700r4 hose adapters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

radio2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
83 and 88
Truck Model
83 C10 and 88 R10 Burb
Engine Size
In the process of converting over to 6an braided stainless hose on my rebuilt 700. For the adapters, went with ICT Billet Transmission Adapter Fittings Kit -6 AN to 1/4 in. NPSM. Curious if anyone knows what these should be torqued to to avoid cracking the case. Any help would be appreciated.

Link to adapters
http://www.jegs.com/i/ICT-Billet/335/551114/10002/-1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
In the process of converting over to 6an braided stainless hose on my rebuilt 700. For the adapters, went with ICT Billet Transmission Adapter Fittings Kit -6 AN to 1/4 in. NPSM. Curious if anyone knows what these should be torqued to to avoid cracking the case. Any help would be appreciated.

Link to adapters
http://www.jegs.com/i/ICT-Billet/335/551114/10002/-1

Because the O.D. of the threads on an NPS fitting are cut straight (i.e. not tapered like NPT) it would be hard to crack the case when making the joints up.

While an NPT joint is sealed by the reduction in clearance - between the male and female components that develops as they are threaded together - over tightening is a valid concern.

But with an NPS joint, since sealing is accomplished by an o-ring or gasket (that is inserted between the shoulder of the fitting and a machined surface), as the pieces are threaded together, there is no outward force exerted on the I.D. of the female component. The only force involved is the compression that results as the shoulder of the fitting moves closer to the case. I suppose, if you really reefed down on the adapter, you could possibly strip the female threads of the casing.

But you probably already knew all that. Here are the torque specs for the adapter/case:

You must be registered for see images attach

and the tubing/adapter:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The factory fittings that went into the case also used a loc-tite/thread sealer of some type on the threads.

radio2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
83 and 88
Truck Model
83 C10 and 88 R10 Burb
Engine Size
Because the O.D. of the threads on an NPS fitting are cut straight (i.e. not tapered like NPT) it would be hard to crack the case when making the joints up.

While an NPT joint is sealed by the reduction in clearance - between the male and female components that develops as they are threaded together - over tightening is a valid concern.

But with an NPS joint, since sealing is accomplished by an o-ring or gasket (that is inserted between the shoulder of the fitting and a machined surface), as the pieces are threaded together, there is no outward force exerted on the I.D. of the female component. The only force involved is the compression that results as the shoulder of the fitting moves closer to the case. I suppose, if you really reefed down on the adapter, you could possibly strip the female threads of the casing.

But you probably already knew all that. Here are the torque specs for the adapter/case:

and the tubing/adapter:

I didn't know that. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the info

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey