77 C10 rear drum to disc conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Looks like a good deal. May not be worth a crap tho. Looks risky.

Coming from CA? According to Prop 65 they may give you cancer.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Not trying to derail you at all but other than looks and marginal increased safety in the rain, rear discs are rarely worth the expense and trouble on a C10. Been battling whether to do it on my sons '77 but probably going to stay with the drums as they are the HD version.

Your rear brakes only do 30% of the braking on these trucks, maybe more when fully loaded. A disc conversion may net you 5-10% better performance over a drum. So 5-10% better improvement on 30% that's a 1-3% improvement overall.

The cons are unless you go to a drum in hat rotor, your parking brake will never work as well, you may need to machine your axles to fit inside the rotors(I've had to do that on a few occasions), plumbing of a pro portioning valve.

It's a lot of work to try and improve something that already works well. You'll probably spend double what you think you are going to spend and significantly more time. That being said, they do look better, much better, and I still end up doing the conversion most of the time.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
I've been debating this for my k5 for some time.
I'm installing a 14B SF (6 lug) from a 90's pickup to replace the existing 10 bolt.
I need to replace brakes so I started looking at disk brake conversions.
In order to keep the 15 inch wheels and have an e-brake on the axle you have to use Eldorado calipers from the 70's. They have a lever to apply pressure to the piston to be the e-brake. I read many times that it doesn't hold that well. Not even close to factory drums.
The other option as mentioned above is disk brake hat with shoes in the center.
This however needs larger wheels. At least 16 but probably 17 inch.
The more I investigate the more I think I should stay with drums.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hugger-4641