454 Big Block Chevy Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rat77

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Good afternoon,my first rebuild will be this big block, I want this to be a daily driver, with good horsepower, off of pump gas. If anyone could walk me through, Cams, pistons, heads etc. thinking on getting a th400 too. would be much appreciated to get some feed back, link to some build all that good stuff. Send me a message thanks have a good day

You must be registered for see images attach

BigDaddy72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Chassis Cab
Engine Size
There are lots of guys on here that build their own, me included.

But if you are interested Mark Jones is a professional engine builder he could build you whatever you wanted. Check out his most recent thread 650hp 496.

He also has some detailed builds on YouTube. Search vortecpro there are a lot of dyno videos of his that he goes into a lot of details. Very informative.

Best wishes on your first build!

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Welcome from Texas. Mines not as good looking as the others but, it's pretty fast and does burnouts. :burnout:

It's just a BBC 454 with intake, rv cam, LT hedders and a quadrajet on top. Idk what cam it is the po just said it was a rv cam. Nothing to special but, it's really fun to drive. :driver:

Taylorb27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Here’s a stock crank, rods, block 454 I helped a good buddy of mine set up and put together.

trick flow aluminum 113cc heads, 22cc dome pistons, hydraulic roller cam 225/231 112lsa. Figured to be around the 9.7:1 compression area.

It’s in his 81 k10 and running with a decent built th350. Haven’t driven it much beings it is in primer but it turns his 35’s no problem at all. Goes in this weekend for paint actually.

AKguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Crew Cab Silverado
Engine Size
Nothing radical here, just wanted reasonable torque for acdaily driver and occasional towing in front of the TH400:

Goodwrench 4-bolt, Heads 14092360 1985-89 open chamber, oval port, “peanut” Intake Valve Size-2.06, Exhaust Valve Size-1.72, Intake port vol-253 cc., bored .030”, original crank and rods, Comp Xtreme Energy Hydraulic roller cam XR264HR Part #11-413-8, Weiand 8122WND intake for oval port with the Sniper EFI and hyperspark.

Sealed power 1404M cam bearings

Manley 10714-8 Street Flo Stainless Intake Valves 2.065

Manley 10717-8 Street Flo Stainless Exhaust Valves 1.725

Double roller timing set

Matching Comp 1.7 rockers, roller lifters and springs

Comp Cams 203 thrust bearing and wear plate

Comp Cams 205 cam button

Speed Pro 8KH426CP 30 pistons with coateed skirts

Coated main and rod bearings

Unfortunately, the tall covers were too tight to the firewall.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Good afternoon,my first rebuild will be this big block, I want this to be a daily driver, with good horsepower, off of pump gas. If anyone could walk me through, Cams, pistons, heads etc. thinking on getting a th400 too. would be much appreciated to get some feed back, link to some build all that good stuff. Send me a message thanks have a good day

The problem is, there is a lot of different ways to get where you are trying to go. The answer to heads, pistons, and cam will really come down to what you are wanting to do with the truck and what condition it is in now. It looks like you at least have a block... looks like Mark IV? Did you get an entire rotating assembly and heads with it too? If so, what heads? What's your budget?

If you got a complete engine, and you are planning on just having a mild street/truck/towing type engine... I would suggest just getting the heads you have now rebuilt. Even basic iron aftermarket heads will run you $1,000/ea. I had my stock L29 heads completely redone with cleaning, new guides installed, guides clearanced to allow more valve lift, machined for positive lock viton seals, basic valve job, rotator eliminators installed and new springs/retainers installed and spring pressures checked for $600 total.

If the block is in good shape and doesn't need to be bored over, you can just keep your stock pistons and get a hone and new rings. If you need them bored, you can get the proper pistons to get a good compression ratio with the cylinder heads you have. Usually the older truck 454's will have really low compression. Bumping it up to 9-9.5:1 will really help the power and drivability.

Cam should be chosen based on the previous engine internal choices and the expected use case. Just call the cam company of choice and let them know what you have and what you expect to be doing with the truck. They will recommend a good cam for you.

Rat77

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Or this....not as purdy as Paladin's though...
Hey, I’m sure it’s better than mine at the moment haha,looks good though

Rat77

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
There are lots of guys on here that build their own, me included.

But if you are interested Mark Jones is a professional engine builder he could build you whatever you wanted. Check out his most recent thread 650hp 496.

He also has some detailed builds on YouTube. Search vortecpro there are a lot of dyno videos of his that he goes into a lot of details. Very informative.

Best wishes on your first build!

Appreciate the feed back I’ll definitely check him out, thanks so much

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheDuke