78 Silverado with no power brake booster?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redneck Poet

Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Greetings. I have a 78 Silverado I bought many years ago. Haven't driven it in a while but considering putting back on the road. It came factory with 350,AT, pwr windows but not door locks. Factory ac. The brakes were never really great on it and, for some reason, didn't have a power brake booster. I've had to replace the master cylinder a few times and considered adding a vacuum brake booster. Any idea why it didn't have the brake booster? Would it cause any problems if I added one? I'd also replace the master cylinder too since it's probably different.
Any advise would be appreciated!

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
If you don't have a PB booster it likely a Hydroboost system that provides power braking from the PS pump.
Need pix.

Redneck Poet

Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
No hydroboost. And there's no J brake code on the sticker. Most replacements specify JB5 or JB3 but my sticker doesn't show either.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Power brakes were always an option in the squares. The newest I had without power brakes was an 1981. I don't know about later years.

Many packages included power brakes, but basic C/K 10's did not have them. To upfit you need the bracket from the firewall to mount the booster. Best would be find a donner and get all the parts, bracket, longer pushrod, booster, master cylinder and hardware.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Do you have the small brake pedal, like a manual shifted truck would have?

Power brakes were not standard on a C10. Silverado was a trim level. Definitely a weird optioned truck if no power brakes.

Redneck Poet

Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Don't know if the brake pedal is smaller. I also thought it odd to have pwr windows, ac, tilt column, gauges but no power brakes or door locks.

Redneck Poet

Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Also oddly, it had twin tanks but not from the factory. The driver's side tank was a square, home made one. The switch to route from one tank to the other is a manual valve installed in the floor under the seat. The fuel gauge has a toggle switch mounted on the lower dash to choose which tank. The driver's side filler neck stuck out through a round hole in the bedside with no grommet or rubber. It didn't rub but I never liked it. I seem to recall researching it and found a company in California that would modify them in this way. I found a correct twin tank short bed and installed it along with a correct style tank. Sold the square tank for $100!

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Welcome.

My 79 c10 custom deluxe has manual brakes (no booster) and manual steering

Not a surprise. A higher trim level might would have power brakes

Redneck Poet

Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Thanks for the welcomes. I’ve lurked around the forum for years because it is the go-to place for the best info and help from very knowledgeable folks! I’m 66 years old and have owned a couple square bodys. I never thought they’d get as popular as they are now, though!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8