75-79 Saginaw PS Pump Brackets for BBC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hi guys... after hours of googling I am stumped. Maybe I’m using the wrong terms or model info so here it goes.

My ‘79 C10 was a 305/350 truck stock. It is now a 454/350 truck and retains the ‘75-‘79 light duty truck Saginaw PS pump. Tuff Stuff sells identical pumps as part number 6164A I believe. I do not know the OEM part number for the Saginaw pump. (Link to Tuff Stuff:
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...&ved=0ahUKEwjMsY2OwYbfAhWuuFkKHcazCiwQgTYI6QE)

Thing is that I haven’t found a single mounting bracket for attaching this pump to a bbc. The old small block mounts didn’t work, the ICT Billet mounts I bought on eBay didn’t work, and I’m not going to throw another dime at this issue until I know what the hell it is that I need to attach this thing to my engine.

It’s been four months with no progress on this issue and I’m getting her ready to hit the road... HELP lol!

Old pic of it laying in the engine bay (more pics to come if requested):

You must be registered for see images attach

This mount is a Skip White but identical to the ICT Billet mount that does not fit my pump due to the pumps stud placement.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Any progress on this?

The bracket still attached to your pump cannot be used. The Skip White brackets you posted look like they would work, you just have to move the stud that's in the pump. Just trade places with the bolt and the stud.

For ease of assembly, the hole would need slotted on the lower brackets. That way the pump can drop into place with the bolt already installed behind the pulley, then just tighten up the bolt and stud/nut once the belt tension is set. This is how the factory lower bracket is set up, but it's all one piece instead of two plates and some spacers.

Repro brackets meant for an early 70's Chevelle should work fine too.

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for the info. The old mounts came off months ago but the pump has stayed in pretty much the same spot since. I’m gonna feel like an idiot if the ICT mounts would work after moving the stud lol.

I’d feel doubly dumb if that was the case because I bought the Billet Specialties mount after reading through the install pdf. It looked like it should work and is due in later on this evening. I’ll try to install that tomorrow once I finish up the trans cooler install. The rad is pulled back a few inches for extra clearance on the trans cooler job so I won’t be making any progress until I snag my other cordless drill. Broke the “good” one this morning.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My big blocks use a power steering pump with the remote reservior style can on them. That late small block style can may cause an interference problem somewhere, but I'm not sure. That style of can started getting used about when GM quit putting big bocks into cars.

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The ICT Billet mounts will not work because the PS pump does not have a spot for a stud on the passenger side. I do not think the Billet Specialties mount will fit for the same reason. It only has a single hole on the rear towards the drivers side.

I'm $200 into mounts that don't work and this is getting ridiculous. Time for a new pump.

The ICT instructions show an identical pump with stud on the other side. See pic below.

Here's the PDF instructions for the Billet Specialties mounts.

This kit looks it might be like the right one. Here's the pump by itself. I'll probably just throw another $150 at it and see what happens since no one seems to know anything more than I do.

Last edited:

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I'd almost bet there are threads in the pump but the can isn't made with the access hole ? Maybe ??

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'd almost bet there are threads in the pump but the can isn't made with the access hole ? Maybe ??

Are you saying that the mounting hole I need may well be there, hidden inside of the casing?

I’d really rather replace than attempt to modify or rebuild at this point in time.

Last edited:

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I have changed out the cans on these pumps and some of the pumps have multiple bolt holes that the cans don't. Sometimes the cans are very hard to remove ,though, so caution!!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Last time I tried to rebuild a pump, I got really mad at it and went and bought a reman pump instead. It was the big block in my crew cab too. From what I remember, the pump was cheap and I got one with the can on it too. It's a can with the remote reservior.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I have the repair manual for my '75, and the diagrams show that the BBC and SBC use the same PS pump brackets, but the SBC 400 usies a different bracket. I always thought 350 and 400 would be the same, but apparently that isn't the case. Was your original SBC a 400?

The brackets on my SBC 350 are different than in your picture. The 1st bracket forms a cradle that wraps around the front, back and bottom, and there is a pivot bolt that goes through the bottom of the bracket and into the block. There is a 2nd L-shaped bracket bolted on the front and it extends across the top/drivers side and over to the adjustment bolt.

I've attached an old picture of what my brackets looked like with the original A/C compressor (1st picture). The 2nd picture is with the pump unbolted, but it might be easier to see the two brackets.

I also found a couple other items to be aware of with the PS pump.
- My truck has the HD cooling option and A/C, so it uses a longer PS belt that goes over the crankshaft, water pump and PS pump. Non-A/C trucks have a shorter PS belt that only goes over the PS pump and crankshaft (when I took the picture it had the short belt). With the long belt, if the alternator belt breaks, the PS belt will continue to drive the water pump, so you still have cooling.
- I have a Cloyes 2-piece timing cover and the bolt heads and cover stick out a little more than OEM. I had to grind the back portion of the PS pump bracket to clear the timing cover so that I could get full travel when rotating the pump to tension the belt. Without grinding I hit a hard stop against the timing cover before the belt was tight.

Bruce

Last edited:

K201979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hippie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350ci
I bought a reman pump for my 350 n when i tried to bolt up the bracket the can was clocked wrong. I had to put the reman pump in my old can for it to work. Pumps were the same but cans were clocked different. Dunno if that helps:33:

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hi guys... after hours of googling I am stumped. Maybe I’m using the wrong terms or model info so here it goes.

My ‘79 C10 was a 305/350 truck stock. It is now a 454/350 truck and retains the ‘75-‘79 light duty truck Saginaw PS pump. Tuff Stuff sells identical pumps as part number 6164A I believe. I do not know the OEM part number for the Saginaw pump. (Link to Tuff Stuff:
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...&ved=0ahUKEwjMsY2OwYbfAhWuuFkKHcazCiwQgTYI6QE)

Thing is that I haven’t found a single mounting bracket for attaching this pump to a bbc. The old small block mounts didn’t work, the ICT Billet mounts I bought on eBay didn’t work, and I’m not going to throw another dime at this issue until I know what the hell it is that I need to attach this thing to my engine.

It’s been four months with no progress on this issue and I’m getting her ready to hit the road... HELP lol!

Old pic of it laying in the engine bay (more pics to come if requested):

This mount is a Skip White but identical to the ICT Billet mount that does not fit my pump due to the pumps stud placement.

You must be registered for see images
Looks like you need to take the current brackets off the pump and remove the stud on the back and use 3/8 bolts.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I feel your pain on throwing money at it. I spent over 500 on pulleys and brackets designed for both small and big blocks. I had to add flat washers to get alignment, grind the pump to get belt adjustment, and add bracket to the block to keep the belt tight. The brackets you have are a better design than mine and look just as good.

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for the input guys, good info too. Wish I could say it helped with these specific parts. Basically, this pump won’t fit any of the mounts I have. It’s going in the trash if I don’t kill it with a large hammer first.

So I went ahead and ordered the almost identical Jegs brand Saginaw-style pump that has the extra rear mounting hole that I need and a pulley. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota