1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

76 crew cab

Discussion in '2wd Pick-Ups C/R 20 2500 C/R 30 3500' started by TheFishBox, Nov 13, 2016.

1. TheFishBox

TheFishBox Full Access Member

First Name:
    nick
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    v30
    Engine Size:
    6.0 ls
    And she is in the air.

488827C7-A88E-4D1F-9808-7DB092BB6A71.jpeg

2. OldBlueDually

OldBlueDually Full Access Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds

Hey congrats man on the twins!!!!! That is so awesome! Are these your first babies, or do you have kids already?

We also had twin girls 2 years back in September! So now we have 4 girls, and my garage time is so very nice to have when I get the chance! I would not trade having kids for anything in the world though, they are so fun and especially when they help in the shop too!

Again, congrats to you both! Hope mom & babies are all doing well.

Here is our oldest Natalie helping me out on the 455 Olds for my 76 GMC dually, removing head bolts. Girls can be gearheads! I got in more parts for the engine a couple days in a row and Natalie said "dad can we work on it more now!!" I said not quite yet, other stuff to do before we start with the parts that came in. She is excited to work on it again.

Natalie1.JPG

TheFishBox likes this.
  3. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    What I found to be the best for something like this that you are unsure of thickness is to put on a layer of "Mar-Glass". This stuff is strong as steel, it fills very nicely and it has fiber strands. The stuff is very thick and will give you a slight workout when mixing, but it is well worth the money and the time. Rough up your surface well before applying this. I suggest 80 to 100 grit to rough it up.

The smoother you put on mar-glass the less elbow grease you will need to sand it down. After curing I cut this stuff down with a big flat-block hand sander using 80 grit adhesive backed paper. Seems coarse, but you will need it. After you are done with the 80 grit, wipe it down with DX-330 degreaser and wipe it dry right after. After that I blow it off with an air gun to verify all is dry. (other times I have skipped the DX-330 and just blew it off really well). Once dry (or blown off), then apply your regular body filler to it and work your magic with a finer grit.

TheFishBox likes this.
  4. TheFishBox

First Name:
    nick
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    v30
    Engine Size:
    6.0 ls
    I will look into the mar-glass thanks for the tip.

ya, these are our first babies thanks for the congratulations. Everyone is doing good after there 11 day stay in the nicu.

OldBlueDually likes this.
  5. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds

That mar-glass is very good and solid stuff. Great to help level out an area. Regular filler on top of that and you will be golden.

Wow, first babies as twins, that is just great! Glad to hear they are doing well, the nicu's are very great to have and the staff at them is so pleasant to be around.

Our babies were also in the nicu for a couple weeks also. Our pregnancy was horrible however, my wife had a condition called cholestasis. Basically what happens is your liver is not functioning properly, and it is putting bile salts into the blood stream and poisons the blood which the babies also get. This puts the pregnancy at a very high risk, and chances of miscarrying greatly increase which is scary as hell. On top of that because of this condition my wife was in a constant state of itching and it would not stop no matter how hard she scratched. She was drawing blood on her arms, legs, chest, back...she described it as the worst itch you have ever had right down to the bones but no amount of scratching relieves it. Nightime was the worst. We had so many ER visits I can't even explain, it was horrible. Glad to say all is well with them, and about 5 minutes after babies were born the itching was gone.

Sorry to railroad the thread there a bit. Give that stuff a try and see what you think. It is as tough as nails and really adheres like crazy.

6. TheFishBox

First Name:
    nick
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    v30
    Engine Size:
    6.0 ls
    That’s crazy my wife got itching so damn bad like the day after she had the girls and then most of her body broke out in a big rash, to which she explained very similarly to your wife as being the worst itch ever and no amount of scratching would soothe it. Hers went away about a week later.
    Not to worried about the derailing of the thread seeing as at this time the truck doesn’t get much attention not because of the girls entirely but the mother in laws car gave up the ghost and like an idiot I offered to change the engine for her. Let’s just say that a 2017 Nissans engine doesn’t come out like a squarebody.:Grenade:

7. GXPWeasel

GXPWeasel Full Access Member

First Name:
    Greg
    Truck Year:
    1982 | 2015
    Truck Model:
    Sierra C15 | Silverado Z71
    Engine Size:
    5.0 | 5.3
    Yea, so I don't know what's worse. Sounds like your guys' wives had rough goes with pregnancy, and mine couldn't get pregnant without a lot of help, and that didn't even work most of the time. Crazy how you never heard of this when we were kids. Everyone was getting pregnant by just walking by one another back then. Or at least that's what the middle school health videos wanted you to believe.

Glad your better halves are doing well, and the babies are healthy.

OldBlueDually and idahovette like this.
  8. idahovette

idahovette Full Access Member

First Name:
    Perry
    Truck Year:
    1975-1979
    Truck Model:
    K20-K10
    Engine Size:
  9. OldBlueDually

First Name:
    Justin
    Truck Year:
    1976 GMC
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds
    Now that is crazy! Usually this cholestasis is a cause because of pregnancy, wonder if your wife had cholestasis or another thing going on? Either way it sucks, bad! The only thing that helped was a cool bath (which she hates), and once she took benadryl (doc said it was fine to do), but THEN the babies did not move for over a day which scared the shit out of us! Back to the ER we go. A few different times ziploc bags with ice, frozen peas/corn/veggies in bags helped, her body covered in them would help relieve the itching. She was miserable.

Glad to hear that it only happened for a little bit with your wife and it went away!! Month's of it with babies still developing really sucked!

Oh, newer cars are soooo fun to work on, aren't they! :oops:

10. TheFishBox

First Name:
    nick
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    v30
    Engine Size:
    6.0 ls
    Does anyone have experience with the Dakota digital gauges? I am looking into placing my order and they have a plethora of options. Has anyone done these gauges with an ls swap?

11. RatSoup

RatSoup Junior Member

First Name:
    Lee
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20 Crew Cab
    Engine Size:
    I have. What questions do you have?

12. TheFishBox

First Name:
    nick
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    v30
    Engine Size:
    6.0 ls
    Man I haven’t spent much time on the truck but wanted to give an update. Seats showed up last week so now I will be grafting in 2015 leather Chevy seats with a center console full power/heated. Need to look into how to trick the heater portion to work but I think I can just get power to a switch and it will just be full heat or nothing it looks like. The seats currently in the lowest position sit about two inches higher than the bench so I will be taking some out of the floor and try to use the factory 2015 style seat mounts. The back seat looks like I will be able to just make a framework in the rear for it to bolt to but we will see.

I also worked on getting the passenger side rocker fully welded in along with some spots under the dash that had rusted thru.

ooh and the motor is being swapped out for a lbz duramax which probably means I will never get to finishing it seeing as that’s how these crew cab builds usually go.:(:(:(:(

CD2CE3ED-5823-4BAD-BD97-097C18E9FA97.jpeg

58DDEBCD-A2AB-4A76-BDB6-11EB5F0B420E.jpeg

53B01733-D9BD-46DE-A43C-B704BEB11301.jpeg

Craig 85 likes this.
  13. TheFishBox

First Name:
    nick
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    v30
    Engine Size:
    6.0 ls
    Question for you guys, with the duramax I am installing a four inch lift which will be followed by 35 inch tires. With the larger tires I won’t be able to have the spare in the usual spot so I am adding a 31 gallon blazer tank and running a lift pump directly from that tank. I had planned on having the filler neck come out in the driver side and keeping the driver side saddle tank.
    My question is this do you guys think it would be worth it to have both saddle tanks or just the driver side? My thought was to have the saddle tank hooked up to pump into the blazer tank, not sure if I would have a reason to need 70 gallons of fuel though.