5.3 swap - total newbie!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I've got a chance to get a 2017 Chevy 5.3 motor complete and 6 speed trans with 43k (has he fuel control module and pump assembly) on them for a good price. Or what I think is a good price - $1800.
I've never done a swap like this, just same for same. I've got the ability just not the knowledge of putting something so new into something from 1985. I've done some searching but haven't really found anything that gives a step by step of what is needed to pull it off.
If I have the above what else would be needed to get this to work?

Thanks in advance!!

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
Lot's of Blood, Sweat, and Tears, plus the ability to create new and colorful curse words that would make a sailor blush! Good Luck!:cheers:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
That is a good price. Make sure you get the wiring harness (engine and transmission....prolly all part of one harness but I'm not sure about the 2017), pcm, fusebox, cooling fan fuse box, throttle pedal and TAC module along with the wiring harness for it. Also get the front O2 sensors if possible. Hell just get as much as you think you can get. Take the radiator and cooling fans if you can get them.

Find out if it comes with everything I listed above. if it doesn't find out what is missing and how much it's going to cost to get that. Not knowing your budget or availability of funds makes it tough.

Good source for the wiring harness info:

http://lt1swap.com/wiringharness.htm

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

Smindustries

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
0.0L
I'm going through a similar swap at the moment, albeit with a 4L60E. This is my first swap on anything, and I suppose the important questions are:
  • How much time are you willing to spend?
  • How much money are you willing to spend?
  • How much brain damage are you willing to sustain?
I don't have the time to spend, so I went the easy way and bought everything to not only do the swap, but to replace the suspension, steering, and braking systems.

You're going to need engine mounts and transmission mounts. I recommend Dirty Dingo because they're adjustable and give you inches of fore-aft adjustment. If the 6L80 won't fit into the transmission tunnel, you'll have to do some sheet metal work if you don't have adjustable mounts. With adjustable mounts, you can move the engine/trans assembly forward and cross your fingers that it'll fit.

I also can't afford any more brain damage, so I bought a harness for my exact combination. My harness was made by Howell. I called them and told them what engine and transmission I have, what it's going in, my gear ratios and tire sizes, then I sent them the factory ECU. About two weeks later I got an ECU and a harness for my combination with every connector labeled. The hardest part about wiring the drivetrain was fishing the harness through a factory hole in the firewall and figuring out a place for the ECU.

As others have mentioned, you'll need an EFI fuel tank. I bought the entire setup from Tanks, Inc. There's a woman named Georgia who works there. She sounds like my grandmother, but knows pretty much everything about EFI conversions. I got a gorgeous clear powdercoated tank with fuel pump and sending unit for not much more than piecing the stuff together myself.

I have an early 5.3 and the fuel pressure regulator is built into the fuel rail. Yours doesn't have that, so you'll have to get a regulator. Kits with AN fittings and fancy braided hose are obnoxiously expensive. You can get a Corvette regulator that will work.

Now that the fuel system and electronics are mostly done, you need to figure out how you're going to get all that information to you. You can get a module for a few hundred dollars that will convert some electronic data to analog to feed your cluster. I looked into it, and once I got to more than half the price of a new cluster, I stopped counting and bought a Dakota Digital system. It's complete and easy. The unit will read data from the CAN via OBD. Howell put a second OBD port into the new harness so I can use one for diagnostics and not have to unplug my dash.

In short, you can spend a lot of time and get it done cheaply or you can do it quickly and turn an $1,800 drivetrain into a cash bonfire.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Thanks for the info!
Since this is currently for my daughter, who just turned 14, I have a little time to get it done.
Of course the money is always a concern but since I currently do not have an engine and I'm not sure how good the trans is I'm going to be spending some cash in that department - obviously not as much but it could be depending on how we build the replacements.
Brain damage... That one is a tough one. I figure either way I go I'll be beating my head against the wall so I'll end up with some no matter what.
I know I don't want to pay someone to do all of this for me because then it WILL cost a fortune. I do want my daughter to help so she can say she did it. And of course bonding time - I only have one kiddo so I gotta make this count!

The harness for the trans and engine are there so I am going to guess they are all in one. I will have to check on pcm, fusebox, cooling fan fuse box, throttle pedal and TAC module along with the wiring harness for it. Also get the front O2 sensors if possible...
I do have to ask, what is the TAC module?

One last question for this post... Anybody know why I'm not getting emails for replies here? I'm watching the thread and pretty sure I have my settings for watched thread to email me.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Throttle Actuator Control. It's a box that is between the PCM and the gas pedal. Both the PCM and throttle pedal plug into it.....think of it as an interface between the two.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
2017 is going to be a type LT, not LS, so it's a bit more complicated. You'll need provisions for LS type accessory drive is the main hurdle. The fuel system is quite a bit more complicated as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat