83 C10 steers decent to left but half as much to the right?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ReefkoiC10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
LS3
Hi guys first post here as I just acquired an 83 C10 lowered the other day. it has a rack n pinion as well as tubular a-arms from performance online. I can't hardly park or make a right turn onto a 2 lane road but to the left its just about as good as a stock truck. I didn't install the kit the previous owner did and Im wondering if he didn't have the rack centered when he attached the u-joint to the column or if there is something else I should look into?
Any ideas are appreciated!

mlparkey

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That would be the first thing I would look at. I've seen that happen on other applications. Visually inspect the tie rod ends to make sure there is an equal amount of threads showing on each side. Then with the steering wheel, count the number of turns from lock to lock then go back half way. The front wheels should be pointing straight ahead. If they're not then the rack is probably off center.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
so the effort is hard one way but not the other? make sure your belt is not slipping your pump is ok, your fluid is good, and if the hoses/lines are good, I would buy seafoam trans tune, pull out a portion of your reservoir, put that in, run it. on rack and pinion you can do a lot just back and forth sitting still when you put it in but some of the benefits come with time. If you have dirty fluid you should put a filter in before doing this. Also make sure all things related to steering pivot/actuating are not sticking or binding or have any issues and also greased.

ReefkoiC10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
LS3
No its not hard it just simply turns further one way than the other if the ends are set equally so we decided its not centered, crappy low budget rack I think is the issue. If I get it to where it turns equally left and right then the steering wheel is off. I am learning to live with it but might bite the bullet on a good flaming river rack in the future and hope it has a further travel to it, I know others with rack conversions have had this issue, seems the stock box steers further another worss the truck turns a much tighter radius but maybe the 5” lowering job just kills the possibility of a tight as stock turning radius I’m not sure…

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
No its not hard it just simply turns further one way than the other if the ends are set equally so we decided its not centered, crappy low budget rack I think is the issue. If I get it to where it turns equally left and right then the steering wheel is off. I am learning to live with it but might bite the bullet on a good flaming river rack in the future and hope it has a further travel to it, I know others with rack conversions have had this issue, seems the stock box steers further another worss the truck turns a much tighter radius but maybe the 5” lowering job just kills the possibility of a tight as stock turning radius I’m not sure…
is the steering gear progressive ratio?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128