1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

77 K20 Project

Discussion in '4wd Pick-Ups K/V 20 2500 K/V 30 3500' started by 77 K20, May 20, 2014.

1. TubeTruck

TubeTruck I like anything fast enough to do something stupid

First Name:
    Denis
    Truck Year:
    1978, 1975
    Truck Model:
    Suburban K10, GMC K15
    Engine Size:
    400ci, 350ci
    Climb through the passenger side lol

2. Frankenchevy

Frankenchevy Lying Dog-Faced Pony Soldier

First Name:
    Jeremy
    Truck Year:
    Square
    Truck Model:
    CUCV
    Engine Size:
    Small
    When you bought the ORD custom springs were they 3”...4”...?

I have 3” ordered and was on the fence about 4”. Since they said even with 4” 35s are a no-go without cutting and/or a body lift, I chose 3”.

Just curious what other people with ORD custom springs are running. 37s are pretty big. Looks good though.

3. 77 K20

77 K20 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20 5" lift
    Engine Size:
    HT383 fuel injected

I bought the 4" ORD front springs and a set of their 2.5" shackle flip for the rear. I then bought new stock 56" springs. That raised the back of my truck 5.75" and then when I installed the REID racing knuckles it flips how my tie rod mounts (and I bought a HD ORD tie rod). The flip moved the tie rod up- and it would actually hit my front leaf springs. So then I had to use the ORD zero rates to give clearance for the tie rod. That made 5".

I do love how it rides now. Bumps that would have sent me smashing my head up on the steel cab now are almost nothing.

TubeTruck and Frankenchevy like this.
  4. metal tech

metal tech Full Access Member

First Name:
    Al
    Truck Year:
    84 & 85
    Truck Model:
    K10 x2
    Engine Size:
    305 x2
    was there any particular reason you didn't get the ORD rear springs?

5. 77 K20

First Name:
    Mike
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20 5" lift
    Engine Size:
    HT383 fuel injected

I still need to haul some weight from time to time. Firewood, a trailer/5th wheel. Wanted some load carrying capacity.

And in watching another off-roader here that has a very softly spring lifted 4 runner I kinda like how the truck is still "planted" in the rear. The cab/box can twist if need be. It rides pretty nice- but don't get a ton of flex. At the most I might take out the overload spring in the rear someday and try that.

6. 77 K20

First Name:
    Mike
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20 5" lift
    Engine Size:
    HT383 fuel injected
    Just throwing an update on here. Probably 2 months ago there was a bang sound from my transfer case while cruising down the highway. Other than that one noise everything seemed fine. Nope. No 4wd. Chain broke.

I had the wide chain. Shop couldn't find one of those. They could find a new narrow chain but was very expensive and a long long lead time.

So I bought a full time NP203 from a junk yard. I had already bought a twin stick for the 203 so installed that. The left lever is for LOCK and UNLOCK of the transfer case differential. The right stick is LO/HI. The right stick linkage makes clunking noises against the transmission tunnel when in hi range. I had heard some need to massage the sheet metal out to gain a bit of clearance. In low range it clears just fine.

[​IMG]

A bit of a waste of time and money doing all of this... as now I don't really trust this used 203. I was all set to order a 4 speed Atlas transfer case but do not like their use of thrust washers and then saw this pic: (atlas and thrush washers vs tapered bearings)

[​IMG]

So I've ordered a Magnum/205 doubler. Still a long lead time due to covid or whatnot- I've wanted a "real" low range since the early 90s. Hard to get that with an automatic.

I also FINALLY got around to using my Powertank to fill up my tires. I love it! SO much quicker than using a portable compressor for about 30 minutes. Filled up all 4 tires in a little over 5 minutes.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    bucket and TubeTruck like this.
  7. TubeTruck

TubeTruck I like anything fast enough to do something stupid

First Name:
    Denis
    Truck Year:
    1978, 1975
    Truck Model:
    Suburban K10, GMC K15
    Engine Size:
    400ci, 350ci
    I had to cut a good chunk out of the passenger side of the shifter hole when I put my twin sticks in also, but they work flawlessly. I love them. I probably won't do a doubler on the Suburban but when I build a dedicated trail rig I will. 3 sticks will be cool, lol.