'82 6.2 fuel sending unit - help me find right part please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mojave_Muse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
crystal
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Suburban
Engine Size
I'm having a heckin time finding one that matches what I pulled out of the tank on this old beast and no tag or part number I can find anymore on it.

Description: on the top 4 tubes, and two electrical nubs and a blade

You must be registered for see images attach

everything i've pulled up has been not quite right to match this. can add more photos if needed of this unit.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I remember talk of the earlier 6.2 trucks using a sender that employed a water sensor. I'd guess that's what the extra knub is for.

Mojave_Muse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
crystal
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Suburban
Engine Size
you'd be correct.

i'm okay with going with a later style/ mcguyvering a generic water sensor onto the spin-filter or my husband is also okay with deadwiring it if needed.

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
What is the issue with the pickup assembly?

Mojave_Muse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
crystal
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Suburban
Engine Size
not sending accurate amount of fuel to the gauge

the 'water in fuel' light was coming on. so we emptied the tank but didn't see any water at all. dropped the tank to see it was more or less empty. Husband did a check on the sending unit with a multimeter and it's not functioning. knowing how much fuel is there is kinda important as I want to use this for exploration.

i'm just having a bear of a time finding a 4 outlet with drain (can do without i guess) for 31 gallon diesel sending unit.

Mojave_Muse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
crystal
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Suburban
Engine Size
got the Spectra FG12F on order. really hoping its good to go.

cleaned the connections in the old one but it's still giving wild ohms so it's getting replaced.

fast68chevy

I am the original fast68chevy
Reaction score
First Name
RANDY
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
so, its old and worn.... common issue with these all the time.,. you could always swap the resistor wire board piece from a known working(1980s or older years) sender(gas or diesel car and or truck or van one) common GM zero to 90 ohm common sender unit, to this sender...

or maybe even could adjust or modify this one, so that the sender unit ground(for the variable ground signal side of the dash fuel guage) output wire contact arm contacts the wire board better, so that it could work good again..

an d you can add a drain tube to the unit with brazing.. or have it done at a local radiator shop.. you have many options here., that youre not realizing, hmm..

Last edited:

Mojave_Muse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
crystal
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Suburban
Engine Size
all those are valid. my trouble 90% of the time is WTF is the proper name for the thing, and where to order just the bits from. usually everything is the sold whole unit only.

this is only our second project truck and first that was a diesel so there is learning curve to go

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara