77 Chevy K10 Help w/ removing manual SAE Selectro locking hubs.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadMike

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Need help with removing manual locking hubs / Rotors on my truck. I have never seen one of those before. That i have on my truck right now. Hope there is someone out there. who ran into this kind of manual locking hubs. Take a look at picture to see what I'm talking about. Just need to know how to remove it. Any videos or pictures will be nice.

EDITED BY MOD: Mystery Solved !!! Jump here to see How-To and Pics of this style hub lock removal. http://www.gmsquarebody.com/posts/372433/

77 Chevy K10 Help w/ removing manual SAE Selectro locking hubs.</a>

You must be registered for see images attach

This is what i have done so far. I have remove this.

and a big ring from here.

smaller snap ring has been remove.

I have try to remove this. But it will not come out and there is a spindle nut behind it. This is where i'm stuck at.

Last edited by a moderator:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I've never seen that style but I'm sure @bucket or @HotRodPC have I tagged them to get their attention.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That looks alot like those nasty Selectro brand hub locks. I'd say you're on the right track. That part you've put a red arrow to needs to comes out to allow access to the hub lock nut.

MadMike

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have already try that.:banghead: I guess i going to have to cut it off.:superhack:

Last edited:

Azathoth

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Have you tried pushing it back to look for a hidden snap ring? I think I've had a similar part on regular warns give me trouble coming out. It was just stuck from being nasty. Finally got a scribe behind it and was able to get it out. Before you get too crazy with the ziss wheel, try drilling and tapping it for 2 screws so you have something to really grab on to and pull.

MadMike

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Have you tried pushing it back to look for a hidden snap ring? I think I've had a similar part on regular warns give me trouble coming out. It was just stuck from being nasty. Finally got a scribe behind it and was able to get it out. Before you get too crazy with the ziss wheel, try drilling and tapping it for 2 screws so you have something to really grab on to and pull.

I have look but did not find any thing. I try pulling it out. But it wont come out. I going to cut it off without cutting into the spindle. Going to do that tomorrow. Only thing i have to do is to cut it off by little by little. Just make sure i don't go to deep.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Wow, neat old Selectro lookin hubs!

I've actually never seen what makes these things tick before, so this is cool to me. But I think I do see your problem, in your pic labeled as step number 2. That whole sleeve assembly should pull out of there, but it looks like it's rusted and seized in there REALLY bad. Try smacking the outside of the wheel hub several times with a 4 pound sledge. Maybe it will break the rust loose in the hub's splines and you can pull the lockout out.

MadMike

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Have some good news.:rockit:I have cut some of the hub off.:superhack: Now i'm at the easy part. Take a look at pic. Now i can get some work done.:party36:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
It's off not pretty but it's off.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Hey uhh, your hub's missin sum teef! Boy, when you want something apart, you don't fock around, lol. You got er though!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So I take it that you had planned on replacing the hubs too? If not, you are now. Bummer you're not closer to OKC. @Honky Kong jr got me the 8 lug hubs I need, so I'm going to have these 6 luggers to donate.

So did you figure out what it was that was stuck or which step you missed to get them off? We'll need to rename this thread so others find it about these hub locks. They look Selectro to me but there is a little difference. Could be a model difference only.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
So I take it that you had planned on replacing the hubs too? If not, you are now. Bummer you're not closer to OKC. @Honky Kong jr got me the 8 lug hubs I need, so I'm going to have these 6 luggers to donate.

So did you figure out what it was that was stuck or which step you missed to get them off? We'll need to rename this thread so others find it about these hub locks. They look Selectro to me but there is a little difference. Could be a model difference only.

Do you happen to recall if the 6 lug d44 hubs had 2 different bearing sizes also, or was that just on the 8 lug hubs?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Do you happen to recall if the 6 lug d44 hubs had 2 different bearing sizes also, or was that just on the 8 lug hubs?
Not 100% certain, but almost certain there was the small and the large bearing on both 6 and 8 lug hubs in the Dana 44 front axles.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Not 100% certain, but almost certain there was the small and the large bearing on both 6 and 8 lug hubs in the Dana 44 front axles.

Yepper

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shake1969