700r4 cracking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan Sigvaldason

Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So my 700r4 tranny has cracked twice now. Once on the passenger side of the bell housing, which I got welded up due to lack of funds. Then shortly after the tail housing split off and dumped all the oil on the highway.

Pretty certain the tranny is pooched now but I looking for what's causing this. I had a vibration, I checked it out before and the tail broke off and seen my yoke on my rear diff was a little worn so I replaced it but the next day it happened. I'm trying to figure out why.

Best idea I have as to why is maybe my driveline angle is ******, this truck originally had a th400 with a two piece shaft and a 10 bolt rear but I have basically changed everything on it.

I built a 385 stroker motor for it putting about 450 horse out. As well I have put in a th350, and a 700r4 in it and changed the rear end to a posi 12 bolt.

What I am thinking maybe is that 12 bolt was out of a 4x4 and I have a 2wd so maybe the diff sits at a different angle or something of the sort.

If anyone has ideas as to why this is happening would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I can think of a few reasons your trans cracked: driveshaft out of balance, too long, etc. Have you checked the angles to make sure they are within range? You can correct with wedges. Is it a CV shaft? 2wd vs 4wd axle not going to be the problem.

Last edited:

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Are there suppose to be any braces between the engine and transfer case?

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Why did you go from a 2 piece shaft to 1 piece?

How did you determine the correct length? I have seen lots of housings break when the shaft is too long and the suspension compresses and the slip yoke bottoms out in the trans.

Is it a Long Bed and supposed to have a carrier bearing?

Was the shaft balanced?

I've seen some blocks that had the bellhousing mounting out of square to the crank centerline which didn't cause an issue with glides and 3 speed manuals and then when an overdrive is added the angles are greater due to the overall increase in length.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike