700r or 4l80e?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
1988 K5 Automatic with a crate 350 and recently swapped the gears in the 10 bolt to 4:56's to help the 35" tires down the road.

I was planning on having my transmission gone through and beefed up the best it can be but I am torn. Do I spend the money on going through this transmission or should I swap it for a 4l80e? I believe it will cost about half to go through my original trans than doing the swap. I am looking down the road though and just want a trans that will last and do what is should. This motor is fresh but someday I may do a 383 stroker or ls swap? I am completely ignorant to all of this as well. I solely rely on what I read in forums and talks with square body friends. I drive the truck as a daily sometimes just because I love driving it but I don't have to use her as a daily. I also do a decent amount of highway driving and very very lite 4x4ing. Mostly on the beach and I drive her easy. If I have my trans gone through now what should I have done to it? What would it cost to have the 4l80e done? and what should I have done to that trans if I go that way? Sorry for all the questions I hate making these decisions.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I think you are borderline on needing 4l80e. I have seen built 700r4 last for some time, but also seen plenty of them fail. 4l80e would be considered better, but might not be necessary for your uses. Built motor+big tires does swing it more towards 4l80e region.

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I think you are borderline on needing 4l80e. I have seen built 700r4 last for some time, but also seen plenty of them fail. 4l80e would be considered better, but might not be necessary for your uses. Built motor+big tires does swing it more towards 4l80e region.

yeah thanks, the motor is a stock crate motor but she has 4" of lift with 35's that's why I just put in 4:56's... It would fight to stay in OD and keep down shifting like crazy then back to OD. I didn't want to wipe out the trans. any idea of what it would cost for the 4l80? and what does most do to them when installed? shift kits and what not?

Wumbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You sure your TV cable is adjusted right? Because that will kill a 700r4.

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
You sure your TV cable is adjusted right? Because that will kill a 700r4.

nope.. i have no idea but I will have it looked at now... I can say this, since the gear swap the trans feels much more happy

Wumbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Downshifting from OD concerns me.

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Downshifting from OD concerns me.

Since the gear swap no more coming in and out of OD... I wanted to get the gears out of the way before i decided on a trans. I understand the 4l80e has a stand alone computer as well. I am leaning this route vs beefing up the 700r4. Just don’t want to waste money if it’s not necessary.

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Not that great on monster transmission. performabuilt transmissions have been active on performance forums with good feedback. Also, had personal experience with bowtieoverdrives 700r4 behind a built 400 with a 200 shot, but not a daily driver.

Sounds like with the gearing being fixed, a good 700r4 build should last good amount of time for you. 4l80e also gets in to needing different transfer case or adapter and shaft change. Possible driveshaft changes as well.

edit: all vendors appear to have some problems cases, monster just appears to have more negatives and worse attitude compared to others.

Last edited:

Wumbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
There are a few other things involved besides the trans controller. Speedometer output is electronic, not cable driven, so that has to be addressed. I think that the flex plate is different, because of different bolt pattern on torque convertor. Output shaft probably doesnt match up with your transfer case. Probably have to change cross member, and driveshaft lengths. May or may not require a throttle position sensor, depending on trans controller.

Keep in mind, I haven't done a 4l80e swap. I know it can be done, but I dont know how cost effective it is vs having a 700r4 built to be as strong as the 4l80e.

The lower performance Monster in a box rebuild kit is rated for 500 hp & 450 lb/ft torque, and costs $599.00.

Wumbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Not that great on monster transmission. performabuilt transmissions have been active on performance forums with good feedback. Also, had personal experience with bowtieoverdrives 700r4 behind a built 400 with a 200 shot, but not a daily driver

I haven't used their stuff before. Last trans I built was for my Dodge, and I used PATC parts.

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Thanks for the info... After reading up more on it I think beefing up the 700r4 is the way to go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara