77 Rear Speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lcfman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I purchased a set of rear speakers and brackets for my 77 C20 from LMC. The problem is that it looks like (no instructions included) the speaker brackets should mount were the seat belt retractor is mounted. Any pictures or help appreciated.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I have aftermarket 6x9 brackets, but you can see where I removed the original 4x10 bracket. I'm not sure of the reason for the 2 holes, but either the factory or a PO goofed.

You must be registered for see images attach

lcfman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Your seat belt retractor is low near the floor, mine is higher and lands about where the top of your speaker is.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
That sounds strange....

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My '77 K5's have had a different seat belt design than the '78 and later, I sort of remember pickups being the same way. Hopefully some members with older trucks will chime in.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Hmm, back cab wall carpet too. Bucket seats?

lcfman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Yes buckets and back carpet. This is a 60,000 mile truck, and I have the original build/option sheet its the real deal. Back to the rear speakers, maybe the 77 had a different rear speakers than the later models. I am certainly not a squarebody expert but I am learning.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I'd be impressed if they even offered rear speakers in a '77. Even when we ordered ours in '84 the dealership was wondering why you'd want a four-speaker stereo system in a truck.

lcfman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I bet you are correct blue ox. It would be interesting to see if anyone out there has a 77 or earlier with the dual rear speakers. Post it if you have them. Also included is a photo of the service parts id sticker for my truck. I can slightly modify the speaker brackets to work for me but I was trying to keep the truck as stock as possible since its such a good truck.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
On earlier trucks, I've only ever seen this set up for dual speakers. It's on a Gentleman Jim.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I believe the difference in where the seat belt mounts is due to the difference in a half ton vs one ton truck. I'm not 100 % on this but I think there used to be a provision up until the mid 90's where Hd trucks could be operated without seatbelts and this affected where they put the shoulder mount.

42Grand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I bet you are correct blue ox. It would be interesting to see if anyone out there has a 77 or earlier with the dual rear speakers. Post it if you have them. Also included is a photo of the service parts id sticker for my truck. I can slightly modify the speaker brackets to work for me but I was trying to keep the truck as stock as possible since its such a good truck.

Is this photo something that all trucks would have hidden somewhere or am I just out of luck if the po didn't hang onto it?

Also, I have a 77 and according to the style of radio that was in it, they only had the one center speaker. My seat belts are the exact same as yours. I bought new aftermarket ones and I really don't want to install them in the original location because I am installing speakers in the rear corners as well. I have a carpet kit installed for the back wall also but if I install the seat belts back in the original location, I would have to cover the top part of my speaker, cut a hole in the carpet and find some mounting brackets to make it all work. I will have to see what others have done previously. Maybe someone can chime in with what they've done.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
They're usually "hidden" in the glove compartment. If yours is missing you may be able to send your VIN to the GM Heritage Center and get your specific build sheet. Somebody here can reproduce the sticker for you. I forget if it's @gmachinz or @chengny but a search should find it for you or maybe they will chime in here.

http://www.gmmediaarchive.com

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That would be myself who can re-create missing or modified/damaged SPID sheets. I also do other years and decals now as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8