1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

76 GMC Crew, Long Box, Dually...Gotta get it on the road again!!

Discussion in '2wd Pick-Ups C/R 20 2500 C/R 30 3500' started by OldBlueDually, Jun 16, 2020.

1. OldBlueDually

OldBlueDually Full Access Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    Finally got the heads, and the intake put on tonight with the help of our oldest daughter.

Good times, super warm garage, and great non-stop oldies (50's/60's) playing on the stereo system.

Here she is doing the torque sequence on the heads, as we got closer to 80 ft. lbs. I had to lend a hand...

Kind of nice having this help, because as she was installing these head bolts and turning them in by hand I was prepping the other bolts & head.

[​IMG]

Here she is doing the other cylinder head too!

[​IMG]

Here she is lending a hand by chasing the threads on the intake bolts for me while I cleaned up the intake & prepped the valley pan gasket. Yes, I do know I need to do some MAJOR cleaning in the garage after this! It's a disaster right now. Wrenching on old sleds, and other peoples sleds, and trying to wrench on this truck....my garage has seen better days!

[​IMG]

mcarlo86, DoubleDingo and Old77 like this.
  2. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    This just melted my heart and turned me into mush....she has been helping on the truck, and now she is helping with the engine. Pictures on page 802 of installing the cylinder heads with her. She did a lot of work.

I came home from work the other night and saw this on the counter.

I will be keeping this forever;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

77 K20, Big Chip, akchevrolet and 5 others like this.
  3. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    Here she is helping me install the pushrods. She is using the assembly lube on the ends of the pushrods where they meet the lifters, then putting them in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    Now she is helping install the rocker arm assemblies. She first wiped them clean, then used assembly lube on where the pushrod meets the rocker arm. She also put the assembly lube on the top of the valve stems also for the rocker arm.

[​IMG]

Here she is looking up the torque specs and information in regards to rocker arm install. I showed her the legend in the book, then she looked up the pages and found what we needed.

[​IMG]

77 K20, Big Chip, akchevrolet and 2 others like this.
  5. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    DoubleDingo and Craig 85 like this.
  6. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    THEN....it gets even better!!! I came across these, made a phone call, sending him the money....and now they are mine after I go pick them up.

Notice the stickers :D They are like new! The one in the upper left has a couple minor blemishes, but I don't care. They are in way better shape than any I have seen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bucket, Big Chip, 77 K20 and 4 others like this.
  7. Old77

Old77 Super Moderator Staff Member

First Name:
    Jacob
    Truck Year:
    1977/1991
    Truck Model:
    C10 longbed/R3500 Dually
    Engine Size:
    350/454
    That is priceless stuff right there :)

OldBlueDually likes this.
  8. mcarlo86

mcarlo86 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Brian
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Suburban
    Engine Size:
    Are you converting to single wheels instead of duals?

9. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    Nope. I bought it as a dually and I plan to keep it that way. I think it looks pretty cool with 4 hubcaps and regular rims all around. Also, when was the last time you saw a single wheel rear 1 ton to a conversion to duals? :D

I have actually never seen one until this truck, so I liked it because it was unique. A page or two back is the guy that originally built in back in 1986 or so and put the J.C. Whitney dually kit on it.

mcarlo86 and Old77 like this.
  10. mcarlo86

mcarlo86 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Brian
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Suburban
    Engine Size:
    That is interesting. I am not sure I have seen regular rims on a dually in the rear before. How does that dually kit work? There was a '79 C30 Silverado crew cab roller for sale here in ND a couple weeks back that didn't have an engine or transmission that I should have jumped on, but I took too long to decide and it sold.

OldBlueDually likes this.
  11. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    I have honestly never seen it before either, and would have noticed something like this if I had seen it.

So it was a regular 1 rear wheel 1 ton. Here below is the kit. You can see the long hex studs on the drum, and next to the drum you can see the large spacer that goes over the hex studs. I think it is pretty cool, and that I will be able to use my regular hubcaps on it too and I will throw on some thin chrome outer trim rings.

Drum-Spacer-Extensions.JPG

12. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds

I hear ya about waiting too long....this one here below I could not afford at the time and had to let it go....kinda sucked, beautiful rig. The below is from a thread I posted long ago.

Here is one that was hard to walk away from a couple years back at a local dealer, and it was so hard to do.... The truck has been painted, but had 60k original miles on it. Had thee most gutless 454 I have ever stepped into! I know I could have changed that.

However, when you don't have the cash (considering the asking price was about $3,000) you simply don't have the cash. I could've maybe borrowed that cash, but I could not justify it at that point with a set of twin babies on the way.....and we already have 2 kids!!

Anyhow, I wanted to share this clean example of a beautiful truck! The rubber items around windows was a bit crusty (who cares), underneath was mild surface rust (who cares), and the most gutless 454 was under the hood (who cares).....I say who cares because all that can be fixed!

Anyhow, I am happy with my 76 GMC crew that I recently picked up, at a time that I can now afford to have it.

[​IMG]

RatSoup, akchevrolet and mcarlo86 like this.
  13. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    I finally placed an order for some more engine parts, so I have a water pump coming, will get a radiator ordered soon. Also ordered some door window crank parts, and other misc little items to get things put back together.

To help doll up this 455 Olds I also ordered a new "vintage" Olds Rocket air cleaner for it that has the modified base for a quadrajet and clearance for an HEI distributor.

I also bought a set of original vintage Rocket Olds valve covers that I will be modifying to fit my 455 engine. They will take some work, but nothing I cannot handle.

Rocket Air Cleaner.JPG

Rocket Valve Covers.JPG

Dave M, bucket, GXPWeasel and 4 others like this.
  14. shanegtr

shanegtr Full Access Member

First Name:
    Shane
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R2500 Suburban
    Engine Size:
    Just wanted to say great work getting your daughter to help out. While my daughter hasn't helped much in the garage (neither have my boys for that matter...)she certainly likes watching live motorsport - took her to the dirt speedway to watch sprintcars a couple of weeks ago for the first time and she just loved the noise! Anyway good to see the girls getting involved.

akchevrolet and OldBlueDually like this.
  15. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    The air cleaner arrived today, it is fricken awesome!!! It will be painted blue & some pinstriping done by a friend of mine.

I will be running the quadrajet that I have for it. The Holley was just for the pic.

Air Cleaner1.JPG

Air Cleaner2.JPG

I also continued stripping the paint tonight, the crap you see dried up on the engine is dried paint stripper, used a little laquer thinner & a wire wheel on the engine to break it all loose.

Paint Strip-1.JPG

bucket and GXPWeasel like this.