Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Twodogbiteme

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hi Everyone,

I have an 85 350/TH400. Swapping to a 4L80 for the OD. Not a 4L80E, its a hydramatic 4L80. Does this use a TV cable like the 700R4 or cable like the TH350/TH400? Thanks in advance.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The 4L80 is fully electronic, no TV cable or mechanical speedometer provisions

Twodogbiteme

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
After further research, I found out the trans that I found has been modified with a manual valve body :( . I might still purchase though bc the price is right, and I can rebuild it and get the stand alone controller for it. Otherwise, I'll just locate a 700R4. Which is the better option is now the question at hand.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
If it has a manual valve body, you don’t need the controller. Only problem is it’s a manual valve body, meaning whatever gear you put the shifter in, that’s the gear it goes in and stays in. No automatic shifts. Depending on who’s valve body, and model, it may be a forward or reverse shift pattern. It may also require some wiring and switch for the lockup converter.

You can install a stock valve body to get the automatic shifts back, but then you still need a controller Chances are the transmission will need to come apart to have parts reinstalled that were removed for the manual valve body. If you can find a part number or manufacturer of the valve body that would help.

The transmission might still be a good deal, last manual valve body I bought for a 4L80 was 600 bucks (that included a transbrake).

If you have no plans for power upgrades, and just have to have a overdrive, a properly built 700 would be much cheaper and easier.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tetz73