R4. The body is completely gone on the 84, it is parts only. My question, how much screwing around will it b to swap the 400 and t-case matted to it from the diesel to my gasser ? I know that the torq converter and governer , but besides that will it all bolt rite up, just need to change decent cable ? I have had the 700 in and out so many times , I’d rather blow it up than ever use it again !!! Thst being said, I have 4 years to finish the truck, my daughter is turning 12 and this will b her first vehicle , so I have some time to mess with it and want it reliable .

Does an '87 305 have a one piece rear main? If so you might need a different flywheel/flexplate. The th400 has an electric downshift, but you have a parts truck. The only thing I can think may be drive shaft lengths and tranny crossmember location.

Bigdaddyjak

Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I was going to get a different flex plate and converter, yes, I have the parts truck, so that won’t b an issue, if I need to buy a kick down module no biggie, and to hook up vacuum for modulator. It should bolt rite up, as lo
G as flexplate and converter, I think !!! Like mentioned, I have the parts truck shafts and crossmember, so should b straight forward swap , I assumed , but ya never know !! Thanks !!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54