700R4 TV Cable Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OchoCinco

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So after removing the old cable because it had a ton of play in the bracket hole, I installed this new one on the new street demon carb with the correct throttle/tv cable bracket for 700R4... the cable wire sticks out about an inch past the linkage... I don't know what to do? Put a spring and nut on the end to make up for the slack? the original cable is the exact same specs as the one I purchased. Anyone have this issue?

You must be registered for see images attach

K5ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
When I did my 700r4, I contacted Bowtie Overdrives. They sell everything for these. I got their cable geometry correction linkage for my Edelbrock and the TV cable. I also got the lockup kit so the converter locks up properly and doesn't go in and out of lockup. Give them a call. They are very knowledgable and helpful. GM overdrive transmissions is all they do. They helped me to get mine working fantastic.

https://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/
Phone: 760-947-5240

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
So after removing the old cable because it had a ton of play in the bracket hole, I installed this new one on the new street demon carb with the correct throttle/tv cable bracket for 700R4... the cable wire sticks out about an inch past the linkage... I don't know what to do? Put a spring and nut on the end to make up for the slack? the original cable is the exact same specs as the one I purchased. Anyone have this issue?

Seems like you need an aftermarket tv cable for your aftermarket setup. I think there may be variations for lengths of tv cables.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
That is not a stock bracket, so cable would need to be crimped in the correct spot to make up the difference

Termite_Delight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
1976 1975
Truck Model
K2500 K2500
Engine Size
350 L33
When I did my 700r4, I contacted Bowtie Overdrives. They sell everything for these. I got their cable geometry correction linkage for my Edelbrock and the TV cable. I also got the lockup kit so the converter locks up properly and doesn't go in and out of lockup. Give them a call. They are very knowledgable and helpful. GM overdrive transmissions is all they do. They helped me to get mine working fantastic.

https://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/
Phone: 760-947-5240

Yes, "cable geometry correction linkage"

I believe this is why the 700r4 trans has a bad reputation... when you remove the original carburetor (with the correct geometry) and replace it with something else, you will never get your cable adjusted correctly and your 700r4 may fail.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Change the last comment from “your 700 may fail” to “your 700 will fail!”

The tv cable has to be right for the transmission to have any chance of working, and work for a long time.

Get the correct kit. Ideally, you would want alone pressure gauge installed. Line pressure needs to be correct at idle, correct at WOT, and increase at the slightest touch of throttle. It needs to increase as throttle increases, and keep increasing until WOT.

OchoCinco

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for the feedback, I see what you guys are saying. I think I am going to put the old cable back in and take it to a transmish shop nearby and have a pro look at it. I do not want to spend more money on the transmission!

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
What did you do for the shifter? I have a 700-R4 in a 1982 with a tilt column that was supposed to have come from a Blazer with 700-R4 but no matter what I adjust with the linkage the shifter gate in the column will only align with one position. So I adjust it for Park to lock in and everything else relies on just the detent spring in the transmission.

When is some company going to make 4 speed conversion kits for the later squares columns, tilt and straight? They're made for the early columns, from before there was a 4 speed auto.

But LMC Truck and all the others act like there's an infinite supply of original columns with 4 speed shift gates. Other than 454 injection parts, 4 speed columns are the first things taken when these 1980's trucks go to the junkyards.

K5ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
What did you do for the shifter? I have a 700-R4 in a 1982 with a tilt column that was supposed to have come from a Blazer with 700-R4 but no matter what I adjust with the linkage the shifter gate in the column will only align with one position. So I adjust it for Park to lock in and everything else relies on just the detent spring in the transmission.

It kind of sounds like you may have a column for a manual trans. They would not have the stops for the different gear selections. I used my 1975 tilt column. It has the stops for the turbo 350. Everything lines up and works great except for not being able to put the selector into manual first gear. Currently, D is OD, 2 is 3, etc. I plan on installing a newer shift indicator to correctly identify OD and gear selection. I don't plan on needing manual selected first gear. The column rebuilding places can put in what you need. I see a shop that advertises on craigslist sometimes that does just that.

GTP51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado half ton Stepside
Engine Size
Is the lower part of the bracket with the TV cable bolted on? If it is unbolt it turn it around and you should be good to go

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
It kind of sounds like you may have a column for a manual trans. They would not have the stops for the different gear selections. I used my 1975 tilt column. It has the stops for the turbo 350. Everything lines up and works great except for not being able to put the selector into manual first gear. Currently, D is OD, 2 is 3, etc. I plan on installing a newer shift indicator to correctly identify OD and gear selection. I don't plan on needing manual selected first gear. The column rebuilding places can put in what you need. I see a shop that advertises on craigslist sometimes that does just that.

It's for an auto. Supposedly pulled from a 1987 Blazer with 700-R4. But it doesn't have the range of motion to go all the way down to 1st. I think the hole in the side of the tube where the lever comes out needs cut a bit to allow more motion. I got a new 4 speed indicator for the dash.

See post 10 here. There's the detent plate for the 3 speed non-tilt column. https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/steering-column.7444/

No company will make 4 speed detent plates for the newer columns. They do for the older columns with the indicator on the column.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL