1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

82 Suburban project, story and log

Discussion in '2wd Suburban, Blazer and Jimmy' started by Mojave_Muse, May 7, 2020.

1. Mojave_Muse

Mojave_Muse Junior Member

First Name:
    crystal
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c10 Suburban
    Engine Size:
    One evening my friends and I are gathered around the gaming table as we did every week, before the Viral Lockdowns. Casually chatting about the difficult time we were having with my other Project truck and it's need for a rebuild, which is disheartening but its 51 years old.
    my friend mentions he has an old Diesel Suburban he drove for a little while and loved but something or other was wrong with the drivetrain and he parked it and used it for storage in the early 2000's. but now he needed a spot to put a greenhouse.

so my husband and I talked about it and decided instead of trying to retrofit the diesel into the blue oval we'd see if the drivetrain issue was fixable and the whole truck worth keeping.

we get a close-enough sized tire on a rim to it'll roll onto a flatbed, the other 3 miraculously still would hold air. keys have long ago gone missing, so the ignition had to be drilled out... it did not want to and fought about it. The affair became personal, but eventually the steering got unlocked and put into neutral and the truck pulled into a good loading position for the tow truck to bring it across town.

so get it plopped onto the concrete pad and start checking things out and evicting spiders. throw some batteries in it and test the fuel. even as long as it sat the diesel wasn't jellied or varnished. and the damn thing started. I was expecting tooth and nail problems, but it started. water pump screaming like a banshee and threw a belt, but hey i'll take it.

I'd thought that it being a Chevy and something they made for what seems like forever it'd be easy to find things. I was incorrect, lol. so a custom water pump backing plate was created out of stainless for it at my husbands work.

New water pump, backing plate, belts, hoses, flush, filled the transmission and fuel pump return lines are in, brakes all around/ wheel studs and new rims and tires as the removal of the old ones was difficult.

I've cleaned out the inside and shampooed the seats, they're surprisingly good, no rips in the velour, that carpet is pretty hashed though, and a couple of the door interiors are pretty done from sun damage. one door doesn't open and the barn doors don't like to open, and in need of a new windsheild and passenger rear door window but for the price of the truck who can complain all that much?

so what's next? buy and install some basic outdoor carpet from the big box store and install, remove dash and remove vinyl, smooth out with bondo, sand, primer and paint with tan bed liner and paint the front floor with bedliner as well.

Big Chip and Mr Clean like this.
  2. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Full Access Member

First Name:
    Shawn
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 82 2WD Blazer
    Engine Size:
    454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
    We need pics!!!!!

TubeTruck likes this.
  3. Mojave_Muse

First Name:
    crystal
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c10 Suburban
    Engine Size:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Mojave_Muse

First Name:
    crystal
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c10 Suburban
    Engine Size:
    hrm doesn't look like the links I put in worked. lets try this...

94962408_10219640093246537_9117661063360282624_o.jpg new rims and tires
    90174925_514796362787979_5182568952538071040_n.jpg flat tires and old tims

IMG_20200404_131928302_HDR.jpg custom water pump plate

Big Chip and Mr Clean like this.
  5. Mojave_Muse

First Name:
    crystal
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c10 Suburban
    Engine Size:
    update: got a door glass out of a crewcab squarebody truck, price was good so hopefully works out. new ignition installed, looks like i'll need to run fresh brake line, first thought was just air in the system but looks like a rock was run over or something in the past and pinched it. was too windy to work outside today, allergies wouldn't allow it.

6. TubeTruck

TubeTruck I like anything fast enough to do something stupid

First Name:
    Denis
    Truck Year:
    1978, 1975
    Truck Model:
    Suburban K10, GMC K15
    Engine Size:
    400ci, 350ci
    Good work and nice colors!

Mojave_Muse likes this.
  7. Mojave_Muse

First Name:
    crystal
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c10 Suburban
    Engine Size:
    I agree. I like the browns, goes well with the desert environment. though I did have a dream that we did the whole thing in bedliner tan. but probably wont as that's a lot of surface area to cover.

update on the brake situation. was just super low on powersteering fluid, I was not aware of the whole hydroboost system thing, so a can of PS fluid will also be in my upkeep kit, once I get the carpet done and build some small boxes to hold fluids and things. stops great now, what we could test in the driveway anyway. still waiting for paperwork to go through to get it legal for a real test drive.

next is finding out what wires have ground out for the gauges and locate the sending units to make sure they're okay to get them working.

8. Mojave_Muse

First Name:
    crystal
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c10 Suburban
    Engine Size:
    Updates:
    starting on the interior. took the dash pad out as it's all cracked up, so getting that fixed up and pretty is on the to do list. was checking the gauges as some weren't reading anything so went to check the hookups and such and the plastic was so sunrotten that the slightest of touch just murdered the needles so.... guess what I ordered lastnight. but hopefully that's going to be the last like biggish purchase on this boxy boy.

9. Mojave_Muse

First Name:
    crystal
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c10 Suburban
    Engine Size:
    new instrument cluster has come in, went for the Dakota Digital digital readout one (the VFD series one) the dash pad is in the garage sanded and valleys sanded into the foam in the cracks and filled with Great Stuff foam; now working on knocking down the really high built foam so I can sand and then level it all off with some bondo. Thanks Youtube! lol.

Preston Tucker likes this.
  10. Mojave_Muse

First Name:
    crystal
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c10 Suburban
    Engine Size:
    Todays project: New gear selector needle. didn't want to have to buy a whole new unit so we 3d modeled and printed a new one on the 3d printer and painted with automotive paint.

11. idahovette

idahovette Full Access Member

First Name:
    Perry
    Truck Year:
    1975-1979
    Truck Model:
    K20-K10
    Engine Size:
    I'll play Rusty,...."yu haz no pics?"

12. Mojave_Muse

First Name:
    crystal
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c10 Suburban
    Engine Size:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    First Pass with the foam, starting to shave it down with a knife

[​IMG]
    3d printed Selector Needle painted with some automotive paint to protect it from the sun. some of the lettering had to be filled in by hand as it had rubbed off, put my Minitature Painting skills to use lol.
    can still see the upper lettering where it rubbed off but that was less important lol.

[​IMG]

Second pass with the foam after sanding. this time doing more of a cake icing technique with a metal spatula to smush it into the finer cracks. if you get this goo on you, nail polish remover gets it off.

IMG_20200730_221848423.jpg

IMG_20200730_221855548.jpg

IMG_20200802_142008175.jpg

IMG_20200802_151645478.jpg

idahovette likes this.
  13. Mojave_Muse

First Name:
    crystal
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c10 Suburban
    Engine Size:
    IMG_20200805_085334817_HDR.jpg IMG_20200805_085338240_HDR.jpg high spots knocked down to a smooth layer and trimming around all the openings, starting to get hot out so this is the quittin' spot for the moment. and gotta help the kids with school stuff anyway.

bit more trimming of blobs and smoothing and it'll be ready for the bondo coat and after taking down any glaring ridges from that, Tan Bed Liner and somewhere in there put in metal screen.

14. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Full Access Member

First Name:
    Darien
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10
    Engine Size:
    @Mojave_Muse Did you post the model of that indicator needle on any of the 3D-printing sites? I was just thinking about trying to print that needle yesterday. I bought a whole new assembly, but being able to replace just the needle would be a big boon for the future.

15. Mojave_Muse

First Name:
    crystal
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c10 Suburban
    Engine Size:
    I had not, But should anyone want the STL file I am more than happy to share with other printers. the only printed part is the 'Finger' and block that that was glued into the slider part then painted copper

indicator.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020 at 6:40 PM
    EvilGenius likes this.