8 inch lift overall height question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Branktm

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
I have a 76 K15 shortbed i am doing a frame off build. Just got the cab off yesterday and getting ready to strip it down to send frame off for bead blast and powder coat. Plan is a 8 inch lift with 37s. Ive done the measurements on the truck in correlation to my garage doors. I do not want it parked outside. This is not a daily driver i have a 17 SD i drive.

the question is after my measurements i have 6 inches left of wiggle room to fit in garage height wise. But i have read on here some 8 inch lifts turned into 10 because the factory springs sagged so much.

how much fluff should i account for? Will the 8 inch with 37s still fit or should i go with a 6 inch? Im doing all spring lift to try and get the best ride a massive lift could get, i know still gonna drive rough.

thank you!

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Here's this... Idk how else to help because the only lifted squarebody I have is 24" of lift.

But this pic of this red k5 was me, at 6 foot 5, standing in front of it, with a all new 8" lift on 39.5 boggers.

So scaled out, it was roughly 7 foot 5 tall with that configuration

Maybe that helps.

You must be registered for see images attach

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Maybe the best question is, how tall is the garage door opening? More people could then comment on how tall their truck is to the top of the cab with particular lift and tires. I know in my case, when I moved to my new house with a lower garage door, a 1/2" taller would have taken out my cab lights.

Branktm

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
Good question. My garage doors go all the way up and do not hang down below the opening

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
K20, 4" lift with "short" 35s clears 7' my door opening by 2-3". Don't have exact measurements, but given k10-k20 similarities, if I was a betting man, 8" lift and 37s won't fit.
However, depending how your garage door is framed out, you can easily adjust the door travel and or track height to get the door above the opening elevation.
The door header is typically wrapped with 1x or 2x material, so you could gain that much more height easily. Next option is trim the header up. Depending on the header size and what is bearing on it for roof or wall loads above it, you might be able to trim a couple inches off it and do nothing else. Or trim it and add a 3rd or 4th header board to the inside, or trim and wrap with a steel angle for support.

Point is, seems like it would not clear by maybe 3" and there is multiple solutions to increase the clearance by that much if necessary that will be less obtrusiv ethan leaving the truck outside.

Branktm

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
I went with a 6 inch RC suspension lift, I have read many times that 6 means 8 if the original springs are wore out, which they are. i think it should be just fine fitting 37s. Kit is supposed to be here next week, and frame gets back from powder coat. Obviously tires and wheels will be last, got a long ways to go getting it back together

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Kinda funny- I just put some 37s on today and was wondering if it would still fit on the 7' side of the garage. I have 1" trim along the top of the garage door so the height is only 83". My truck still fits by about an inch maybe inch and a half.
I have a 5" lift though.
In the winter when the snow builds up in the driveway I wouldn't try it.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
this truck in the picture had a 3" body lift to be able to clear 33" tires and it was still close to rubbing the 33"s when turning. buddy wanted to clear 37's so he ordered a 6" all spring lift, when it was all said and done, the new 6" front springs netted him almost 8" of new lift and the new 6" rear springs gained almost 9" of new lift. That's how worn out the original components were. If your old springs are severely sagging or you have any broken leaves in the spring packs you will end up with more lift than the new springs advertise, also they will settle out some after you put some miles on it which you can kind of figure in, but probably not more than an inch all said and done. So for an idea- here this one sits, with a 3" body lift and 6" all springs with loads of clearance for 37" Boggers. 6" of lift instead of 8" might be plenty for your application.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito