6.2 Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
All:

Newbie here. I'm just getting started on doing some work on my 89 crew cab 454 Silverado. I've been looking for a parts rig, and just ran across another guy in town, who's got a GMC 1 Ton crew cab diesel.

My intention had been to find a rig for body parts, and do some work on my 454 to freshen it up a bit.

I don't know anything about the 6.2's. If it runs, and my current engine proves to need more love than I think, should I consider putting the 6.2 in it? Seems like I mostly see people doing the cummins swap thing.

A machinist friend tells me that he can get my 454 tbi up into the 300+ HP range, by upping the compression new heads. What can I do with a 6.2, comparably?

Part of my calculation here, is what I should offer the guy for the truck, if all I'm gonna use it for is body parts, versus, what kind of value I should place on the engine. I've also been thinking of putting a 4 speed transmission in mine, so I'd have an overdrive gear. I don't know what trans is in the diesel, but are the tramsmissions interchangeable, from the diesels to the gas motors?

General thoughts?

Aaron

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
4-speed truck transmission does not have overdrive. I would never consider swapping anything for a 6.2. You can definitely make good truck power with a TBI 454. You can easily be in the 300hp+ and 500lb-ft or torque with minimal work. You would blow a 6.2 into tiny pieces anywhere near that power output, if you could even manage to get there. It's a big truck, torque will be king.

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
Yeah, I was getting the impression that the 6.2's aren't a real big draw. If the price is right, I'll buy the part rig, motor or no motor. I just thought I'd see what I can do, if I end up with a running 6.2 that I probably won't have any real use for. Since they apparently get pretty good mileage, I wonder if I could build a generator out of it...

Aaron

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2's are good at being stinky and smoky.

dsteelejr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1973, 1980
Truck Model
Cheyenne super C20 camper special, Sierra K25
Engine Size
350, 454
All:

Newbie here. I'm just getting started on doing some work on my 89 crew cab 454 Silverado. I've been looking for a parts rig, and just ran across another guy in town, who's got a GMC 1 Ton crew cab diesel.

My intention had been to find a rig for body parts, and do some work on my 454 to freshen it up a bit.

I don't know anything about the 6.2's. If it runs, and my current engine proves to need more love than I think, should I consider putting the 6.2 in it? Seems like I mostly see people doing the cummins swap thing.

A machinist friend tells me that he can get my 454 tbi up into the 300+ HP range, by upping the compression new heads. What can I do with a 6.2, comparably?

Part of my calculation here, is what I should offer the guy for the truck, if all I'm gonna use it for is body parts, versus, what kind of value I should place on the engine. I've also been thinking of putting a 4 speed transmission in mine, so I'd have an overdrive gear. I don't know what trans is in the diesel, but are the tramsmissions interchangeable, from the diesels to the gas motors?

General thoughts?

Aaron

6.2L diesels are naturally aspirated, no turbo. They have very good fuel economy (20 - 24 mpg), but they are slow and stinky. Some time ago, comparing numbers, I read that a stock 350 makes more hp and torque than a 6.2L diesel. They are NOT like the Cummins or Power Strokes that make a lot of torque. Stay away from the 6.2L.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84