6.2l diesel TH400 shifting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85 CUCV

Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV M1009
Engine Size
6.2 l diesel
85 CUCV M1009 (K5) 6.2l diesel, Th400/208 3.08 gear, 33" tires, dual exhaust 2-1/2" Flowmaster, 57,500 miles on engine and transmission both Original units.
Two days ago while doing some maintainance I Found and replaced the vacuum lines from the mechanical Vacuum pump to the VRV (on the IP) and from VRV to transmission modulator vlv. (All this engine has)
Prior to this the shifts had been rather soft and 1-2 was early. 2-3 also soft.
After replacing the hoses the shifts became much firmer and 1-2 is now at about 23 mph after a VRV adjustment. 2-3 shift however is still very high coming around 50 mph.
If I lift above 45 it may shift up but is sloppy doing so and slow to shift.
Fluids are in fair condition and level is right on full. vacuum from the pump and to the modulator has been verified in spec
2. Second, It seems like it may have a converter issue as well. Not an automatic guy (this is my 2nd one) but it seems like the rpm has to climb quite a bit before the transmission starts to move the vehicle and at times off road in Hi range crawling it just won't pull the rig up onto a rock even with a full throttle. Acts like a slipping clutch with no stink. Engine power is fine.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me

Last edited:

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
What does the fluid look like? First thing you need to do is make sure you have a good strong vacuum signal to the vacuum modulator. If it shifted soft and early, and hard and late after fixing some vacuum hoses, your “fix” caused another issue. I have no idea what a 6.2 Diesel engine uses for engine vacuum, but late hard shifts is a textbook example of no vacuum to the modulator.

85 CUCV

Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV M1009
Engine Size
6.2 l diesel
My 6.2 uses an engine driven vac pump (located where the distributor in a gasser would be). In my case it serves only to provide vacuum to the modulator via a vac control valve (VCV) mounted on and controlled by the fuel injection pump (IP).
I have verified and adjusted that to speck. Shifting has returned to normal. Still not pulling like I think it should.
That is where I get notso smart about how to troubleshoot it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400