700r4 but stock motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
Hey All, whilst resto-modding my K10 I'm leaving the motor stock even with EGR. (Say all you want)
61K miles low for a Michigan truck... But I want to tow just a tad mostly my Farmall Cub and Garden tractor the cub only weights about 2800 3000 when loaded...

I just want it "Beefed" up abit what do I need to make it last Heavy Stall, Converter???
Thanks

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
That’s the factory transmission? Normally, I’d say that load’s perfectly fine, but ‘82 was the first year for those, and their reputation wasn’t the greatest in the trucks and didn’t improve till a few years later. I’d say do a Transgo shift correction kit, do an aftermarket trans cooler, and tow in D and not OD. That way the trans doesn’t have to be removed or disassembled, which it doesn’t sound like it’s doing anything wrong at this point. Inside the transmission, you could do a heavy duty sunshell and probably a few other things. Maybe someone else can chime in with the internal stuff. Are you just towing the tractor, or do you have implements that are going along for the ride?

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
That’s the factory transmission? Normally, I’d say that load’s perfectly fine, but ‘82 was the first year for those, and their reputation wasn’t the greatest in the trucks and didn’t improve till a few years later. I’d say do a Transgo shift correction kit, do an aftermarket trans cooler, and tow in D and not OD. That way the trans doesn’t have to be removed or disassembled, which it doesn’t sound like it’s doing anything wrong at this point. Inside the transmission, you could do a heavy duty sunshell and probably a few other things. Maybe someone else can chime in with the internal stuff. Are you just towing the tractor, or do you have implements that are going along for the ride?

Correct, Factory. When I got the truck in April of 2015 The guy's converted it to Gas after I found out about the 6.2L and what it got for Economy I changed back to it, They took out the 6.2 and put in an SBC 305.
The transmission should only have 52,000 ish on it And you are correct as well 1982 was the first year for it I think either it wasn't beefed-up enuff for the engine or just people tore this **** outta them and such got there bad Rep.

I'm not really wanting to do anything aftermarket on the truck (Stock guy) Trying to keep it 100% Original Like you said just do a heavy-duty sun shell and internals I wouldn't mind getting the trans rebuilt heavy duty.

The cub only has Woods C42-C3 Rotary mower on it In the Future, I do want to do Rear 1 bottom plow for it and cultivators for it.
You must be registered for see images attach

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The transmissions themselves were weak but gradually improved. By 1987, they were pretty solid but still kept getting better to the end. I would really do the cooler because transmission overheating is a major, if not the #1, cause of failure. I’ve seen some really dingleball cooler jobs, but I’ve seen some that look really tidy and well thought out. I would do the Transgo kit also. Mushy shifts even with a tight TV cable don’t equal longevity. The shift correction kit fixes that. There’s a complete installation video on YouTube that shows all that goes into the transmission. I did it, and I highly recommend. Personally, I don’t know if I’d tear into the transmission until it started to have issues. A cooler, better shifting, better fluid flowing transmission can only help how long it lasts.

We have a ‘59 Cub in several pieces in my chicken house. I wish it wasn’t in pieces, but I wasn’t the one who took it apart. If I had time, I’d start to fix it.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Cooler as mentioned and a gauge to monitor temp. 87 and up 700r4 swap with good internals and it should last for some time

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
The transmissions themselves were weak but gradually improved. By 1987, they were pretty solid but still kept getting better to the end. I would really do the cooler because transmission overheating is a major, if not the #1, cause of failure. I’ve seen some really dingleball cooler jobs, but I’ve seen some that look really tidy and well thought out. I would do the Transgo kit also. Mushy shifts even with a tight TV cable don’t equal longevity. The shift correction kit fixes that. There’s a complete installation video on YouTube that shows all that goes into the transmission. I did it, and I highly recommend. Personally, I don’t know if I’d tear into the transmission until it started to have issues. A cooler, better shifting, better fluid flowing transmission can only help how long it lasts.

We have a ‘59 Cub in several pieces in my chicken house. I wish it wasn’t in pieces, but I wasn’t the one who took it apart. If I had time, I’d start to fix it.
I believe in the Radiator core support I have a Factory Trans Cooler/Oil

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
Cooler as mentioned and a gauge to monitor temp. 87 and up 700r4 swap with good internals and it should last for some time
I'll think about that thanks!

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L

I found the website for the transgo **** kit? whats a recommended cooler?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
TCI has a highly regarded cooler, and it’s about fifty bucks on Jegs. Jegs also has a house brand cooler, and it has good reviews and about half the price. I’m sure there are plenty of options out there that would suit you fine.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
One other note on keeping 3-4th clutches alive is not to let it hunt for gears when under load(usually around 55-60mph depending on gearing). Just leave it in 3rd and monitor temp

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Jr shiftkit generally would be a good addition. It helps with the hang up of the TV valve, and firms up the shifts. Helps with the soft 3rd gear. Generally in a heavy vehicle with hard use 700r4 with most people does not last past 100k miles, but it all depends on use. Earlier transmissions had many early deaths especially behind diesels.

Biggest cooler that fits usually works, but in cooler climates might not be that neceasary. I have used the 70264 24K GVW cooler before on a severely overloaded jeep in a towing scenario, somehow the trans survived. It would spit the trans fluid towing empty trailer prior, but was able to keep it decent with the cooler with full work crew and additional 1k pounds of weight. They still had to drive 55mph and move everything in to the back of the trailer as the frame was sitting on the rear axle otherwise.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Jr shiftkit generally would be a good addition. It helps with the hang up of the TV valve, and firms up the shifts. Helps with the soft 3rd gear. Generally in a heavy vehicle with hard use 700r4 with most people does not last past 100k miles, but it all depends on use. Earlier transmissions had many early deaths especially behind diesels.

Biggest cooler that fits usually works, but in cooler climates might not be that neceasary. I have used the 70264 24K GVW cooler before on a severely overloaded jeep in a towing scenario, somehow the trans survived. It would spit the trans fluid towing empty trailer prior, but was able to keep it decent with the cooler with full work crew and additional 1k pounds of weight. They still had to drive 55mph and move everything in to the back of the trailer as the frame was sitting on the rear axle otherwise.

So you recommend the Junior kit over the full one?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
So you recommend the Junior kit over the full one?
full one would be ok as well, jr ones does not come with needed gaskets anyway. JR kit is usually enough to fix most problematic issues. Can get the better servo and medium sized boost valve(.472) as well.

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
My Gearing is 3:73 So yeah I usually cruise 55-60

Latest posts

Forum statistics