78 c10 rear shock frame mounting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Just a quick question. Looking to replace my factory rear shocks on my 78 and im unsure how they bolt to the frame. Are they bolted through the frame or do they go on a stud?

dajn37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 scottsdale
Engine Size
You will want to use the bolt that comes with the new shock. Here's what it looks like on my 87 v20. The box is off so it was simple. I need rear shocks bad on my 87 half ton also. With the box on it wont be near as easy. Probably end up torching them off. We shall see.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

dajn37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 scottsdale
Engine Size
Also I found that it works well to start by bolting the shock to the frame first. Then cut the band holding the shock and have a bolt ready for the bottom as the shock expands out. Hope that makes sense

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Also I found that it works well to start by bolting the shock to the frame first. Then cut the band holding the shock and have a bolt ready for the bottom as the shock expands out. Hope that makes sense
Thats how i planned it. I just aint sure if it bolts on or if its a stud. I replaced the rear yesterday and while the shocks hung from the frame i collapsed them completely and they didnt even try to return lol so 40 years later i think theyre due to be replaced.

dajn37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 scottsdale
Engine Size
And to be clear, it has threads on both sides. So I suppose it's not a bolt, it's a stud with threads on both sides. But you definitely will want to use the new one that should come with the shock. When I bought my shocks, it came with. The bottom bolt didn't but that's no big deal. As you know, the bottom is just a regular bolt.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Good idea . I like to take the band off and "pump" the shocks, that is compress them 3 or 4 times . It helps get the air bubbles out and also to make sure the shock is working before installation. Not totally uncommon to get a "bad" new shock. You can put the band back on to help with the install

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
You must be registered for see images

Picture of the rear shock stud. Some shocks don't come with them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shepard te