4wd not engaging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

storm

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have just purchased an 87 2500 that the previous owner lifted 4". When I shift into 4wd the light comes on but I can only get the right rear wheel to spin. The hubs lock in easily. I get no odd noises, nor do I get any feeling of going into gear when I shift from 2H in to 4H or 4L. Any advise is appreciated.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Well, lets start with the basics and work inward. Is the font drive shaft installed? It's not unheard of for someone to lift a truck, realize that the front shaft is now too short, and never get around to correcting it. Next, check your shift linkage. If they dropped the rear of the driveline a touch to ease the angle of the u-joints, then it may not be getting full throw into 4wd, and need to be adjusted. Another quick check to see if you're locked in, would be to put it in 4x, and turn the steering wheel to full lock. if it's in 4x, it should cause the wheel to want to saw back and forth when you try to drive in a tight circle at full lock. I would try this on a dirt lot, or off pavement, as it'll be easier on the components.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
One other thing to check is if your hubs are engaging properly. Sometimes they have a habit of freezing up after sitting for a while, especially if they have not been taken apart, cleaned, and regreased (like during a wheel bearing checkup). You can jack up one side at a time and spin the wheel and see if it is turning the axle stub through the opening in the knuckle to check.

storm

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks everyone, I am getting into this today and will let you know how it turns out!

storm

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
A little more investigation showed that I had 4wd in reverse but not forward gears. I took apart and then replaced both hubs, and now the girl is a beast. Thanks everyone for the advise, I am sure I will be back for more of it!

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Hubs are so overlooked. Everyone forgets about them and usually when you find out they are not working is when you are already stuck and stuff is in the water up to your elbow or armpit and its bone chilling cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28