78 silverado grill measurements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corey Roska

Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
78 silverado
Engine Size
Recently bought a 78 silverado stepside. The grill and lights are off an early 80's chevy (stacked headlights). The guy I purchased it from was of no help. Does any one no the measurements of the grill opening(fender to fender)? Hoping the front fenders and hood aren't a mismatch for the year. Can't find these measurements any where.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Recently bought a 78 silverado stepside. The grill and lights are off an early 80's chevy (stacked headlights). The guy I purchased it from was of no help. Does any one no the measurements of the grill opening(fender to fender)? Hoping the front fenders and hood aren't a mismatch for the year. Can't find these measurements any where.
Post a picture and we can help you out.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Stacked headlights is '81-'88. If you want to run a stock '77-'80 grille, you are looking at a complete clip swap.

Corey Roska

Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
78 silverado
Engine Size
Here are some pics

You must be registered for see images attach

Corey Roska

Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
78 silverado
Engine Size
Actually answered my own question, the horizontal light on the fender would be vertical if it was an 80's fender or lower. Looks like I'm buying new fenders and hood. Thanks for the help

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Actually answered my own question, the horizontal light on the fender would be vertical if it was an 80's fender or lower. Looks like I'm buying new fenders and hood. Thanks for the help
Just an FYI for you, you're going to need a lot more than fenders and a hood. You'll need the core support, hinges, bumper and brackets, etc. Are you positive the cab is a 78 cab converted to the '81 and newer front clip?

Corey Roska

Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
78 silverado
Engine Size
Yeah, pretty sure. I noticed when I bought it that the gaps where off. Factory stickers both on the door and glove box show 78. I can deal with the side lights are being horizontal instead of vertical if I can get an original grill and lights to mount right. I'm not going 100% original. Just want the grill to be correct. If the spacing on the front is the same, I can fabricate what is needed to mount it. Thanks for the info. New to the older chevys. Love it either way. Thanks for your help

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Yeah, pretty sure. I noticed when I bought it that the gaps where off. Factory stickers both on the door and glove box show 78. I can deal with the side lights are being horizontal instead of vertical if I can get an original grill and lights to mount right. I'm not going 100% original. Just want the grill to be correct. If the spacing on the front is the same, I can fabricate what is needed to mount it. Thanks for the info. New to the older chevys. Love it either way. Thanks for your help
You have to change the whole front clip for a 78 grille.

Corey Roska

Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
78 silverado
Engine Size
Well, looks like my winter is lined out then, Lol. Thanks guys

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
With the hood open, what does the cowl look like? If its a 78 cab it will be modified, if its a 81 and newer won't look modified. That is in order to put that front clip on.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Recently bought a 78 silverado stepside. The grill and lights are off an early 80's chevy (stacked headlights). The guy I purchased it from was of no help. Does any one no the measurements of the grill opening(fender to fender)? Hoping the front fenders and hood aren't a mismatch for the year. Can't find these measurements any where.[/QUOTE
Clip swap? Does that mean fender swap?
Your truck has already had a clip swap to the 81-88 fenders. He is saying you need to go back to the 80 and earlier fenders and front.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128