4x4 Shifter pops out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

O-Dub

Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have a 78 Chevy k20 with Warren hubs, I can lock the hubs and get inside the truck and put it in hi / low no problem. It is in 4WD but as soon as I drive it pops out, unless I hold it in place. No grinding or noise it just pops out. Thanks for help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Oh-Dub!
Thanks for joining and welcome Oliver.
You have a transfer case that needs rebuilding. That's an easy job. Well... it's easier than removing the actual gear box.

Do you know which transfer case you're equiped with? Have you been under the truck to look at your linkages?

O-Dub

Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Oh-Dub!
You have a transfer case that needs rebuilding. That's an easy job. Well... it's easier than removing the actual gear box.

Do you know which transfer case you're equiped with? Have you been under the truck to look at your linkages?

I can look but is the factory one, all 78 parts. I am handy with my tools so I should rebuild it or have it done. Easy project you say?

O-Dub

Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Oh-Dub!

It is a 208C 1982 (someone replaced the stock one)

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had a 205 transfer case that would always pop out under a load, usually trying to get loaded hoppers rolling. I didn't rebuild it, just bolted in another. I had a 208 in another Chevy that committed suicide when the chain broke just driving down the road in two wheel drive.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Start with pulling your front driveshaft. See what happens.. It's going to need to come off anyway.

Low range is everything normal?

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Oh-Dub!

Wait a second,... You're selling this guy a rebuild and you don't even know which transfer case he has?

Do you work for a transmission shop?

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Wait a second,... You're selling this guy a rebuild and you don't even know which transfer case he has?

Do you work for a transmission shop?

They all cost about the same anyway. Oh btw, I found you a bridge...

O-Dub

Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Start with pulling your front driveshaft. See what happens.. It's going to need to come off anyway.

Low range is everything normal?

I will try low and see, thx!

steveopk

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had is same problem after replacing my body bushings and adding a 1” body lift, my problem was just the transfer case shifter linkage was out of adjustment after moving my body around on my frame, might be worth checking out before rebuilding/replacing transfer case...

O-Dub

Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had is same problem after replacing my body bushings and adding a 1” body lift, my problem was just the transfer case shifter linkage was out of adjustment after moving my body around on my frame, might be worth checking out before rebuilding/replacing transfer case...

Thank you, I can hold it in 4W high but it pops out right away (no grinding) BUT I can get it into Low at all, it just won’t go either standing still it moving slow

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
FWIW in most cases you can find an old used unit for next to nothing. You just basically have to know what you have to know what to put back into it. If you have a half ton unit then you will want to replace it with a half ton unit. If an NP208 with a 27 spline input shaft then you can usually find one of those at most salvage yards for around 75 to 150 bucks and if you are handy under the truck you can change it out in a few hours. Just make sure and change the fluid to start with and then you can just swap it and go...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128