1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

76 GMC Crew, Long Box, Dually...Gotta get it on the road again!!

Discussion in '2wd Pick-Ups C/R 20 2500 C/R 30 3500' started by OldBlueDually, Jun 16, 2020.

1. MrPink

MrPink Full Access Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10
    Engine Size:
    awesome project. i wish a crew cab long bed would fit in my garage but alas it wont lol

2. OldBlueDually

OldBlueDually Full Access Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    So as you guys know, the original owner of this truck contacted me through the old snowmobile site!!! AND to boot he sent me some fricken awesome pictures of it too!

Now I kind of regret letting the previous owner keep the windshield visor and cab flare....previous asked to keep them for another square and I said sure no problem.

So, here is how Kent purchased the truck when he got it! He said the truck was originally blue (as you can see on the firewall), and someone painted it the two tone colors. He put it back to a beautiful blue color. As you can also see, she wasn't a dually either! The dually kit came from JC Whitney. In talking to my dad he said I bet that kit came from there because they had them available for these trucks.

oldblue1.jpg

Here is the truck all painted up and shiny with the running boards, visor, and cab flare added. Man she is pretty!

oldblue3.jpg

And here is why he built her up the way he did!

oldblue5.jpg

Big Chip, 77 K20, Old77 and 6 others like this.
  3. 78C10BigTen

78C10BigTen Full Access Member

First Name:
    Ted
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10 BIG TEN
    Engine Size:
    Thats hard to believe!!:Whoa:

OldBlueDually likes this.
  4. BigDaddy72

BigDaddy72 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Travis
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C30 Chassis Cab
    Engine Size:
    Very cool!!

5. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    Turns out he STILL has the 468 & TH400 that was in it, but he won't sell them as he says he hoards them, but hey, who can blame him!!!

Not to mention, I have enough invested in this 455 Olds now that I gotta keep going on this path.

78C10BigTen likes this.
  6. GXPWeasel

GXPWeasel Full Access Member

First Name:
    Greg
    Truck Year:
    1982 | 2015
    Truck Model:
    Sierra C15 | Silverado Z71
    Engine Size:
    5.0 | 5.3
    Those are some cool old pictures. I'll bet we all wish we had old / original pictures of our squares, and very few of us do. Nice find!

7. 78C10BigTen

78C10BigTen Full Access Member

First Name:
    Ted
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10 BIG TEN
    Engine Size:
    Ive got old pics of my dads 73 from the day i graduated high school in 2005. It was in the background, i was taking a pic of him on his harley.

GXPWeasel and OldBlueDually like this.
  8. mcarlo86

mcarlo86 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Brian
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Suburban
    Engine Size:
    I think that Massey on the trailer was one of those that had a Detroit 2 stroke diesel. Similar to a Super 99 Oliver. Cool pics!

9. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    @mcarlo86 I don't doubt that it is one, kinda resembles one. I know a local guy that has a hopped up Flathead V8 in one of them Massey's for pulling.

This guy that owned my truck said he built it specifically to pull his trailer with the pulling tractors, said he went all over hell to to tractor pulls. This truck still has the massive steel plate with the ball in the middle of it in the bed...that will be coming out with the cherry picker!

mcarlo86 likes this.
  10. Old77

Old77 Super Moderator Staff Member

First Name:
    Jacob
    Truck Year:
    1977/1991
    Truck Model:
    C10 longbed/R3500 Dually
    Engine Size:
    350/454
    Awesome project!

11. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    Thank you! It has been a lot of fun, I cannot wait to hear this baby fire up though with the Olds Powerplant. It will be a fun cruiser to take the family in. I was sitting there thinking the other day I may keep the bench seat from my parts truck and throw it in the box of this one because the kids would have a blast tooling around town in the box. I know we as kids loved that when dad would cruise in town with us in the truck box of the '51 Ford.

Old77 likes this.
  12. GXPWeasel

GXPWeasel Full Access Member

First Name:
    Greg
    Truck Year:
    1982 | 2015
    Truck Model:
    Sierra C15 | Silverado Z71
    Engine Size:
    5.0 | 5.3

Do it!
    My dad put a school bus seat in the back of an S-10 when we were kids. We loved riding back there down country roads. Probably could pull 1lb. of gravel dust out of our noses after those rides.

13. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    Haha, I can just see it now with that gravel dust!!!! Yuck!

I think the kiddo's would love it, I know we sure had fun doing it!

14. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    Have been working on the engine lately, with our oldest helping me out on it so she is anxious to keep on building more of it!

I had to cut down the valve guides to allow the double valve springs to be able to work with the new oil seals. The umbrella seals would not fit with these double valve springs.

The heads themselves looked awesome, so I ended up lapping all the valves in it to be sure they all seated correctly. Once I get the camshaft installed and new lifters (for the 2nd time....) I will be degreeing the cam to be sure all is well with it, so I ended up buying a double roller chain and gears for it to be able to help degree the cam.

Here are a few pictures.

Our oldest helping me remove cylinder head bolts.

20201211_182626.jpg

Valves look pretty dang good!

20201211_181607.jpg

Removing the old valve springs, our daughter helping me on this.

Natalie2.JPG

Cut down valve guides for the oil seal. Here is the cutter and arbor.

20201215_173545.jpg

Head6.JPG

15. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    So degreeing in the new camshaft has been a major pain in my ass for 2 weeks!!!! HOWEVER, I am not one to give up so I kept on trucking. My original timing gear set had 3 keyways in it for the bottom gear, stock/4 deg. advance/4 deg. retard.

Each of them was way the hell off. Crap. So each night for a few hours a night I was wrenching on it, watching YouTube video's, wrench more, re-read the directions that came with it, and talking to you guys on here about WTF to do with this thing and make sure I was doing it right!!!....still, no matter how many different ways from Sunday I tried to degree it, I kept coming up with all the same numbers each time (so I guess that is kind of good I didn't get all different numbers each time I re-did everything). I probably degreed the engine 8 different times.....

For the heck of it, I threw on my stock (original) timing set, re-did TDC/degreeing process and it came out 4 degrees advanced!! Makes me wonder if the original cam was advanced by that?

This last weekend I ordered a "Cloyes" brand timing set, this baby has 9 keyways in the bottom gear to degree it at 2 degree intervals. SO....I put this set in the stock position, I was still off by 4 degrees advanced! So, I retarded it 2 degrees from lessons learned retarding it 4 degrees on the other gear set. It finally came out good!!!!

I was looking for 102 degree cam centerline. My final & last number was 100.75 so I am advanced by 1.25 degrees. I am now a happy camper!!! This past Monday is when I finally got it.

All of the above means now I can finally start assembling the engine. Now I need to order headers too :cool: :favorites37: Yeah, I am super fricken happy now!

Here is the first timing set I purchased for it.

Timing set-instructions.JPG

Trying to degree in the cam....was finding true TDC at this point.

Degree wheel.JPG

Dial indicator trued & all setup

Dial indicator.JPG

Here is the Cloyes timing set with the 9 bottom keyways. I do have to say, I am VERY impressed with this timing set. I had to put a glaze of oil on my crank stub and press this baby on hard with my hands! Nice snug fit. The Cloyes chain had very little play in it too, I like that.

The first timing set slipped right on and you could feel a bit of play in the lower gear. The chain also had about the same amount of slack in it my original timing set had...a bit much. From this experience I would recommend Cloyes timing sets, I will be using them again on other builds!!!!

Cloyes Timing Set on engine.JPG

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    akchevrolet and 77 K20 like this.