454 serpentine conversion(KWIK PERFORMANCE) HAVE YOU DONE IT? I did.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
In my video its not a bash, but just to show some issues. Im not sure if I have issues on the pass side of the bracket yet. I'm waiting on KWIK to respond with what we are going to do. It is a cool set up and takes ALOT of weight off the front of engine. Plus it lets you keep A/C.
If you like the video, please like, subscribe and comment. I dont get paid, but it helps so youtube can
spread my video's everywhere. Thanks

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Had it on my 502 ci to adapt sbc aluminum serp brackets. Bolted up fine for me.

Ended up ditching them for real deal 454 serp stuff from @bucket
Still have it if someone wants it.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I used a Kwik Performance kit on my Mark IV 454 without any issues. The weight savings was nice but not a concern for me, I really love how tight everything is vs how spread out an actual bbc set up is.

There are a TON of kit combinations based on which brackets, pullies and and model bbc you're working with so I'm guessing something isn't matching with the kits you have.

For future reference, the passenger side serpentine bracket on many 4.3's does not have the smog pump provision which really cleans up the look of that side.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
In my video its not a bash, but just to show some issues. Im not sure if I have issues on the pass side of the bracket yet. I'm waiting on KWIK to respond with what we are going to do. It is a cool set up and takes ALOT of weight off the front of engine. Plus it lets you keep A/C.
If you like the video, please like, subscribe and comment. I dont get paid, but it helps so youtube can
spread my video's everywhere. Thanks

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I'm super confused by what you are trying to do here and why you would need any adapter kit. Shouldn't those brackets be able to just bolt right up to the Gen VI block? My 97 Gen VI came with two cast aluminum brackets that look very similar to what you are bolting up there and they just bolted straight to the head and block. Why all the spacers and adapters? They arent really heavy at all either. The only difference I can see is that the AC compressor is much smaller on mine and on the Drivers side, with the alternator on the passenger side top. I can maybe post a pic of that setup and maybe weigh it also if you wanted to see it.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I'm super confused by what you are trying to do here and why you would need any adapter kit. Shouldn't those brackets be able to just bolt right up to the Gen VI block? My 97 Gen VI came with two cast aluminum brackets that look very similar to what you are bolting up there and they just bolted straight to the head and block. Why all the spacers and adapters? They arent really heavy at all either. The only difference I can see is that the AC compressor is much smaller on mine and on the Drivers side, with the alternator on the passenger side top. I can maybe post a pic of that setup and maybe weigh it also if you wanted to see it.

The kit adapts an sbc serpentine set up to a bbc, smaller / tighter / etc.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl

Ah, he just says in the video "to fit a 92 serpentine belt system" no mention that it is to put a SBC serpentine system. I wonder what the weight savings actually is? It seems like it wouldn't be a whole lot with the extra brackets, bolts and such. I'm also curious if it would be any lighter than the factory 99 BBC brackets.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Ah, he just says in the video "to fit a 92 serpentine belt system" no mention that it is to put a SBC serpentine system. I wonder what the weight savings actually is? It seems like it wouldn't be a whole lot with the extra brackets, bolts and such. I'm also curious if it would be any lighter than the factory 99 BBC brackets.

Yes way lighter then the 99 brackets. WAY TO BULKY, thats why I sold them and got the KWIK PERFORMANCE. 88/92 camaro/firebird brackets
are the best to use for swaps. Truck brackets sit to high, small block and big block!!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

I always assumed that the biggest selling point was the fact that small block brackets are usually much easier to come by. And the big block crank pulley was readily available at the dealer, but I'm guessing it's not now.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Yes way lighter then the 99 brackets. WAY TO BULKY, thats why I sold them and got the KWIK PERFORMANCE. 88/92 camaro/firebird brackets
are the best to use for swaps. Truck brackets sit to high, small block and big block!!

Seems like we're splitting literally less than 20 pounds.

Stamped Steel bbc brackets vs aluminum adapters and cast aluminum brackets

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Seems like we're splitting literally less than 20 pounds.

Stamped Steel bbc brackets vs aluminum adapters and cast aluminum brackets

Maybe the weight is just the Vortec style BBC brackets. They might have been cast steel?

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I always assumed that the biggest selling point was the fact that small block brackets are usually much easier to come by. And the big block crank pulley was readily available at the dealer, but I'm guessing it's not now.

That could be true of most buyers. For me it was purely aesthetics, I like the closer tighter grouping of the accessories - it seems to clean up the appearance.

The pulley is discontinued now, I was lucky enough to get one before they dried up.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Maybe the weight is just the Vortec style BBC brackets. They might have been cast steel?

Vortec was cast steel brackets, and big and bulky! and still heavy. Thats what I took off the 99 454.

You must be registered for see images attach

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87