6.2 tune up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Hey guys and gals I have a few questions to ask. My son's 1985 M1009 is getting a replacement radiator this weekend. We also want to do a tune up on it. Just basic I want to change ALL the filters and we have to put new oil cooler and trans cooler lines in the truck also. I got the box style fuel filter and the aluminum oil cooler lines already. With having the old radiator out is there anything I should do while I have the room? The truck is in pretty bad shape as far as rust is concerned. Diesel engines are a new world for me so any input would be appropriated thanks. Also should we stay away from fuel additives? Just asking because it's an all original truck nothing has been restored.

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I will post some more in depth pics tomorrow if it's not raining.

You must be registered for see images attach

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Perfect chance to clean out the overflow tank. I'll try to think up something else - later.

I wouldn't balk at an oil based additive , but there was something about that I can't put my finger on right now, but i'm hungry. :(

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
We cleaned the overflow it was pretty disgusting in that thing. Go eat.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Be careful in how you handle the overflow. The ones on the mil spec trucks are known to start leaking at the molding seam after time. The one on my truck did it, as did the used replacement I picked up for it. It might be worth your time to fill it with water, and let it sit (propped upright) in the sink overnight.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
You should definitely be using an additive. Without writing a novel, Diesel fuel quality in America today is lousy and even though a military truck should have Arctic fuel components to deal with low viscosity fuels a quality addidtive will still help prolong the life of your fuel system. Plus a cetane boost will reduce smoke and improve mileage. Last, a winter formula will help prevent fuel gelling from stopping you somewhere in the cold.

Stanadyne, who made the injection pump in your son's truck makes a good additive, so does Alliant Power. There are others that are good as well, but those are the two that I am familiar with. I use either of them in my truck, my car and my boat. On the car I was able to document enough of a mileage improvement to pay for the cost of the addidtive.

And look at that, I wrote a novel anyway. :rolleyes:

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have a 2000 K3500 with the 6.5 and I like that truck a LOT.
I use the Stanadyne performance formula fuel additive. Also, since the fuel of these days is so low in sulpher, I add an ounce of Walmart brand TC-W3 two stroke oil for every two gallons of fuel that it might take to fill the tank, if I estimate it to take about 18 gallons of fuel, I`ll dump in about nine ounces of two stroke oil before filling the tank.
I buy the two stroke oil on line, if I get three gallons at a time, they deliver it right to My door with free shipping. Walyworld here does not carry this oil in gallon jugs.
I told My nephew about adding the two stroke to the fuel, He started doing that to His 96 Dodge and He said it almost immediately improved the fuel mileage. Said the truck seems to run smoother too.
If You do a tuneup on this truck, check with a reputable diesel shop and see if they can test and balance the injectors. They should be able to do a pop test and at the same time check the spray pattern and the leak down too. I would replace only the injectors that dont pass the test. If You have to replace an injector, be sure to get it balanced to the same specs as what the other injectors are set at.

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I have a 2000 K3500 with the 6.5 and I like that truck a LOT.
I use the Stanadyne performance formula fuel additive. Also, since the fuel of these days is so low in sulpher, I add an ounce of Walmart brand TC-W3 two stroke oil for every two gallons of fuel that it might take to fill the tank, if I estimate it to take about 18 gallons of fuel, I`ll dump in about nine ounces of two stroke oil before filling the tank.
I buy the two stroke oil on line, if I get three gallons at a time, they deliver it right to My door with free shipping. Walyworld here does not carry this oil in gallon jugs.
I told My nephew about adding the two stroke to the fuel, He started doing that to His 96 Dodge and He said it almost immediately improved the fuel mileage. Said the truck seems to run smoother too.
If You do a tuneup on this truck, check with a reputable diesel shop and see if they can test and balance the injectors. They should be able to do a pop test and at the same time check the spray pattern and the leak down too. I would replace only the injectors that dont pass the test. If You have to replace an injector, be sure to get it balanced to the same specs as what the other injectors are set at.
Thanks for information we're starting the radiator today waiting on the cooler lines.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Some good points from Mr. Marty, and I'd like to add a few things.

Sulfur is not a good thing in any fuel. It causes acid formation during the combustion process which ends up in the air causing acid rain (Gawd, I can't believe I just said that. Where's my bunny?) but more importantly in the engine, particularly the oil which tends to etch bearings. But the problem with fuel today is not the lack of sulfur but the result of the processes used to remove sulfur. Hydrotreating also removes the aromatics, cetane and any kind of lubricity that #2 oil has to offer.

I'm not going to get in to the details of ATF or two stroke oil. There's pros and cons of those and, unfortunately, a lot of rumors and snake oil on the market as well. For our trucks issues of sulfur only pertain to the engine and not emissions equipment, but please do your homework if you are going to experiment.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size