1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

78 C20 Silverado Camper Special build thread

Discussion in '2wd Pick-Ups C/R 20 2500 C/R 30 3500' started by thecantaloupeman, Jun 24, 2019.

1. thecantaloupeman

thecantaloupeman Full Access Member

First Name:
    Dawson
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20 Silverado Camper Special
    Engine Size:
    The SPID Label is gone, but there is some sort of label. It doesn't say the options it came with though. But it must've come with a radio because it's still got the original head unit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. thecantaloupeman

First Name:
    Dawson
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    Definitely what happened here. I saw the other truck. That's alright though I would've payed twice as much with the original interior. So at least now I know the rest of the truck was most likely taken care of well and garage kept. Maybe it even has 50k miles on it like the odo says.

Lots of stuff was swapped and the trucks both had tan interiors but one is a slightly lighter tan (originally mine). So it's a mix between buckskin and some other darker tan In my interior. I repainted the door panels to buckskin so it would match the pockets which I know are definitely buckskin (original interior color). My trim is darker though. Even if it doesn't match perfectly it looks pretty nice. And miles better than before. I even cleaned the door pull and armrest and they look new. Except for the bad foam underneath the armrest.

Just an update I fixed the gas tank leak by ordering a new filler hose and replacing it. That was the cause of my issue. (Old one quite bulged). Now however the gas gauge stuck past full and I have another issue with stalling when throttle is applied quickly. It stalled in an intersection last night (quite scary). Going to check fuel filter and a few other things thanks to some help on this forum.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. thecantaloupeman

First Name:
    Dawson
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    Just finished up the passenger door panel. Might do more to the top part and try to fill in the scratches and paint over it. I did fill in the big hole where the lock went though with JB Weld and drilled a smaller hole so the lock would fit nicer. Cleaned everything really well, spray painted the inside of the door handle black, used VHT Buckskin paint for the rest of the door, and remade the pegs on the trim so that it would fit better. Also replaced elastic in the pockets and replaced the window crank. Looks a million times better! I'm gonna see if I can maybe order the door pull trim covers as well. Now onto the next door!

I also replaced my fuel filter to try to diagnose my stalling issue when pressing throttle quickly. Didn't seem to help much, but I'm going to check a few other things.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Mr Clean and DoubleDingo like this.
  4. Rusty Nail

Rusty Nail Victim of Culture

First Name:
    Rusty
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20, K5
    Engine Size:
    350, 350
    She's a peach!
    :waytogo:

5. bucket

bucket Super Moderator Staff Member

First Name:
    Andy
    Truck Year:
    '77, '78, '79, '84, '88
    Truck Model:
    K5 thru K30
    Engine Size:
    350-454
    That's a nifty idea for the the door panel surround trim. Are those clips staying glued on ok?

Rusty Nail likes this.
  6. thecantaloupeman

First Name:
    Dawson
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    So far yeah! I'm a little dissapointed with the paint I used though. I used VHT vinyle dye, and it already has started to peel off in places despite my thorough paint prep. But it still looks good. I also got the new headliner in. I used a cloth version of what I had. I couldn't find perforated vinyl in the right color, but I found some nice perforated cloth that was a close match, and it was on clearance. The old backer board wasn't in the greatest shape, but I made do because I didn't have the money to buy an ABS plastic backer. I'll post pics in the morning.

7. Rusty Nail

Rusty Nail Victim of Culture

First Name:
    Rusty
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20, K5
    Engine Size:
    350, 350
    Got any moar trim youre not using?

8. thecantaloupeman

First Name:
    Dawson
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    Unfortunately not, but if I end up replacing it, I'll let you know!

Rusty Nail likes this.
  9. thecantaloupeman

First Name:
    Dawson
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    Think it’s about time I update the thread. This might be a lot:

August: I replaced the headliner fabric with some tan perforated cloth. Looks a lot like the old perforated vinyl but its cloth. Looks really nice. I tried getting the grey foam off of the vinyl from the backing board but it shrunk the vinyl, so I couldn't reuse it. I got the old material off the backing board and it was in decent enough shape to reuse. I put two layers. Some grey felt to replace old grey foam, and then the fabric on top. I used the permatex headliner stuff and it has held up well so far.

-I also replaced the blower motor and now I can blow air out the vents. Heater/defrost works now too which is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    Craig 85 and Catbox like this.
  10. thecantaloupeman

First Name:
    Dawson
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    September: On the way home from a concert, I had a stall at a light. Basically when I applied too much throttle too fast it would stall. I first replaced the fuel filter to no avail, then I came to realize it was the accelerator pump and got to replacing that. 15$ repair and the shop wanted almost 150$. All I had to do was remove the air horn.

-After this was fixed I got a leak from the fuel filter inlet. I eventually figured out I was missing a gasket there. The fitting was extremely tight when I first took it off and it mustve been because it would leak if it wasn't extremely tight. So I disturbed it when I did the filter. Simple fix, I got three little nylon gaskets from quadrajetparts.com and my problem was completely gone!

Catbox likes this.
  11. thecantaloupeman

First Name:
    Dawson
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    October:
    I finally had fixed the carburetor and could drive it to the car show, but then my battery died. Just my luck. Had to leave it home but still had some fun at the show. Afterwards I started researching the correct battery for it. My old battery was one of those refurbished interstate batteries from 2014, was a top post, and was much too big. The size I needed was a side post 75 group. I went with an interstate MTP-75. Now it cranks over much faster! I also ordered a new battery tray assembly because the old one was rusted out. I had some issues getting it to fit at first and had to order a few different ones, but It worked out and now I don't need to worry about the battery falling through.

-I also replaced the gauge lights because they were extremely dim and were more like glow sticks than light bulbs. I also replaced the headlight switch because the resistor in the old one was making the lights dimmer. It had worn out and the new switch and resistor made them light up much brighter.

Catbox likes this.
  12. thecantaloupeman

First Name:
    Dawson
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    November:
    I did chrisfix’s super flush on my cooling system and replaced all the coolant. I also replaced the thermostat and the gasket. My old coolant was not too bad but at least now I know how to do it, and now I know exactly how I old the coolant is.

13. thecantaloupeman

First Name:
    Dawson
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    December/January:
    So in late December I had a strange anomaly breakdown on the way to work, but after towing it to the shop, it started right up next morning. Had them look at it and they didn’t find anything. They told me my ignition module was old though and could’ve been the issue, so I replaced the distributor cap and rotor with and MSD kit, and replaced the module with an Accel one. Had the old one tested and it was working but heated up badly. I also replaced the spark plugs and spark plug wires. Just used ACDelco plugs because it had auto-lites in it before, and then bought some nice yellow Accel wires. My engine bay now looks like a paint bomb exploded. I have a red distributor cap, yellow spark plug wires and a blue engine block. I haven't broken down since then. So I don't really know if what I did solved the issue or not because it never happened again, but nevertheless I have pretty much all new ignition components.

April 2020: I am still having weird occasional acceleration problems when the engine is cold. The beginning of the pedal travel seems to make the engines rpms drop instead of increase. It sputters a bit before overcoming it and then there is a delay before it starts to match where the pedal is. I have another thread about this trying to solve the issue. This so far hasn’t stopped me from driving it around though, it is just an annoying issue I'd like to fix and I'm concerned it is related to that breakdown I had.

14. thecantaloupeman

First Name:
    Dawson
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    February: So for my birthday I went to a junkyard and got a whole bunch of new interior parts. I got a carpet/floor mats, seatbelts, headliner, trim, door panels/panel carpet, and instrument bezel all for 125$. Some of it I won't use but I installed the carpet and seat belts, and plan to do the door panels and panel carpet later too. I cleaned the carpet real good and it looks pretty nice. Everything I got was from a 1980's truck so it doesn't all match great but at least now I have seat belts that aren't crusty. Everything I got was either black or charcoal color so It matches pretty good with the tan stuff I still have in my truck.

-I also sewed a seat cover out of a tan mexican blanket with my mom. It looks pretty nice and we made it two piece so it looks like its part of the seat instead of just a cover. There is a tan fabric backing on the back and the top part slips over the top half of the seat like a pillowcase and tucks in between the two halves. The bottom part is cut to match the shape of the sides and front of the seat and has some old belts underneath the seat to pull it tight around the bottom half so It doesn't slip.

-We are currently working on the dash cover so when that is finished I'll update ya'll on that and what I did with the instrument bezel.

Catbox likes this.
  15. thecantaloupeman

First Name:
    Dawson
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    March 2020: I replaced the wiper motor because the old one no longer sprayed fluid. The new one sprays nice and strong and I replaced the missing washer fluid line going to the passenger side. So now both sides spray perfectly and the nozzles on the hood work great.