6.2 diesel hp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan01

Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hey so I know this isn't completely related to square body's but the engine is right.
I have a 1951 Chevy sedan that I want to eat rod and chose a 6.2L diesel engine as my weapon of choice so I'm wondering how high I can get the HP before blowing the thing up and what I would have to do to achieve high numbers.
Thanks

Sent from my LM-Q910 using Tapatalk
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You wont achieve high numbers from a 6.2, its just not in the web design of the blocks main bearing areas and the cranking shafts to be able to do that. There is a lot of things You can do to achieve a higher number of horses though, like, a block web girdle to help hold things together and then a whole world of uprated components to achieve them horses.
This is going to be a very interesting build and I will be watching.

Last edited:

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I sure miss our resident “expert” on all things 6.2. We could have heard about 6.5 head swaps and turbos that would bump it up to about 185hp and 275 lb ft of torque.

fmxr47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Girdle, headstuds, turbo setup from a 6.5 minus the turbo itself unless you’re fine with stock like power of the 6.5 turn up your fuel on the mechanical pump. Intercooler will help also.without head studs stay at 15psi or less.

Edit: And you’d be lucky to achieve 200hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I would describe the 6.2's power output as "not much". Or maybe "adequate at best".

Agreed. The 6.2 wasn't really an awesome engine in any regard. I mean I guess if you just happen to have one laying around go ahead and use it, but I can think of a bunch of engines that would be better to use for an engine swap. Seems kind of like a waste to go through the time/effort/hassle of swapping a very different engine into that car just to have a 6.2 diesel. If you really want to go diesel, even then there are still plenty of better choices. As much as I love GM, I'd probably be looking for a Cummins if I really had my heart set on an oil burner

Logan01

Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Agreed. The 6.2 wasn't really an awesome engine in any regard. I mean I guess if you just happen to have one laying around go ahead and use it, but I can think of a bunch of engines that would be better to use for an engine swap. Seems kind of like a waste to go through the time/effort/hassle of swapping a very different engine into that car just to have a 6.2 diesel. If you really want to go diesel, even then there are still plenty of better choices. As much as I love GM, I'd probably be looking for a Cummins if I really had my heart set on an oil burner
I agree a 12 valve Cummins was my first choice but my friend offered me the 6.2 for $200 Canadian. Price point is the only reason I chose the 6.2 because it means I can have it done this year instead of in the next 5 year's.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Turbocharging will get you to around 200 HP. You might squeeze out a few more with an intercooler. When I get to work on Monday I can look up the spec for the Marine engines. I think they were getting 250 out of them. But I wouldn't expect the bottom end to last long. If you really want to pour some money into it you can look into the version that Navistar is building for the military. It has a bedplate for the mains. That will stop the bulkheads from falling out of it, but they're big $$$.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Peninsular Marine made a 270 HP turbocharged, aftercooled 6.2L. No idea how well they held up, if at all, but remember marine applications usually have much better cooling available. They also claimed significant internal modifications like a forged crank and lower compression.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I agree a 12 valve Cummins was my first choice but my friend offered me the 6.2 for $200 Canadian. Price point is the only reason I chose the 6.2 because it means I can have it done this year instead of in the next 5 year's.

The Cummins would take a LOT of chopping and hacking to get enough room for that tall long block.
Not so much with the 6.2.

fmxr47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The Cummins would take a LOT of chopping and hacking to get enough room for that tall long block.
Not so much with the 6.2.
4bt would fit better for sure. Can get amazing fuel mileage and decent HP still be around the HP of a 6.5 or better if you play with it. But I’m all for dropping a 6.2 or 6.5 In that thing.

Logan01

Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
4bt would fit better for sure. Can get amazing fuel mileage and decent HP still be around the HP of a 6.5 or better if you play with it. But I’m all for dropping a 6.2 or 6.5 In that thing.

Ya for now I'm just going to drop the 6.2 in and see what happens maybe I will daily it, it will get much better milage then my k10.

Logan01

Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
With school being out I've finally had the time to pull the engine out of the barn and into the garage. The guy I bought it off of left the wiring harness and everything on the engine because he didn't know what a diesel needs to run and neither do I really. I heard that these engines burn glow plugs like crazy and someone mentioned wiring them to a switch on the dash is it that easy just wire to a switch turn it on for 30 sec start engine turn it off?

Last edited:

ABINIDI

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30 3+3
Engine Size
6.2L diesel Banks Turbo
As an owner of a 6.2, they aren't ever going to win any races, and aren't high in HP. As stated above, you would want to stud the heads, as this is a known weakness on them when you boost them or run them hard, head gaskets blow,... and turn up the fuel on the injector pump the 1/4 turn. Intercooler = Slight amount of HP, not sure if all the work to plumb it and fab one up justifies it on the 6.2... up to you.
I've 'maxed' mine out in HP as much as i feel safe doing, and i run the most around 8-9 lbs of boost when I get hard on it. i don't feel comfortable running any more.

I have the Banks turbo on mine, and it helps quite a bit to add some HP. But again, other than maybe the cool factor of having a diesel in a ratrod that you can blow coal, you will find more power cheaper in a gas motor..
Plus the diesel are heavy too like a BB...

ABINIDI

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30 3+3
Engine Size
6.2L diesel Banks Turbo
As an owner of a 6.2, they aren't ever going to win any races, and aren't high in HP. As stated above, you would want to stud the heads, as this is a known weakness on them when you boost them or run them hard, head gaskets blow,... and turn up the fuel on the injector pump the 1/4 turn. Intercooler = Slight amount of HP, not sure if all the work to plumb it and fab one up justifies it on the 6.2... up to you.
I've 'maxed' mine out in HP as much as i feel safe doing, and i run the most around 8-9 lbs of boost when I get hard on it. i don't feel comfortable running any more.

I have the Banks turbo on mine, and it helps quite a bit to add some HP. But again, other than maybe the cool factor of having a diesel in a ratrod that you can blow coal, you will find more power cheaper in a gas motor..
Plus the diesel are heavy too like a BB...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes