77 C10 Silverado Longbed spring rates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steppin Razor

Reaction score
First Name
S
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 silverado
Engine Size
Does anyone know what the stock spring rates are for the front and the rear leaf springs? PO lowered mine I think 1" or 1.5" with spindles but didn't change springs or shocks. I'd like to try and get the ride tuned a bit. Thanks

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Look it up on RockAuto.com and you can usually find the options for stock springs.

mlsceo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Manuel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Drop spindles have no effect on spring rates. They simply raise the spindle, which in turn lowers the vehicle. A drop of 1 to 1 1/2" isn't enough to warrant a shock change based solely on length. I don't know the stock spring rates but if you really want tunability a coil over conversion would be the way to go.

Steppin Razor

Reaction score
First Name
S
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 silverado
Engine Size
Thanks. RockAuto has multiple options, but no listed spring rates or even way to tell what is the stock spring for my truck.

Dropping the truck doesn't affect the spring rate, but it does affect suspension travel while also preloading the spring and shock. My truck is a work truck, I can't have it drag the spare tire any time there's a load in it, but I need to know the stock rates so I can buy look for the correct upgrade rates for springs.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'd check out SD springs website. Lot of good info there. I think C10's could be had with everything from a 3/1 to a 7/1 pack and both 52 or 56" lengths. Depending on what you are doing with the truck, might be worth it to look for a spring shop that can make/ modify to fit your needs.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks. RockAuto has multiple options, but no listed spring rates or even way to tell what is the stock spring for my truck.

Dropping the truck doesn't affect the spring rate, but it does affect suspension travel while also preloading the spring and shock. My truck is a work truck, I can't have it drag the spare tire any time there's a load in it, but I need to know the stock rates so I can buy look for the correct upgrade rates for springs.
For the front... I've only seen C10 spindles in 2.5" drop. I don't believe any others were made. Doesn't affect travel, load, etc. You should be able to tell if they are stock or drop by looking at them.

In the rear...the most common way to lower a small amount is hangers/ shackles, and again would not affect load, ride, etc.

Steppin Razor

Reaction score
First Name
S
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 silverado
Engine Size
I'll take a look tomorrow, I was going by what the PO told me. I don't understand what you mean about not affecting travel though, the truck is lower to the ground, that limits the suspension travel by the amount of the drop. If it's a 100 lb/in spring and there's 200lbs of weight on a rear corner, the suspension is compressed 2". Dropped 2.5" means a limitation of 4.5" of travel. If I had 200 lb/in springs, then it would be compressed 1", +2.5" of drop, limiting travel by 3.5", gaining me 1" over the previous theoretical spring rate. Maybe I'm using the wrong terms?