6.2 L Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gilmore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
Folks,
I could use some help I'm swapping my 6.2 L diesel motor with approx 48k miles over to a new gas motor. I just pulled the motor yesterday and I have it ready to sell. The only hang-up is that the ear is broken of the block to mount the starter. I know from past conversations here it can be fixed by welding and pinning but I don't poses those skills.

The motor has the flywheel and all of the accessories on the motor. What should I sell it for? I see on Ebay a block alone goes for about a grand. I would require it to be picked up or for the buyer to arrange delivery. Thoughts?

I will also have a hydromatic brake system shortly as well as I plan to convert to a standard brake booster and master cylinder.

You must be registered for see images attach

1985c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Honestly 6.2’s aren’t super desirable and yours needing the starter mount work I think it’s probably only worth core value. Might even get more for it parting it out (heads, injection pump, etc). And you may want to rethink going to a vacuum booster. The hydraulic booster is a superior setup of braking power.

Gilmore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
Honestly 6.2’s aren’t super desirable and yours needing the starter mount work I think it’s probably only worth core value. Might even get more for it parting it out (heads, injection pump, etc). And you may want to rethink going to a vacuum booster. The hydraulic booster is a superior setup of braking power.

Yes but moving from the Diesel engine to the new gas engine with a serpentine belt I have not been able to find a hydromatic compatible power steering pump for a reasonable price. If you can direct me otherwise I'm happy to see any suggestions.

1985c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
What serpentine belt setup are you going with? If it uses the standard Saginaw/“canned ham” style pump then it will work with your booster. Even if it doesn’t have dual returns you can just tee them together. That’s what we did with my buddy’s k10 when we took the 6.2 out and swapped in the 350

Gilmore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
Great question here is the engine I'm installing.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
you should be able to put the serpentine belt pulley on the old pump... they are all the same shaft

Gilmore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
you should be able to put the serpentine belt pulley on the old pump... they are all the same shaft
to do this it looks like I would have to fabricate a new bracket due to the shape of the pump. What do you think of the idea above about combining the inputs?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
to do this it looks like I would have to fabricate a new bracket due to the shape of the pump. What do you think of the idea above about combining the inputs?

I'm confused... my 1980 K25 factory 350 power steering pump looks exactly like the 1997 K2500 454 hydroboost pump. The only difference appears to be the pulley that is pressed on the pump shaft. They are even installed in the same general location.... why can't you just use a factory hydroboost pump with the serpentine pulley?

Gilmore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
I'm confused... my 1980 K25 factory 350 power steering pump looks exactly like the 1997 K2500 454 hydroboost pump. The only difference appears to be the pulley that is pressed on the pump shaft. They are even installed in the same general location.... why can't you just use a factory hydroboost pump with the serpentine pulley?

I'll have to go back out and take another look but the orientation appeared to be different.

mshawn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Micah
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10,jimmy,k10
Engine Size
Where do you live I might be interested in the 6.2l with broken starter ear on it

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I personally like the 6.2 and I've seen a homebuilt bracket on a 6.2 that held the starter at bay.

Gilmore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
I sold it a few months back on Ebay for $800.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54