700R4 Speedometer Drive Adapter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johns87

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have an 87' with a 700R4. I recently replaced it and connected the speedometer cable thru the 90 degree adapter. The speedometer had been disconnected a few years back and it didn't work. Long story short traced it down to the adapter. I'm guessing the gears inside are shot as it will spin only on side.

I connected the cable straight to the transmission and now the speedometer works, but with out the adapter it is off. The adapter shows a 1:0.90 ratio on it. So, I started trying to find one and seeming pretty hopeless. I've seen a couple on eBay but seems pretty expensive.

Are there any other options? Oh here's an image what one looks like.

You must be registered for see images attach

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
find the right gear for the tire size and gear ration you have. Install on the cable thing in the transmission.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I just sold one on eBay for $50 couple of weeks ago. But I think sometimes adapter got used when exact gear combo was not available. Maybe could find better matching spedo gears or change tire size

johns87

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'll give that a shot then, I appreciate it.

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't needed for some reason I couldn't figure out.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I think I have that exact adapter with the ratio your looking for. Let me know if you still need it and I’ll post a pic

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Well, crap. I do have that exact adapter. It’s obviously missing some teeth internally. When I turn one side of the adapter, there is a point in the other side where the rotation stops for about a 1/4 turn. Bummer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito