6.2l K5 Hunter Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sirweesarunch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

When they tell you ,”That aint no Detroit Diesel ,” show em this !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
The 84 k10 i once owned has a 6.2 under the hood.... while im not a diesel man, neither do claim to be an expert on them, that thing had some pretty beefy torque to it for what it was.

Honestly, i'd like to find another just to hear it run lol

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
It’s insane how military use literally single handedly carried that... and really funny how the military accepted that... but humvees are radically misused anyway so why not?

It works well for the military use case, because they are almost never running over 45mph. Its got enough umph to pull small trailers and can still do basic highway stuff, but its primarily used for off highway and trail type use. It's not a great engine and the HMMWV isn't a great vehicle, but they do OK. The newer Up-Armored HMMWV's that got the Turbo 6.5/4L80E combo do MUCH better and didn't seem to have any less longevity/durability. You could easily rock them at 65mph on the highway and that was in a 15,000lb vehicle. The real diesel engines combined with the Allison 6 speeds in the mine resistant vehicles put the HMMWV to shame in every respect though. I worked as a Field service rep on the MATV for a few months in Afghanistan and they are an absolute beast. Of course an engine/trans combo in one of those things was about $50k, but it would pull down 20mpg and pull a 21,000lb vehicle at 65mph like it was nothing. 18" of 4 wheel independent suspension travel, automatic locking diffs and independent tire pressure control to each tire.

You could accelerate from a dead stop through 45mph up a 60% slope. They had new crews go up a 60% slope in driver training so that they could get a feel for it, since most were transitioning from the HMMWV that didn't have enough power to even go up a 45% slope. It would start going up something like that and just bog down unless you popped it into 4Lo. Heres a video of what that 60% looks like, its a student driver which is why its sounds like it's struggling but really the driver is just spooked and barely giving it any throttle since it feels like you are just pointed up at the sky.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
It works well for the military use case, because they are almost never running over 45mph. Its got enough umph to pull small trailers and can still do basic highway stuff, but its primarily used for off highway and trail type use. It's not a great engine and the HMMWV isn't a great vehicle, but they do OK. The newer Up-Armored HMMWV's that got the Turbo 6.5/4L80E combo do MUCH better and didn't seem to have any less longevity/durability. You could easily rock them at 65mph on the highway and that was in a 15,000lb vehicle. The real diesel engines combined with the Allison 6 speeds in the mine resistant vehicles put the HMMWV to shame in every respect though. I worked as a Field service rep on the MATV for a few months in Afghanistan and they are an absolute beast. Of course an engine/trans combo in one of those things was about $50k, but it would pull down 20mpg and pull a 21,000lb vehicle at 65mph like it was nothing. 18" of 4 wheel independent suspension travel, automatic locking diffs and independent tire pressure control to each tire.

You could accelerate from a dead stop through 45mph up a 60% slope. They had new crews go up a 60% slope in driver training so that they could get a feel for it, since most were transitioning from the HMMWV that didn't have enough power to even go up a 45% slope. It would start going up something like that and just bog down unless you popped it into 4Lo. Heres a video of what that 60% looks like, its a student driver which is why its sounds like it's struggling but really the driver is just spooked and barely giving it any throttle since it feels like you are just pointed up at the sky.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

America

a little better representation than malaise of the humvee. If the right engine was in it from the start and not a 3 speed originally, and was used for its intention(rear echelon) it would have been good, not great, but would have had a long service life that was good. The hummer of it was made less **** would have been cheesy but like, okay.

NCBurb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
6.2L
Hey if you do part it out, I'd be interested in those diesel gauges for my Burb...

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yep, welcome to the forum from Louisiana Mr. Wallace.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54