1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

76 GMC Crew, Long Box, Dually...Gotta get it on the road again!!

Discussion in '2wd Pick-Ups C/R 20 2500 C/R 30 3500' started by OldBlueDually, Jun 16, 2020.

1. OldBlueDually

OldBlueDually Full Access Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    Yes, unfortunately. She is pretty rotted out however. I wouldnt mind in the least doing the work (metal and welding) to bring it back, but another parts truck would be needed, and a lot more time and money.

After sitting for 20+ years, she fired up tonight!! I checked the oil, threw a battery in it and it cranked nice! Dumped some fuel down the carb, hooked up an auxiliary tank and got her running!

Tach works awesome, all lights, blinkers, horn...everything works, trans goes into gear. I was impressed.

Rusty Nail likes this.
  2. Goldie Driver

Goldie Driver Full Access Member

First Name:
    Britt
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    GMC K1500 Suburban
    Engine Size:
    See ?

Its a sign. :)

Great score !

bucket likes this.
  3. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    Yeah it is a sign, but I still need parts for OldBlue! In fact the sign for getting the engine running is more of these signs $$$$$ :) to be honest. I do plan to sell the engine & trans as a pair.

Catbox likes this.
  4. Rusty Nail

Rusty Nail Victim of Culture

First Name:
    Rusty
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20, K5
    Engine Size:
    350, 350
    Green squares are super cool. Especially if they have hubcaps!
    Moar pix pliz.

5. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    Speaking of hubcaps, the 4 on this one are dang nice except for fading on the center GMC part. The green is kind of an ugly, yet very cool color, and I dig the two tone white top on it! I also think it's neat because of being a half ton long box. Too much work to get her back on the road, otherwise I may have just kept it if it was nice enough.

I already have one basket case GMC, I don't need two of them!

Big Chip likes this.
  6. Rusty Nail

First Name:
    Rusty
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20, K5
    Engine Size:
    350, 350
    That doesn't cut mustard. Please try again.

1_The-Simpsons.jpg

New guy... there is an Official Quota Number of self tappers AND wood screws to qualify membership in this here club or it will never be Square! We thought you knew!

7. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    I was not aware of this! Beyond ground cables and maybe a few other trinkets I do not see any other self tappers in this thing that were factory. Plenty of self tappers others have added to it however! Wood screws, none that I have found!

I guess I will hafta just start putting in random screws to be a part of this here club :cheers:

Rusty Nail likes this.
  8. Rusty Nail

First Name:
    Rusty
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20, K5
    Engine Size:
    350, 350
    Ahh good!
    Yessir. Gon need some wood screws pretty sure..maybe you can find a good spot for some in the interior..because screw using the right fasteners..everybody can find a spot for a drywall screw in their Squarebody..rest easy! I found some repairing HVAC ducting..you'll love it!

Good luck!

mcarlo86 and OldBlueDually like this.
  9. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    I FINALLY got the danged thing off the jack stands! This truck has been on those stands since the day I brought it home. Juggling this project, plus the family, general home maintenance and full time work doesn't leave much sometimes for this project!

Last night I finally got the correct ball joint installed! That alone took since last week Thursday to get corrected. Last week I ordered the ball joint, brought it home and wow....that was NOT going to work, unless it is in my kids Chebby Powerwheels!!! Here is a picture, you can see the difference!

Get this though, I called 5 different Napa's (in hopes someone had an idea of what I really needed for this!), Auto Value, Auto Zone (where I got the part to begin with, and finally the correct one), and O'reilly, they all had the same dang part number I had in hand already, or it crossed over to this part (10258 I believe is the part number that doesn't work).

Anyhow, after that was installed, I continued on the rearend of the truck installing the axle by myself which really sucked! Thank goodness for ratchet straps to help assist with lifting the leaf springs while the floor jack had the axle on it!

I had to set it on the ground anyhow so I can now get my front shocks connected, and I need to hook up my sway bar, but because the truck was off the ground I could not do any of that.

The rearend I need to weld on the frame, and I also need to weld the axle to the perches once I get my driveshaft/pinion angle correct.

Anyhow, more work to do, but it has been a fun and much learning experience!

Here are the ball joints.....

76 Ball Joint.jpg

So, from this.....

76GMC-4.jpg

To this......where she sits on the ground!!!!!! No engine in it yet, so the front will go a bit lower yet! Ya ever notice how you kinda make a mess when working on this stuff, looks like the under hood just threw up :D

76 Lowered.jpg

10. Rusty Nail

First Name:
    Rusty
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20, K5
    Engine Size:
    350, 350
    Keep it up!
    Slow and Steady wins the race!

1_3SAWEV0Q5P8x2i6eY6ht1A.jpeg

OldBlueDually likes this.
  11. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    Did a whole lot of work this weekend on this baby! Insulation is done, carpeting is installed, rear seat/belts installed!

What I have not taken pictures of yet is the dash vent stuff, there are more pieces than meets the eyes when working on that stuff! I tell ya, I am sooooo glad I bought that 76 GMC parts truck, that baby is so complete and not touched it isn't even funny!

Luckily I have the parts truck because when installing my vent/heat system I was missing a few pieces, and fasteners so now my truck is actually more complete than when I got it!

Insulation was finished last Friday night.

Insulation done.JPG

Carpet in also Friday night to let it rest.

Carpet in.JPG

Final install of carpet, rear seat & belts in.

76 Carpet back seat-2.JPG

76 Carpet back seat.JPG

Used this little trick to help me find where to cut the holes for the bolts, used the end of a screw on applicator for a caulk tube, cut it to stick up a bit and then put the carpet over it and I knew right where to cut the carpet....

Where to cut.JPG

77 K20 likes this.
  12. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    Sunday morning I started the install of the vent system, and just about have it done. I was also able to take out the AC condenser box/blower fan housing from the parts truck for mine, holy crap the bottom two left fasteners took me over an hour to get out!!! What a major pain in the butt!!

I sprayed/cleaned all the chrome vents from the parts truck because they are in very nice shape compared to my broken ones I have! So those are ready to go in.

I also need to either spend a lot of money on a new dash, or fix up the one from my parts truck and paint it.....or just leave the bare steel!!! I am thinking of fixing the parts truck dash because that too is also in better shape than mine.

More to come, I also need to start the engine work!

Craig 85 and Big Chip like this.
  13. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    Well this dang thing has gone over time and budget
    :Caffeine:

Now there needs to be more budget! Man, so close yet so far. I need to do the engine work discussed above, so I guess time to save a bit more now!! Dang, thought I was gunna have enough! I will still tinker on stuff I was going to work on after the engine install and still get it closer to completion, but I like to complete one task at a time!

Sorry for no pictures....a bare engine isn't very fun to look at.....:party52:

14. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    I did start engine work, so I took about 3 steps forward on that until I found out I have to grind my valve seats for a new style valve stem oil seal......so back apart everything on the top end came apart. Then in talking to another friend whom has built many engine asked "did you degree the cam" and my response was "did I do what to the cam".....he starts laughing and fills me in on what I gotta do and the gears/chain needed for the cam so I can adjust it properly, so off comes the pump/front cover, gears and chain. In total I am about 5 steps back now from where I started. Screw it, I can do engine work this winter, and the truck did not make it on the road as planned. Oh well.

I have now started the wiring disaster I have been dreading for a while. I am thankful I have that untouched green 76 GMC as a reference!! This blue one was a freaking disaster and had so many wires cut, spliced, other wiring all over the place. The last couple weeks I have been working on this thanks to the huge book my dad gave me for 77 to 79 GM trucks, and thanks to this site and the people on it that have posted up wiring diagrams!!

I really wish I had taken more before pictures, but since I am stupid and just want to work I neglect to take pics.....

Here is a taste of how the mess was to begin with, even the headlight/signal harnesses were messed with....ugghhh!!

Wiring mess-3.JPG

Here is all the wiring fixed up, I taped each wire end (with or without connectors) and wrote what it goes to. Now each wire will have a home. The headlight/signal harness is all fixed up and routed in the proper spot. This main harness shown is in a new wire loom and will be connected up once engine is dropped in.

Wiring mess-1.JPG

And here we have a whole bunch of wiring they put into this truck for whatever reason they did, I have no idea. There were 3 toggle switches mounted in the cab too that also came out, with the wiring that was on them (no shown), but this mess was from under the hood. At the top right of the picture you see a bracket & wire that was suppose to hook to the steering box, well that was messed up too so it came out. My green truck had a super nice one in it, so I put that into my blue one.

Wiring mess-2.JPG

I will now be tackling the fuel tank wiring mess, thankfully inside the truck they have not tapped into any fuel switch wires, or messed with the fuel switch plug. The main fuel line is cut and a powered fuel pump is on the outside of the passenger side rail, so I will be digging into this more coming up.

77 K20 and MTCowpoke22 like this.
  15. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    Still looking for the Olds 350 Diesel engine mounts like these! The Olds diesel was used in the late 70's & early 80s GM trucks.

Olds Diesel Motor Mounts 464715 464716.jpg