700r4 rebuild time, advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
was driving home from work yesterday and started hearing a nasty rattle. Looked under the car and saw that my trans had unbolted itself from the motor... I got really lucky on this one, see pic. I got some hardware, bolted it together, and started on my way, but after that it started slipping really bad and shifting very late and popping in and out of gear, and I’m pretty sure it’s not going into 4th anymore. I believe that when the trans backed out it disengaged the pump, and blew the trans in the 10 or so miles before I noticed. So I’m going to rip it out and do my first trans rebuild over the next couple weeks. Got quoted 200 for a kit, and the trans already has a transgo shift kit that I’ve been in love with. This trans will never see over 450 hp so I should be good to use a standard rebuild kit right? And it’s an 89 so it’s a good model. Also what do you guys think about my pump theory, does it make sence? Wish me luck, hopefully the trans will be out of the car by tonight and I can start assessing damage

You must be registered for see images attach

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have been where you are bad transmission DIY repair, you get what you pay for. How many times do you want to pull your transmission? I rebuilt one 30 yrs ago 1st time got lucky worked fine, I put mine on a creeper and removed all parts in order cleaned the case up after making a few tools to take it apart, and replaced with all the new parts. Of course you will probably want to replace the torque converter. Also check the case for cracks, and excessive wear. All that said how much would it cost to have it done at a shop and get a guarantee on top of that. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
I have been where you are bad transmission DIY repair, you get what you pay for. How many times do you want to pull your transmission? I rebuilt one 30 yrs ago 1st time got lucky worked fine, I put mine on a creeper and removed all parts in order cleaned the case up after making a few tools to take it apart, and replaced with all the new parts. Of course you will probably want to replace the torque converter. Also check the case for cracks, and excessive wear. All that said how much would it cost to have it done at a shop and get a guarantee on top of that. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck
I’ve gone the shop route before and doing it myself I’ll cut the cost in half, it’s a skill I’ve always wanted and I don’t have the money for a shop right now anyways so I’m just taking this as an opportunity, fingers crossed I have the same luck as you

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Obwonkonobe Damn lucky I'd say! better go by a lotto ticket. Glad you found it in time. When mine was done local to me, it cost $3400.00 for a full build up warrantied and all. Defiantly a steep price considering I bought the truck for $5000. After using this unit I've decided that when it goes again (not IF but when) I'll be spending less money and swapping over to a NV4500 unit. I'll be watching this thread though so be sure to post up your rebuild process :popcorn:

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hope you have a cool place to work I see you are in AZ my Son lives in Phoenix it’s a warm place to live as you know. I did a engine transmission transfer case swap outside yesterday and temp was close to 100 and humidity about 80% and by the way I’m 66 yrs old but still thinking like I’m 18. Take your time and you may want to check out the internet and learn form others mistakes.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Hope you have a cool place to work I see you are in AZ my Son lives in Phoenix it’s a warm place to live as you know. I did a engine transmission transfer case swap outside yesterday and temp was close to 100 and humidity about 80% and by the way I’m 66 yrs old but still thinking like I’m 18. Take your time and you may want to check out the internet and learn form others mistakes.
I’ll have the transmission on my right and my laptop on my left haha, my biggest concern is finding a good rebuild kit. Has anyone had good experience with a kit under 200 and can recommend a company?

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I’ll have the transmission on my right and my laptop on my left haha, my biggest concern is finding a good rebuild kit. Has anyone had good experience with a kit under 200 and can recommend a company?

I've heard good things and bad things about monster but here is their kit https://www.monstertransmission.com...BRiZKEtZruTAnOKoQuoaAnZIEALw_wcB#.XXpwjyhKiUk

Here is another from a company near me a bit more then $200 but you can tailor it to your needs and it comes with a rebuild book if you want it. https://www.oregonperformancetransm...TGGCrb0Pc1aPK0ZxGltnb-XA8EUgEn38aAhdgEALw_wcB

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
I've heard good things and bad things about monster but here is their kit https://www.monstertransmission.com...BRiZKEtZruTAnOKoQuoaAnZIEALw_wcB#.XXpwjyhKiUk

Here is another from a company near me a bit more then $200 but you can tailor it to your needs https://www.oregonperformancetransm...TGGCrb0Pc1aPK0ZxGltnb-XA8EUgEn38aAhdgEALw_wcB
I’ve heard the same about monster, I love their video series, but I’m not convinced on their product. And as far as the other one goes I think I’m going to hold off on a converter until the motor gets it’s final cam so I can match them, but I appreciate it!

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I think you’re on the right track. I’ve always had good luck with the cheapest parts I can find.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Got it pulled just now, the slot for the pump seems to be equal to the gap that was between the motor and trans, so I feel good saying that the pump disengaged, thankfully nothing seems shredded, just a little chewed up on the snout of the converter

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
@Obwonkonobe Damn lucky I'd say! better go by a lotto ticket. Glad you found it in time. When mine was done local to me, it cost $3400.00 for a full build up warrantied and all. Defiantly a steep price considering I bought the truck for $5000. After using this unit I've decided that when it goes again (not IF but when) I'll be spending less money and swapping over to a NV4500 unit. I'll be watching this thread though so be sure to post up your rebuild process :popcorn:

$3400? Whhhhaaaaattt? Seriously? Damn! Mine is in need of a rebuild and no way do I have the change to pay that kind of money nor am I capable of rebuilding it myself. Not trying to hijack thread but can you provide more information about the NV4500 swap? Are they reliable enough to trust getting one at the local boneyard? Hard to find? What vehicles use that tranny? Gotta figure out something cheaper than $3k and reliable. Thanks for any information. Again, sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, not my intent. (Can you use the stock transfer case with the NV4500?) Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

To Obwonkonobe, good luck. Thanks for posting this as it's a real eye opener for me and probably others as well. Gotta say I admire your taking on such a task without any trepidation!

Edited to add: Just looked up rebuild prices and saw Monster trannys for $1,499. Still too rich for my blood but better than $3400. Also, don't need NV4500 info as I just Googled it and realized it is a manual tranny which I can't use due to disability but thanks anyway.

Last edited:

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Call Teal Automotive, ask for Cheryl. 1(800) 722-0215.

Get a gasket and seal kit, wide 2-4 band, upgraded 3-4 clutch kit, Sonnax Smart Shell, and replace the input and low/reverse sprag. That will cover the weak links, then you will need to replace whatever else is worn out or broken.

I have built a few “monster in a box” transmissions, and done a few repairs to them. I’m not impressed, other than everything being delivered in one box, the parts are nothing special. In my opinion, their marketing has paid off for them! If you do a little research, you can buy exactly what you need without the fancy extras.

The biggest hassle with building a 700 is the seal protectors and seal sizing tools for the sealing rings. Unless you want to invest in the tools, I would suggesting taking the input housing to a trans shop for assembly. You can fabricate or “McGuyver” sealing ring sizing methods. There is also bushing replacement issues, if you have a camshaft bearing installation tool, that’s a easy substitution.

Watch some YouTube videos

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
She’s all done. Honestly way easier than I expected. Biggest thing: find a lip wizard and some thick plastic paper from hobby lobby, the thickest you can get for those seals

I did go and use some 4l60e pistons with molded seals, and I liked the quality of those way better than the other lip seals that came in the kit

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Looks good. Did you use a specific book of video to guide you through the build? I have a 88 tranny that needs a rebuild.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28